VOGONS

First post, by wbc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey there again!

I would like to present here a tiny and totally sporadic project i've been working recently - a musicdisk (or, in other words, an executable compilation of tunes) for ESFM - an enhanced FM synthesizer found in ESS AudioDrive/Solo-1 series of audio cards. I've been researching retro PC FM chips for a while, and was always curious about ESFM (which was also researched at Vogons). As you may know, the multi-system chiptune music editor called Furnace Tracker added ESFM support in one of recent updates, and after listening to a couple of demo songs, I immediately came up with an idea of playing them on real hardware. After a couple of sleepless days and nights, hacking register dump from Furnace, writing a player, music data packer and user interface, it ended up with this little musicdisk :)

koolness_screenshot.png
Filename
koolness_screenshot.png
File size
43.16 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

YouTube videos: party version video demonstrating "shell to DOS feature", and post-party version with full track list

As for system requirements, it runs at solid 60fps on my Pentium 90 + 8 MB RAM + S3 Trio64 + ES1869, but I guess it should work on 486DX too, just a little bit slower (interface-wise). FPU is required, though, as interface bits were optimized for Pentium. As a bonus, it includes a "shell to DOS" feature, where you can listen to tunes while working with ordinary DOS applications - with a bit of trickery (read included .txt file for more info) you can even run DOOM under it! :D

Download HERE // also available on Pouet and Demozoo

P.S. it does even run directly from floppy, by the way :)

--wbcbz7

Reply 1 of 4, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got an ESS card that could use some testing... I guess I've just found the test suite 🤣

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 3 of 4, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well damn. I don't think I've ever heard an ESS card before, and if I wasn't told what this was, I'd never believe it's all FM. Killer tunes!

And great work on the player - that's a nice little trick to reliably poll for vsync despite the humungous overhead. Those silly register write delays can work in your favor after all. :)

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 4 of 4, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Terrific music. Big ESS fan and collector of ESS cards. Such a shame that ESFM was so overlooked in the DOS era. Too late and not marketed. Broken music... I am looking at you Warcraft 2.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.