PCEm. Another PC emulator.

Schedules and announcements about program releases.

Re: PCEm. Another PC emulator.

Postby lightmaster » 2017-3-05 @ 17:46

No love for that? :(
lightmaster
Oldbie

Postby kekko » 2017-3-19 @ 08:33

Hi,
any plan of using host gpu acceleration for voodoo and/or virge cards?
thanks
p.s. very nice work btw
kekko

Postby leileilol » 2017-3-20 @ 01:10

See this answer.

My 2 cents:
I don't see any benefit in it anyway since the CPU emulation will bottleneck the point of that. It's also not as easy to adapt register-level 3dfx emulation to hardware acceleration (and if any API that should do it that way, it's better off with Vulkan)

The 3dfx recompiler is already really freaking fast at the point where I don't have any desire for hardware accelerated 3dfx emulation either. It's better off that way for the sake of emulated timing anyhow. I actually do enjoy seeing the emulated framerate drop while the Voodoo chokes on blending functions, something no other 3dfx emulator/wrapper has done up to this point. timing is everything
leileilol
l33t++

Postby vvbee » 2017-5-01 @ 08:18

Last year, I tried to run pcem v11 for windows in virtualbox (linux host, windows guest), and it crashed on launch. This was easily fixed in the pcem source by removing an initialization flag off a pixel buffer. The details escape me now, and in any case I don't know the implications of this fix for the program's operation in general. The linux version of pcem v11 wasn't optimal for usability, mainly for having no pre-built executable, so I think having pcem not crash in virtualbox on a windows guest would be a benefit for linux users. Are there plans to address this?

Maybe pcem v12 has addressed it - I don't/can't use virtualbox anymore and so can't test. But I notice that both v11 and v12 of windows pcem crash when attempting to run in wine on ubuntu 16.04, yet my buffer-fixed v11 executable does run in wine, suggesting that maybe these issues linger in v12.
vvbee

Postby DosFreak » 2017-5-01 @ 09:10

Sounds like a feature
Game Acronym List
DosBox CVS Builds
DosBox Feature Request Thread
DosBox FAQ
PC Game Compatibility List
"People like coldplay and voted for the nazis, you can't trust people."
DosFreak
l33t++

Postby vvbee » 2017-5-01 @ 15:44

I don't have the modified source handy, but I'm guessing it was the DDSCAPS_VIDEOMEMORY flag in ddraw_init() (win-ddraw.cc/win-ddraw-fs.cc) that had to go.
vvbee

Postby leileilol » 2017-5-01 @ 23:19

vvbee wrote: The linux version of pcem v11 wasn't optimal for usability, mainly for having no pre-built executable.

That's more of a responsibility of a distro's downstream package manager in a repository. There's lots of source-only releases and binary compatibility is never guaranteed.
leileilol
l33t++

Postby vvbee » 2017-5-02 @ 00:33

Hence my case for mending the windows version.
vvbee

Postby vvbee » 2017-5-02 @ 16:04

My observations of running pcem for win v11 in wine 1.6.2 on ubuntu 16.04.

See reference video there. If legally possible, obtain a local copy of the video for continued access.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4KvWN6Ov1s

Immediate issues:
- release version crashes, modified version runs
- flickering in the right-hand corner with directdraw coupled to activity, doesn't happen with d3d; had the same issue in virtualbox
- switching on the fly from directdraw to d3d and/or d3d to directdraw is unstable; can't remember it being so in virtualbox
- window upscaling in directdraw produces a blurred image, can't remember this happening in virtualbox; d3d mode doesn't blur here because I'd changed it in the source
- the alt key doesn't work - depending on the keyb layout, can't type 'special' characters like \ or :
- pressing the middle scrollwheel button on the mouse unreleases pcem's mouse lock
vvbee

Postby SarahWalker » 2017-5-03 @ 07:46

Some of those aren't issues :
vvbee wrote:- flickering in the right-hand corner with directdraw coupled to activity, doesn't happen with d3d; had the same issue in virtualbox

That's a disc activity indicator. Deliberate feature.
- window upscaling in directdraw produces a blurred image, can't remember this happening in virtualbox; d3d mode doesn't blur here because I'd changed it in the source

Wine's DirectDraw implementation is probably just performing filtering - this isn't a bug.
- pressing the middle scrollwheel button on the mouse unreleases pcem's mouse lock

Deliberate feature.
SarahWalker

Postby vvbee » 2017-5-03 @ 16:17

Thanks for the clarification. I should also specify for clarity that the modified v11 here isn't based on the release but on an interim version off the repository from around october last year. I'm fairly sure however that I removed the videomemory flag off the release version source as well, and that it worked. Those that have extra time can test it of course, but that's my assumption.

Maybe the activity indicator is more of a debug thing, or failing to render properly here. And indeed maybe it's failing to render at all in d3d.

If the middle mouse button releases the mouse lock (which is how I meant to put it earlier), how do you middle-click? I have a dos program in which the middle click works not well for this reason.
vvbee

Postby SarahWalker » 2017-5-03 @ 16:54

v11 only emulates 2 button mice...

v12 does emulate the Intellimouse, and disables the middle click to release when using this mouse.
SarahWalker

Postby vvbee » 2017-5-03 @ 23:15

I tested the v12 release in wine, and found that while the shipped exe crashes immediately, a simple recompile with mingw 5.3.0 without changes produces an exe that runs fine. This of course implies the same for v11, though doesn't necessarily mean it's the toolchain.

With basic testing in dos, the only immediate issue with the recompiled v12 in wine is that the (right) alt key still seems to not work. Hooking to win-keyboard.cc, it seems that pcem is receiving the alt press, but doesn't correctly emit characters that for my layout require alt; e.g. $ (alt+4) just puts out a 4. In dos, neither the keyb su (native) nor keyb us layout emits anything for the scandinavian öäå keys; however, setting the linux session's locale to us via 'export LANG=us_US.UTF-8' does allow typing out those characters in both su and us dos layouts in pcem.
vvbee

Postby vvbee » 2017-5-04 @ 05:47

Some further observations along those above.

- d3d doesn't always repaint after portions of the pcem window have gotten clipped by other windows, need to either give mouse lock or toggle to ddraw and back to get the screen to clear
- mouse lock doesn't prevent certain ubuntu (mate) hotkey combinations going through, e.g. ctrl+alt+arrow to switch workspaces, but this isn't too surprising
- voodoo 1 doesn't get detected at all in win 95, while voodoo 2 shows up as 'voodoo graphics' or the like, which sounded to me like voodoo 1, but I don't know
- with 3dfx reference drivers at least, the tomb raider 1 3dfx demo crashes pcem if launched with voodoo enabled (tried different compile settings for o, march, and msse, turning off the pcem recompiler, and reducing voodoo render threads, but no go)
vvbee

Postby Malik » 2017-5-14 @ 16:08

Just started using PCEm, and using v12 in Windows 10. I'm impressed with the Windows 95B running on it.

I seem to notice the audio (wave) lag both when hearing the windows default 'ding' alert sound, and in the game I'm currently trying - Entomorph : Plague of the Darkfall. CD Audio works fine, but the sound effects have slight but noticeable delay.

Using VX430/Pentium 200MMX (and also tried Pentium 90) settings + S3 Virge DX Card with AWE32, all drivers loaded.. Host is running on i7 4790K @ 4GHz.

I wonder if this lag is fixable, since I remember reading at PCem forum some time back about a similar audio lag topic, but there was no conclusive fix yet.

And FX Fighter Turbo crashes after choosing the character..
Malik
l33t

Previous

Return to Release Announcements