VOGONS

Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Topic actions

Reply 2261 of 3347, by switchblade

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Off-topic, Kris, but it looks like you've managed to get more of your old reviews posted on YouTube now. I guess you've managed to get through with those Content-ID Claims crap?

Reply 2262 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
switchblade wrote:

Off-topic, Kris, but it looks like you've managed to get more of your old reviews posted on YouTube now. I guess you've managed to get through with those Content-ID Claims crap?

Well, now that I know more about how Content-ID works, I'm going to preemptively edit any videos which I feel may hit a wall with that, which is why the TIE Fighter episode is 4 seconds shorter on YouTube. Also, I'm leaving all uploads to sit for a day before making them public, just in case stupid things happen with them some time following the upload, as Content-ID matches among other things don't always happen immediately.

But yeah, with a little luck, I should be all up to date on the YouTube side of things in a couple weeks or so. Then I can get to editing and uploading past livestreams. :B

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 2263 of 3347, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gemini000 wrote:

I'm going to preemptively edit any videos which I feel may hit a wall with that, which is why the TIE Fighter episode is 4 seconds shorter on YouTube.

Which 4 seconds were those? I'm curious to see what in those 4 second Youtube thought was objectionable compared to other areas of the video like the opening scroll? I suspect that if you used General MIDI instead of Adlib you would have to edit more.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 2264 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Great Hierophant wrote:

Which 4 seconds were those? I'm curious to see what in those 4 second Youtube thought was objectionable compared to other areas of the video like the opening scroll? I suspect that if you used General MIDI instead of Adlib you would have to edit more.

Well, also recall I said "preemptively". This means I don't KNOW if the match would happen or not, but I'm not taking the chance because certain matches can earn copyright strikes, which in turn can disable your ability to upload videos beyond certain lengths among other things. You can dispute such matches, but losing a dispute is worse than simply getting the strike and is not something I want to have to do. I only won the dispute on the X-Wing video because NONE of the three parties claiming ownership to the Star Wars theme actually did anything and they all just let the dispute period expire.

The four seconds cut from the TIE Fighter episode were from the Darth Vader theme in the opening.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 2265 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 159 - Math Rescue is online!

So, we're starting edutainment month off with an interesting case: A game some people may have fond memories of, and which by all logic should be at least average in quality, given that it's the sequel to Word Rescue.

However... I ran into so many issues trying to play through this game I'm not giving it a free pass on the nostalgia train, so apologies ahead of time to anyone who actually liked this thing... because I really rip into it in this weeks episode. :B

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 2266 of 3347, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Secret Island of Dr. Quandary might be worth covering. It's an educational puzzle point-n-click adventure from MECC with the usual 'collect these to get home' plot

Their dither used for the backgrounds can get a little obnoxious though which ages it quite worse than other contemporary VGA adventures of the 91-92 period. However, given that's MECC who haven't forgotten about the whole videogame concept yet at that point, makes up for it 😀

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2267 of 3347, by switchblade

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Played the shareware version of Math Rescue a long time ago. Don't remember much about it, though.

What surprises me is that there's an option in the game where you can skip all the math problems completely, so you don't have to answer any of them throughout the game. A very weird choice considering that it's supposed to be educational. Also, the game doesn't look like that it even attempts to teach you HOW to do the maths. No multiplication tables or tutorials on solving mathematical problems.

If anything, this game kinda reminds me of Mario Teaches Typing that LGR reviewed a long time ago. It's not entertaining, and it doesn't do much to educate or teach the player about the subject material. The game just kinda expects you to know how to type properly; although it only briefly explains to you the ASDF JKL; typing layout, but that's just about it.

Reply 2269 of 3347, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In the next episode of ADG, Gemini000 smokes either a bunch of sativa or indica and listens to The Doors, Bob Marley, Skousen & Ingemann (with the song Herfra hvor vi står ), and perhaps even some steppeulvene (with the song itsi bitsi), cause he is going to Nepal. Since he had a brain aneurysm.. Seriously Gemini000, what the F happened during your playthrough ? Was that humour ? Cause I could not get it AT ALL. If it wasn't serious. Then it could seriously be used as an anti-gaming video. And if it was serious, I must point out. You have lost it. I know you have written, you ran into trouble playing the game in DOSbox, well I must say. Damn boy, it is just a (only curse-word in this long message) FUCKING game mate 😀 also you could try to find some cheats for the game, since there are cheats for this game.

Reply 2270 of 3347, by switchblade

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
WolverineDK wrote:

In the next episode of ADG, Gemini000 smokes either a bunch of sativa or indica and listens to The Doors, Bob Marley, Skousen & Ingemann (with the song Herfra hvor vi står ), and perhaps even some steppeulvene (with the song itsi bitsi), cause he is going to Nepal. Since he had a brain aneurysm.. Seriously Gemini000, what the F happened during your playthrough ? Was that humour ? Cause I could not get it AT ALL. If it wasn't serious. Then it could seriously be used as an anti-gaming video. And if it was serious, I must point out. You have lost it. I know you have written, you ran into trouble playing the game in DOSbox, well I must say. Damn boy, it is just a (only curse-word in this long message) FUCKING game mate 😀 also you could try to find some cheats for the game, since there are cheats for this game.

....You're not serious about what you just said now, are you? Looks like to me you're the one who's losing it over some cheesy/somewhat morbid humor in a game review. I mean, HOLY FUCKING HELL, grow a goddamn pair and stop getting so uptight over absolutely nothing. -_-

Also, this isn't the first time he's ripped apart a game he doesn't like (ex: Skunny Kart). Mind you, probably not with the same amount of "ferociousness" like he did in this review.

Reply 2271 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
switchblade wrote:

Also, this isn't the first time he's ripped apart a game he doesn't like (ex: Skunny Kart). Mind you, probably not with the same amount of "ferociousness" like he did in this review.

Well, Skunny Kart is blatantly bad. Math Rescue is disguised as something meant to teach kids math, but is ultimately demeaning, not just to kids trying to play it, but to me as a game designer who's coded math software targeted towards Kindergarten students in the past, in that someone tried to pass it off as an educational program when it REALLY feels like very little effort was put into it.

As for WolverineDK, I'm kinda used to him overreacting to my stuff now; Happens so often it's getting easy to ignore him. One wonders why he still watches my videos... maybe he likes torturing himself? Though I should point out:

WolverineDK wrote:

Damn boy, it is just a (only curse-word in this long message) FUCKING game mate

In that same line of thinking: Damn boy, it was just a (only censored word in this short message) F_____ internet video, mate. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 2272 of 3347, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Gemini000: I enjoy (most) of your videos 😀 After all, I enjoyed your last video a lot, since Heretic kicks arse.

switchblade: Sometimes I just don't get get the humour (sometimes) Gemini000 is using. And me being a masochist ? Well, as Jesse Ventura said in the film The Running Man (great song in that film by John Parr) "that's the spirit, no pain no gain!" 😉

Seriously though Gemini000, were you trying to do a belayed 1. of April joke video ? Cause if the game was so bad. You could have used cheats though, which are there for the game.

Last edited by WolverineDK on 2015-04-06, 13:19. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2273 of 3347, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
WolverineDK wrote:

Seriously though Gemini000, were you trying to do a belayed 1. of April joke video ? Cause if the game was so bad. You could have used cheats though, which are there for the game.

It is bad game design to require you to use cheats in a kids/edutainment game to enjoy it. While it may improve the gameplay, a good kids/edutainment game has to be instantly accessible. The frustration in the game as designed is far from that. Should a kid have had to crawl through BBSes to find a cheat or break out his favorite debugger to fix the developer's broken design?

All I have to say about Skunny Kart or Wacky Wheels is Thank God I had a SNES and Super Mario Kart in 1992!

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 2274 of 3347, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

switchblade: Seriously I NEVER ripped Skunny Cart apart. Hell, in fact I just pointed out I hate, *kick in the nuts starter* and P*tr**N. And do your research about what episodes, I rip apart. Cause after all, neither Wacky Wheels or Skunny Cart was ripped apart by me. In fact, if you check out the posts. Where I rip certain episodes into smithereens. Then perhaps, it is a cultural difference between Gemini000 and I, cause I come from a country, where we call a spade a spade, in a NON racist way. Of course the Danes, me included do know how to speak properly, and without profanities. And so forth, and we used to to say , when we saw a breast and so forth on the television "oh how lovely let us have a smoke, and a glass of wine". The Danes are laid-back. Gemini000 is from Canada. He does not like to use profanities, and I do not blame him. In fact I understand him, he is "bound" in some ways by the restrictions of certain things like "stereotypical" American double standards. Such as "No cursing and swearing and no inkling of a breast or two". And so forth. Unless he is putting a warning up. Which is sad. Also switchblade, you should try reading the "Scandinavia and the world" comic. In some ways it makes perfect sense about the Danes (to some extend). Unless you are a Dane yourself, then thoughts are toll-free.

Great Hierophant: I never did have or played SMK on the SNES, but I enjoyed it on the N64, and there I also enjoyed Diddy Kong Racing.

Reply 2275 of 3347, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Great Hierophant wrote:

All I have to say about Skunny Kart or Wacky Wheels is Thank God I had a SNES and Super Mario Kart in 1992!

Same. I never understood the rampant high-praise Apogee fanboyism for WW. There were definitely superior 'kart' racing games for the PC at the time (Superkarts particularly)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2276 of 3347, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:
Great Hierophant wrote:

Same. I never understood the rampant high-praise Apogee fanboyism for WW. There were definitely superior 'kart' racing games for the PC at the time (Superkarts particularly)

I find it generally difficult to appreciate most of the Apogee-style side scrollers of the early 90s, but I grew up with the NES and SNES and used PCs to play adventure games and first person shooters.

Reply 2277 of 3347, by switchblade

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
WolverineDK wrote:

switchblade: Seriously I NEVER ripped Skunny Cart apart. Hell, in fact I just pointed out I hate, *kick in the nuts starter* and P*tr**N. And do your research about what episodes, I rip apart. Cause after all, neither Wacky Wheels or Skunny Cart was ripped apart by me. In fact, if you check out the posts. Where I rip certain episodes into smithereens. Then perhaps, it is a cultural difference between Gemini000 and I, cause I come from a country, where we call a spade a spade, in a NON racist way. Of course the Danes, me included do know how to speak properly, and without profanities. And so forth, and we used to to say , when we saw a breast and so forth on the television "oh how lovely let us have a smoke, and a glass of wine". The Danes are laid-back. Gemini000 is from Canada. He does not like to use profanities, and I do not blame him. In fact I understand him, he is "bound" in some ways by the restrictions of certain things like "stereotypical" American double standards. Such as "No cursing and swearing and no inkling of a breast or two". And so forth. Unless he is putting a warning up. Which is sad. Also switchblade, you should try reading the "Scandinavia and the world" comic. In some ways it makes perfect sense about the Danes (to some extend). Unless you are a Dane yourself, then thoughts are toll-free.

There you go again, overreacting to something minor and inconsequential. First of all, what the hell does Kickstarter and Patreon have to do with anything? Secondly, I never said that YOU "ripped apart" Skunny Kart. I was making a reference to Kris's review of that game, and how peeved he sounded there.

Also, I love your pretentious attitude about how Danish people can speak properly without using profanities. Last I checked, any human being from any culture can do the exact same thing, regardless of where you live in the world. It's not really something to boast about. I'm an American living in Texas and I don't believe in the double standards that you pointed out. But thanks for stereotyping all Americans and Canadians together. 😉

More importantly, did Kris even violate the rule of the "Seven Dirty Words You Can't Say on Television" in his edutainment review? I don't think so.

Reply 2278 of 3347, by RadioPoultry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I didn't have access to consoles growing up, so games like Captain Comic and Commander Keen were amazing to me. Nowadays, having played many console games... I still find them pretty entertaining. I just played Math Rescue, though... and I see where Kris is coming from on this one, now. Can't hold a candle to Number Munchers, that's for sure.

I actually preferred Skunny Kart to Wacky Wheels, as a kid. I think I found the rubber-banding AI in WW very frustrating, and I couldn't get used to the handbrake at the time. It's been ages since I played those, though.

Reply 2279 of 3347, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

switchblade: Hey, I doubt Gemini000 would ever violate the seven dirty words. You can not say on television. And of course I know, that every human being on this planet. Can speak properly. Without profanities. I did put in brackets/quotation marks. When I said stereotypical. Since not every man or woman have those double standards. So next time you are in town, a beer is coming your way. And if you are not into alcoholic beverages. Then a normal beverage is also okay. Peace ? 😀