VOGONS

PCEm. Another PC emulator.

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 560 of 1046, by ppgrainbow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SA1988 wrote:

I'm adding support for Windows 2000 as a guest on PCem 😀

That sounds awesome! Windows Millennium and Windows 2000 were the last operating systems to run on a 486-based processor. Windows XP requires a Pentium processor or better. Pentium based emulation is something that we haven't add support for yet.

What would also be awesome is support for multiple configuration files and adding the ability to saving and loading PCem configuration files other than PCem.cfg by default.

Reply 562 of 1046, by ppgrainbow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SA1988 wrote:

seeing how Windows Millennium Edition actually runs on PCem (with some caveats), why not Windows 2000 too? (even though they are from different OS families).

I have ran Windows 2000 on my host PC before for four years and I'm currently running it under VirtualBox right now. So, yeah...I think that it would be a good idea to implement Windows 2000 support under PCem in upcoming revisions of PCem. 😀

Reply 565 of 1046, by SA1988

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ppgrainbow wrote:
SA1988 wrote:

another reason of implementing support of Win2000 on PCem is because MESS 0.153 can run it in the at486 driver.

Awesome! 😀 I don't know if Windows 2000 will run with the AMI WinBIOS 486 or Award Sis496/497 drivers yet.

it can run in the Award 430VX PCI one, it just needs some work in the cpu emulation as Win2000 makes use of the REP NOP instruction.

Reply 566 of 1046, by ppgrainbow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SA1988 wrote:
ppgrainbow wrote:
SA1988 wrote:

another reason of implementing support of Win2000 on PCem is because MESS 0.153 can run it in the at486 driver.

Awesome! 😀 I don't know if Windows 2000 will run with the AMI WinBIOS 486 or Award Sis496/497 drivers yet.

it can run in the Award 430VX PCI one, it just needs some work in the cpu emulation as Win2000 makes use of the REP NOP instruction.

Thank you very much! What about the IDT WinChip BIOS?

Reply 569 of 1046, by Windows95Fan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Windows95Fan wrote:
Because of the following lines in the nvr.c file, I can't change the virtual PC BIOS time and date on PCem: […]
Show full quote

Because of the following lines in the nvr.c file, I can't change the virtual PC BIOS time and date on PCem:

void getnvrtime()
{
int c,d;
uint8_t baknvr[10];
// memset(nvrram,0,10);
// return;
memcpy(baknvr,nvrram,10);
GetLocalTime(&systemtime);
d=systemtime.wSecond%10;
c=systemtime.wSecond/10;
nvrram[0]=d|(c<<4);
d=systemtime.wMinute%10;
c=systemtime.wMinute/10;
nvrram[2]=d|(c<<4);
d=systemtime.wHour%10;
c=systemtime.wHour/10;
nvrram[4]=d|(c<<4);
d=systemtime.wDayOfWeek%10;
c=systemtime.wDayOfWeek/10;
nvrram[6]=d|(c<<4);
d=systemtime.wDay%10;
c=systemtime.wDay/10;
nvrram[7]=d|(c<<4);
d=systemtime.wMonth%10;
c=systemtime.wMonth/10;
nvrram[8]=d|(c<<4);
d=systemtime.wYear%10;
c=(systemtime.wYear/10)%10;
nvrram[9]=d|(c<<4);
if (baknvr[0]!=nvrram[0] ||
baknvr[2]!=nvrram[2] ||
baknvr[4]!=nvrram[4] ||
baknvr[6]!=nvrram[6] ||
baknvr[7]!=nvrram[7] ||
baknvr[8]!=nvrram[8] ||
baknvr[9]!=nvrram[9]) nvrram[0xA]|=0x80;
}

Actually that bug can be reproduced by:

1. Booting the AMI 486 WinBIOS.
  2. Entering SETUP.
  3. Choosing Standard and then Date/Time.
  4. Pressing - or + in the numeric keypad side.

Reply 571 of 1046, by SA1988

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sarah, are you willing to support Win2000 as a guest on your emulator, so far it gets a 0x7B error (inaccessible_boot_device, second parametre is 0xc34, the rest are all 0x00)
I think it also requires the rep nop instruction.
edit: well, seeing how you got WinME working, I think your emulator should support Win2000 since WinME is after Win2000, though from different OS families (Win2000 is NT and WinME is from DOS)

Reply 576 of 1046, by ppgrainbow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SA1988 wrote:

nvm, Win2000 works now, I have added some patches to 386.c and I will release them soon.

Good work! I can't wait to see the patched 386.c file out soon! 😁

Update: On the side note, as Windows 2000 and Windows Millennium are the last versions of Windows that will work with PCem, Windows XP requires Windows Product Activation for which it won't work at all with PCem. I was lucky enough to get Windows XP installed inside VirtualBox...so, I might even try to install PCem on Windows XP inside VirtualBox! 😀

Last edited by ppgrainbow on 2014-04-16, 08:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 577 of 1046, by SarahWalker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

SA1988: Great, thanks! Can you PM me the details of what needed fixing? I was already aware of the need for REP NOP, but forgot to check it in with the previous NT fixes.

Before anyone inevitably asks, Windows 2000 is the last version of Windows that will run on the hardware PCem emulates, so there's no point at present in trying to get XP working.

Windows95Fan: I already had this conversation with you several pages ago. I don't want to have it again.

Edit: Hang on, are you Javier Donoso again? In any case, welcome to my ignore list.

Reply 578 of 1046, by Zeddicus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'd like to thank you Sarah and the other contributors to this emulator. It's a wonderful project. Also I'd like to ask you Sarah are you going to add support for other peripherals, devices? Like soundcards and videocards. I remember you started working on the ViRGE emulation. In any case thank you guys again. 😊
Cheers