VOGONS

Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Topic actions

Reply 921 of 3355, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Actually, Blip's located in New York City.

Curiously, their response eMail to me earlier today suggested that nothing was or had gone wrong, so I sent them every little detail I had about what happened to see if perhaps I can get a better explanation from them. Their tech support is fairly good and they always respond to stuff personally so I'll find out soon enough if they have any details.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 922 of 3355, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gemini000 wrote:
DonutKing wrote:

And thanks for spoiling the ending in the video 😜

It took me 20 hours of gameplay to get that far and I was racing through the last 80 metres trying to get them over with as fast as possible. If the ending was impressive in some way I wouldn't've shown it.

My reasoning was to prevent people from forcing themselves through the rest of the game if they got 10 hours in and got bored so that they would know they wouldn't be missing anything special if they decided to just move on to other games.

I'm just joking dude. Games like this are more about the journey than the destination. 😀

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 923 of 3355, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Apparently, the entire stability of Blip depends upon time not being delayed by a second. XD

Blip got back to me and said that the "leap second" we experienced is what caused the hour-long outage. I guess Y2K would've been more threatening if it added a second to our clocks. :P

DonutKing wrote:
Gemini000 wrote:
DonutKing wrote:

And thanks for spoiling the ending in the video :P

It took me 20 hours of gameplay to get that far and I was racing through the last 80 metres trying to get them over with as fast as possible. If the ending was impressive in some way I wouldn't've shown it.

My reasoning was to prevent people from forcing themselves through the rest of the game if they got 10 hours in and got bored so that they would know they wouldn't be missing anything special if they decided to just move on to other games.

I'm just joking dude. Games like this are more about the journey than the destination. :)

OK, but still, I had a good reason. ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 924 of 3355, by The Gecko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gemini000 wrote:

Apparently, the entire stability of Blip depends upon time not being delayed by a second. 🤣

Blip got back to me and said that the "leap second" we experienced is what caused the hour-long outage. I guess Y2K would've been more threatening if it added a second to our clocks. 😜

Well, 2K was only potentially an issue if you were using date+times broken down into their separate elements (ie. year, month, day...) or in string formats, and used 2 characters to represent the year. The underlying timekeeping (almost universally seconds since UNIX epoch - Jan 1, 1970 00:00:00 UTC) remained the same and wasn't affected.

In this case, some people ended up just stepping their clocks forward 1s, and I guess some software/systems weren't able to cope with the system time changing unexpectedly and died.

I liked google's approach to this, which was to slew their clocks forward over a period of time, so the rate of the system clock just smoothly increased until they'd gained a second (if you're into time synchronization, this is how NTP does time corrections anyway)

If all else fails, use fire.

Reply 926 of 3355, by Stull

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's too bad Splatterhouse was never released for DOS. Gemini could totally do an episode in-character. 😜

My need to engage in homicidal behaviour on a massive scale cannot be corrected but, uh, I have no other way to fulfill my needs.

Reply 927 of 3355, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stull wrote:

It's too bad Splatterhouse was never released for DOS. Gemini could totally do an episode in-character. 😜

My need to engage in homicidal behaviour on a massive scale cannot be corrected but, uh, I have no other way to fulfill my needs.

Hahaha!

Is that a raincoat?

Yes it is! In '87, Huey released this, Fore, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip to be Square", a song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity, and the importance of trends, it's also a personal statement about the band itself.

HEY PAUL!!!

Today's game is Splatterhouse.

😁

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 929 of 3355, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 92 - Catacomb 3-D Series is online!
(Please note that this is a mature rated episode.)

So... yeah... ALL four Catacomb 3-D games in the space of 14 minutes. They really are that simple when it comes down to it, though I think I may've over-compressed the information I provide in this episode. Ah well.

Though I've got a real stumper for the next game I'm covering, and since this episode is mature rated, here's the hint: It's an incredibly obscure 3D space shooter that was made in Canada and is not listed on Wikipedia or on MobyGames. Considering there's not many 3D space shooters for DOS, there's only so many possibilities. ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 931 of 3355, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Heh, that FM track from C3D: the Descent was recycled from Commander Keen 4. I'm assuming that the mature rating is due to the moral scandal of referring to Bobby Prince's music as monontonous. ;)

Having sci-fi elements in a fantasy setting wasn't such a novelty even back then - I refer thee to the first two Ultimas. Have a spot soft for this kind of thing, unabashed classic pulp atmosphere and all.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 932 of 3355, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

With the graphics, the gameplay, and Bobby Prince's music, you really do get a sense of how Wolfenstein 3D evolved out of Catacomb 3D.

BTW, the earlier 1991 release of Catacomb 3D was called "A New Dimension", not "The Descent". Also, you were Petton Everhail the wizard from the 2D Catacomb game, and the BBG (Big Bad Guy) was Grelminar The Lich. Nemesis was some other wizard you were trying to find, but somehow became the BBG in the 1993 re-release and all subsequent Catacomb games from Softdisk. I suppose Nemesis is a more fitting name for a BBG.

Reply 933 of 3355, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ripsaw8080 wrote:

With the graphics, the gameplay, and Bobby Prince's music, you really do get a sense of how Wolfenstein 3D evolved out of Catacomb 3D.

BTW, the earlier 1991 release of Catacomb 3D was called "A New Dimension", not "The Descent". Also, you were Petton Everhail the wizard from the 2D Catacomb game, and the BBG (Big Bad Guy) was Grelminar The Lich. Nemesis was some other wizard you were trying to find, but somehow became the BBG in the 1993 re-release and all subsequent Catacomb games from Softdisk. I suppose Nemesis is a more fitting name for a BBG.

The pink demons from Doom?

2cat3d_5.png

Reply 934 of 3355, by Calvero

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

http://www.flatrocksoft.com sells the Catacomb Complete Series featuring five Catacomb games, but there are six games in the series. I guess they forgot about the second 2D Catacomb game (which also has a hub).

Reply 936 of 3355, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VileRancour wrote:

Heh, that FM track from C3D: the Descent was recycled from Commander Keen 4.

So is the "Skull n Bones" game at the beginning. It's Paddle War.

Makes sense, since those guys left Softdisk to make Id.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 939 of 3355, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:

Are they actually authorized to sell them?

They should be. Flat Rock Software owns all the Softdisk Publishing software licenses. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)