VOGONS

Reply 21 of 30, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm just telling you what he said. I also tried it out and it let me into steam into my account without even logging in......which is really interesting considering I *don't* let it save my password. Seems they really did add a new mode.

However - they still need to remove that authentication but I feel that will never be done to all of steam....but on a game by game basis. Theres no reason why they need to authenticate a 5-10 year old game, but we'll see.

Reply 22 of 30, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Though we very much wanted to include online authentication for the retail release of Prey, we made the very recent decision to remove it due to technical difficulties in implementing it in time for our public release. Therefore we will not be including any online authentication with the retail release of Prey. This does not in any way affect and has nothing to do with our commitment to release Prey through online digital distribution via the Triton streaming system. Both the online demo and the final release of Prey will be available via Triton.

Reply 27 of 30, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sweet. Now to wait for reviews of the game. I read a review of the demo earlier today and he sounded pretty happy and since it's based on the D3 engine the requirements were pretty much the same so I should be set.

As for DNF.....why would a game that will never be released require copy protection/authentication? 😉

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 28 of 30, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cerberus_e wrote:

You can do either way 😁 😉 You told it to Tim in person.

No, he said that they had difficulties towards using it and it wasn't a decision....I said "Either way" I liked the fact that it wasn't using it. Personally I'd rather he chose not to use it, rather then be forced not to use it by other means.....because now it sounds like they will use it in the future on other games.

Reply 29 of 30, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bought PREY yesterday.

1. Couldn't play initially because it didn't like Daemon Tools being installed. A quick visit to gamecopy world fixed that.
2. Game kept on crashing after 5 minutes.....I had just finished played all the way through NWN2 for the last couple of weeks without any changes to my systerm, but strangely dropping my multipler from 13.5 to 13.0 fixed the crashing problem with Prey.....

3. Tried playing the game in Vista with the 7.2 catalyst drivers for my X800. Ran like shit. Thanks ATI. Booted back into 2003 and I'm getting my 45-50fps with barely any dips.
While I was booted into Vista I loaded up Quake 3 and checked out what OGL extensions it sees. It saw 4! Yeah, that's right 4!. Amazing. I wonder what is shown for those with the latest and greatest ATI cards?

Prey seems pretty decent for an FPS. Playing around with Portals and running around walls is fun. Unfortunately from what I've heard the game is pretty short so that sucks but I just got finished with NWN2 and I wanted something different to play and FPS can get pretty boring after awhile so I don't mind if it's short.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 30 of 30, by SysGOD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

its a great game, but the advanced doom3 engine did'nt like overclocked systems. i had alot of graphical distortions with my OC'ed 6800 ultra.
i recomment you check out the prey tweak guide. it has a lot of CVARS, but some are only for nvidia cards...

well happy hunting, the later levels are awesome. 😀

sysprofile.png