VOGONS

FitzQuake for DOS [fxMesa]

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 86, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The code isn't posted anywhere, but he'd probably give it to you if you asked him.

Reply 81 of 86, by __ggorts

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh. I did note that there are recipes just 20 lines long to activate mtrr, or at least that I recall. There are longer samples which robustly check whether the registers are available and then turn on one of the sets. I looked at it out of curiosity between maps of rubicon pack. I may try pack #2 today -- thanks!

Reply 82 of 86, by RaVeN-05

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am sorry to bump that old thread, but:

i have serious FPS drops on fitzquake , qdos, q2dos, uhexen2 dos.

comparing to original glquake its degradation in performance =(, should be the same in term of FPS.

tried cwsdpmi and "mrttfble wc" - doesnot speedup.

and by experiementing i find out that it doesnot matter how much polygons on screen while they close to "eye" of player it doesnot drop fps.

used "scr_showfps 1" in console to see how much fps i got.

what causes FPS drops i guess:
while scene have far objects, far walls or far polygons, i mean thay FAR from eye of player, fps is drops.

FPS drops can go from Z Buffering being not optimized?
or while video system is busy on doing minification of textures its drops FPS greatly.

if in console you wrote "gl_farclip 99" where 99 is number of some "units" after that distance render will skip rendering geometry, so if that number is smaller the higher FPS i gain.

My guess: FPS drops comes from bad z buffer handling, bad minification algorithm, something else?

https://www.youtube.com/user/whitemagicraven
https://go.twitch.tv/whitemagicraventv

Reply 83 of 86, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's literally the same code. Are you using a VIA chipset? If yes, those boards have bad performance on DOS and require a Windows driver to fix the issue.

Reply 85 of 86, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, you can't fix it. I don't know what they do in their driver to fix the issue in Windows. I'm not that good of a hardware hacker. Your best bet is finding an Asus P3B-F motherboard or any later era Intel 440BX Chipset that allows CPUs past 500/550mhz.

Glad to see other people are using the glide3x.dxe's sezero and I worked on over the past few years.

Reply 86 of 86, by zyzzle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RaVeN-05 wrote on 2021-05-12, 17:00:

ah 🤣 =) that was VIA chipset, i have it, so i can't fix it?)

p.s. offtopic --- i found Mario 64 for DOS its also use glide3x.dxe (3dfx)

Mario 64 looks for DOS looks neat indeed, but I can't compile the DOS .exe. May you or someone else who has compiled the binary please post a link to download that DOS binary of Mario 64? Appreciated beyond words!