VOGONS

SBVGM (DOS) VGM Player

Topic actions

Reply 500 of 507, by Error 0x7CF

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Error 0x7CF wrote on 2024-02-10, 21:12:

I'm not positive (haven't checked, might later) that it can successfully export to VGM, I think ESFM is not covered within the VGM spec... But I hope it can. I just want a hardware method of playing these wicked tunes back.

It is Not supported by the VGM format, and so Furnace will not export it! Oops, my bad. Feel free to ignore.

The only way to currently play these back on hardware would be if someone implemented a player for the Furnace Text or Furnace Command Stream export formats, or plain .fur support, any of which would be an unreasonable ask of an existing VGM player...

Old precedes antique.

Reply 501 of 507, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I asked before about ESFM being added to the VGM spec, but receiving no answer I just filled out the header the same as OPL3 and then used the reserved 0xCF command for ESFM register writes. Now that ESFM is in Furnace and there are some compositions, hopefully they settle on a plan so VGMs can also be exported. Only problem is fitting the files in conventional memory...

again another retro game on itch: https://90soft90.itch.io/shmup-salad

Reply 502 of 507, by OPLx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Error 0x7CF wrote on 2024-02-10, 23:19:
Error 0x7CF wrote on 2024-02-10, 21:12:

I'm not positive (haven't checked, might later) that it can successfully export to VGM, I think ESFM is not covered within the VGM spec... But I hope it can. I just want a hardware method of playing these wicked tunes back.

It is Not supported by the VGM format, and so Furnace will not export it! Oops, my bad. Feel free to ignore.

The only way to currently play these back on hardware would be if someone implemented a player for the Furnace Text or Furnace Command Stream export formats, or plain .fur support, any of which would be an unreasonable ask of an existing VGM player...

Yes, currently ESFM isn't supported by the VGM spec. Should it get added it's not that much work to add support for it. Since Furnace is still under regular updates, I'm wondering if the command stream export format is constantly in flux or not.

Reply 503 of 507, by OPLx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bakemono wrote on 2024-02-11, 15:00:

I asked before about ESFM being added to the VGM spec, but receiving no answer I just filled out the header the same as OPL3 and then used the reserved 0xCF command for ESFM register writes. Now that ESFM is in Furnace and there are some compositions, hopefully they settle on a plan so VGMs can also be exported. Only problem is fitting the files in conventional memory...

I think the best way to possibly get EFSM added is for there to be ESFM examples from games shown. On VGMRips there are OPL3 VGMs made from MIDI files so I reckon that the significant difference in how ESFM sounds could show that there's good reason (many games using it).

Reply 504 of 507, by OPLx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

SBVGM v1.44 is available from http://www.oplx.com/code/

This update includes:

• Fixed popping sound while loading instruments to OPL3/OPL4 for RP2A03 emulation.
  • Fixed bug where OPL3/OPL4 was not properly reset after playing RP2A03 VGMs.

Thanks to @evgs for pointing out this bug!

Reply 505 of 507, by Error 0x7CF

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
OPLx wrote on 2024-02-12, 12:29:

Since Furnace is still under regular updates, I'm wondering if the command stream export format is constantly in flux or not.

In the export menu, the command stream format is specifically called out as constantly being in flux and being largely for development purposes, yeah.

Old precedes antique.

Reply 506 of 507, by Error 0x7CF

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hardware playback method, requires XP system with ISA slots. Not relevant to this thread directly but worth noting there are now ways to do it.

https://github.com/gtr3qq/furnace_newdemotune … ull/tree/master

Old precedes antique.

Reply 507 of 507, by OPLx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Under the official v0.6.1 release assets, there seems to be a pre-built WinXP version. I don't have a machine running WinXP, so I've no idea if it will work. Hopefully ESFM will get added in to the VGM spec at some point in the future.

Having said that, I still think the OPL3 has a lot of tricks up its sleeve!