VDMSound 2.1.0 (Gamepad support!)
TrAndUbForGlidos.exe as Installer for TR1
TR1 CD@German
XP_SP2
Soundchip CMI8738
GF7950GT
IP4@3,06GHZ
2GB RAM

I just want to play TR1 from CD with the VDMSound gamepad support and background sound and I don't want any music or additional textures. I cannot install the game without Glidos-installer.

PROBLEM: Everything starts and looks so fine! But after 5min of playing the background sound suddenly disapears. 🙁 The game-in audio settings say: fine!

THEN I tried something: I successfully installed TR1 on my simple Notebook in the original way from the CD, replaced the tomb.exe and copied the original tombraid folder to the PC where I gave it another try - and the background sound stayed!

For verifying I tried it several times and the result has always been the same. Playing with the files installed by the latest Glidos-installer, CD-Emulation doesn't work properly. 😵

So what does the latest installer do wrong? It's just coincidence I could install TR1 on another XP-System and was able to make it finally run properly on the PC by using Original-Folder. It doesn't resolve the issue itself. 😐 Further it may help others with the same problem knowing what to do to bypass the issue.

Could someone please inform the developers about this obvious Installer-Bug as I got a feeling it's not a Glidos-Bug. 😖 (cave: Language Issue?)

Thank you and by

Andee1

Reply 1 of 14, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

TrAndUbForGlidos.exe installs Kevin Bracey's patched version of the 3dfx TOMB.EXE. One needs that to use the audio pack, but perhaps that is causing your problem. You could try initially using TrAndUbForGlidos.exe and then replace the installed TOMB.EXE with that from your CD.

But better still, why not just use the audio pack. It means it doesn't have to keep going to CD for the background sounds, and the extra sounds are not really annoying even if you don't really want them.

Reply 2 of 14, by andee1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OMG! 😳 It's really the tomb.exe from TrAndUbForGlidos.exe itself that causes the problem. I tried it with an older 3dfx-tomb.exe version and the background sound went on!

As I'd like to play with GLIDOS I don't want to replace the Kevin Bracey's version with the original one from the CD but but better with a previous 3dfx-tomb.exe. 😉

I really didn't know there are different kinds of 3dfx-tomb.exe's with exactly the same size! That's a point users should know, isn't it? 😉

Conclusion: The Kevin Bracey's tomb.exe may cause sound problems on systems (and DOES on my system) when using pure CD-Emulation without any audio-packs.

Thanks for the hint at those hard-to-find-out version differences! 😀

Reply 3 of 14, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok, good. Sounds like you are sored, except...

andee1 wrote:

As I'd like to play with GLIDOS I don't want to replace the Kevin Bracey's version with the original one from the CD but but better with a previous 3dfx-tomb.exe. 😉

I haven't managed to undestand what you are saying there.

Reply 4 of 14, by andee1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sored? Why? 😮

1.) As I used the original TOMBRAID folder from the Lap I replaced the original tomb.exe with an older 3dfx-tomb.exe stored on my PC-HDD not knowing yet there are 2 (or even more?)) kinds of 3dfx-tomb.exe's. So I thought something else as the 3dfx-tomb.exe must have been wrong with the installer - I was wrong.

2.)

Glidos wrote:

You could try initially using TrAndUbForGlidos.exe and then replace the installed TOMB.EXE with that from your CD.

Yes. After learning about Kevin Bracey's patched version I had to change my strategy, but instead of using the ORIGINAL tomb.exe from the CD - which would have made it impossible to play with GLIDOS - I've decided to try it with another 3dfx-tomb.exe version available and it worked well - background sounds haven't disappeared.

So that's just the way I'd like to play: TR1 with German voices from my CD and I am ready to buy GLIDOS now or is there anything else I should know, any other problems I have to expect? 😢

I hope you understand my humble English better now... 😵

Reply 7 of 14, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
andee1 wrote:

So that's just the way I'd like to play: TR1 with German voices from my CD

Ah right. I undestand now. Of course if German is your native language then you's prefer the German sound track. We must try to create a German audio pack sometime.

and I am ready to buy GLIDOS now or is there anything else I should know, any other problems I have to expect?

Nothing I know of.

Reply 9 of 14, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
andee1 wrote:

What exactly could I do to help speeding up that process? 😉

Well, you could probably create it. Just need to identify the CD tracks that have speach. Rip them from the German CD, compress them as mp3 and substitute them for the corresponding files in the audio pack.

Reply 11 of 14, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
andee1 wrote:

And does the Glidos-Community have any interest on the German-Audio-Pack after successful creation and test or is it just good for my own fun? 😀

I'd have thought there'd be a fair bit of interest. There're quite a number of German users

Reply 13 of 14, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What method of installing did you use? If using Glidos, probably best is to use the preconfigured archive avaiable from http://www.glidos.net.

The version of tomb.exe to which you refer is likely to be either the software rendering one, or the one that directly drives 3dfx hardware rather than via the glide2x.ovl driver.

Reply 14 of 14, by andee1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi. Back again. 😀

1.) I've made an "Audio" folder which includes all the German original tracks from the PS1-CD ripped and renamed equally to the English track folder content and it works fine. If you want to provide it to the German community you may download and use it. Just tell me your preferred hoster for uploading.

2.) It should be mentioned on the German-Glidos-website (installation of Glidos) that when one decides to use the "preconfigured installer" he MUST use the audio-pack as well otherwise different sound troubles will occur or in other words

if one decides to use CD-emulation only (language reasons e.g.) he MUST NOT use the "preconfigured installer". I tested it on a PC and a Lap (XP) and on both systems the background sound always stops after around a minute for the rest of the level.

Cheers

Andee1

XP@SP3
2GB@RAM
IP4@3,06GHZ
GF7950GT
GLIDOS 1.47
VDMSound 2.10