VOGONS

Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Topic actions

Reply 1420 of 3355, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Scott Miller was playing games on a regular basis back then, so I think it was a sort of tribute to Zork. He was even a fan of Rogue but didn't like how one's progress primarily came down to luck; that's actually a big reason why Kroz exists is because Rogue was too random. ;D

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 1422 of 3355, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 118 - Worthy Opponent is online, despite the threat of thunderstorms! :D

This was an interesting episode to put together. Firstly, I absolutely needed to get a friend to help since it's the first game I've covered that's multiplayer ONLY. Secondly, it gave me an opportunity to talk about DOSBox's multiplayer capabilities including how to set them up (at least for null-modem connections). Thirdly, I was able to use the new ADG font I've developed for use with Deluxe Paint 2E, which I do most of the ADG artwork in, and it literally cut the time it took to make all the art assets for the episode in HALF. :3

Also, said friend isn't typically into retro-games AFAIK, which explains why I won most of the games we played. He ALMOST won the Backgammon game and the ONLY reason I won was because I had rolled double sixes at the end. I literally had a 1 in 12 chance of rolling something that would let me win at that point since he was guaranteed to win the next roll no matter what! :O

Fun times! :)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1423 of 3355, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 119 - SimCity 2000 is online! :)

Sorry it's a few hours later than usual. After breaking my voice temporarily and having a nasty coughing fit during the voice recording I kinda didn't really feel like working on the episode much for the rest of the night, so I got all of my editing work done last afternoon and just a couple hours ago.

I know there's quite a number of things I don't bring up in the episode, but SimCity 2000 is so chock-full of features that it would make for a very long and dragged-out episode had I gone into every little detail. I briefely mention a few of these things in the additional information section below the video.

And yeah, I found about the dimetric/isometric thing AFTER giving the hint for the episode, but still, you never hear anyone use the word "dimetric", and many "isometric" games out there are actually using dimetric perspectives anyways, so... umm... SEMANTICS! :B

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1425 of 3355, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh god, If I had a dollar for every hour I spent playing this game (and leaving the computer run all day while at school). That said, I hate how you play. surrounding a stadium with light commercial zone? WHY? Granted its more of an OCD thing than anything else.

For the record, there is a hacked simcity 2000 floating around the internet. Which is completely playable even in windows 7.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 1426 of 3355, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

That said, I hate how you play. surrounding a stadium with light commercial zone? WHY?

So that people like you would say stuff like that. ;D

Actually, I change things up every time I play. Placing light zones around 4x4 structures centred within 6x6 areas was an idea I never had before and decided to try out this time around. That's a part of what makes the game fun really is that you can do stuff like that in the first place! ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1428 of 3355, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 120 - Worms is online!

And by some strange coincidence, GOG has Team 17 stuff on sale this weekend! I swear that was completely unintentional but very good timing! :D

Actually, truth be told, while I played the heck out of the shareware version of Worms as a kid, I only ever really enjoyed it when playing with friends. In fact, most of the Worms games are best enjoyed with other real people. Playing them solo just doesn't have the same appeal. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1430 of 3355, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Blip and Android have never behaved well together. Even their latest App solution through Google Play is getting mixed reviews. If Blip has any major failing as a video hosting service, thier Android support is probably it. :P

I know some people would rather I switch everything over to YouTube, but even if YouTube becomes the better place for my videos, their strange policy handling and lack of tech support will probably encourage me to keep my videos in both places just in case something stupid happens. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1431 of 3355, by Stull

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gemini000 wrote:

In fact, most of the Worms games are best enjoyed with other real people. Playing them solo just doesn't have the same appeal. 😜

This is true only until one of your friends becomes a Ninja Rope god and can destroy you repeatedly in only a few rounds. 😵 🤣

Reply 1432 of 3355, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stull wrote:
Gemini000 wrote:

In fact, most of the Worms games are best enjoyed with other real people. Playing them solo just doesn't have the same appeal. 😜

This is true only until one of your friends becomes a Ninja Rope god and can destroy you repeatedly in only a few rounds. 😵 🤣

This is why nobody plays games with me anymore.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 1434 of 3355, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gemini000 wrote:

Blip and Android have never behaved well together. Even their latest App solution through Google Play is getting mixed reviews. If Blip has any major failing as a video hosting service, thier Android support is probably it. 😜

I know some people would rather I switch everything over to YouTube, but even if YouTube becomes the better place for my videos, their strange policy handling and lack of tech support will probably encourage me to keep my videos in both places just in case something stupid happens. 😜

Well if i'm not mistaken you were talking about hosting YT as well when there is enough time, if that is still true one can patiently wait and watch on the desktop till then.

EDIT: also the how YT counts video popularity has changed putting game related content at the top of he charts.

this video does a good job of explaining how YT rates videos now, i promise. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgMqhEMhVV8&fe … 5FE5C4B157509C9

Reply 1435 of 3355, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for your show Asik. You're one of the the only ones who doesn't utter vulgarities every few seconds. Your shows are well made and interesting, and you have a pleasant demeanour and a proper vocabulary. Pretty good for a Canadian.

Reply 1437 of 3355, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hey, a complement is a complement, regardless of if it sounds like it has 571 hidden meanings. ;D

That, or he's just glad I don't say "aboot" or "eh?" every ten seconds. (Which is a stereotype anyways and something you very rarely hear in urban areas. I don't actually know anyone personally who says those things or who even has an accent.)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1438 of 3355, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gemini000 wrote:

Hey, a complement is a complement, regardless of if it sounds like it has 571 hidden meanings. ;D

That, or he's just glad I don't say "aboot" or "eh?" every ten seconds. (Which is a stereotype anyways and something you very rarely hear in urban areas. I don't actually know anyone personally who says those things or who even has an accent.)

For some reason the mention of Canadian stereotypes was making me think of this bit from Dave Foley:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJUgu9qr8wI

Reply 1439 of 3355, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

YouTube's monetization system is clearly targeting against specific words in video titles and descriptions because it just tagged BOTH of my filler videos about DOSBox for additional review before they were even partially uploaded, which means it's 99% likely they won't get monetized.

Which isn't too big a deal really, but it's still ridiculous when you think about it. Two of my videos with the largest amount of original content also happen to be two which YouTube doesn't want to monetize because their automated system thinks that because they're related to DOSBox they must not contain original content. >_>;

Seriously, how do some of you who upload to YouTube on a regular basis deal with their fully-automated BS? Very few things on this planet bother me but their total reliance on automation over Human decision-making does. :P

EDIT: And just as I finished this post, Filler #4 came back as monetized. #3 is still under review... wasn't expecting THAT... :o

EDIT #2: And now, a few hours later, both are monetized... Considering the things I've already experienced in relation to this, not to mention the things I've read and heard about this process, I honestly did not expect either video to come back as being monetized, let alone both of them... Maybe the system isn't as stupid as I've been led to believe... :o

...I'd still prefer it if real people were involved in the process though. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)