Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Topic actions

Reply 1500 of 3355, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:

The Revenants have twin shoulder mounted rocket launchers. I don't get why you called the rockets eyeballs.

*takes a look at some of them in slow motion from both front and side views*

...OK, so they're not eyeballs, but they're still ball-shaped and they really do seem like they have eyes on them, not to mention it would've explained why they can home in on you. :P

*adds this as a correction on the video page*

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 1501 of 3355, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

HunterZ: that is possibly the most awesome mod I have seen. I would love to see it being used with either vavoom or Doomsday engine. Damn it is impressive. Or some other cool engine.

Reply 1503 of 3355, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice job covering a legendary game. :) So much time spent around '95-'96 in modem play with friends and on making evil deathmatch maps for it. DCK32, NewWadTools, Autodesk Animator for textures... been years since I've touched these ancient and hopelessly outdated tools, but I could probably still work them in my sleep.

MUSICAL BONUS! Attached is an old remix I made of the MAP01 (Entryway) tune. Done in a sorta Unreal style, since I was remaking the map for UT2K3 if I remember correctly.

Attachments

• Filename
    d_runnin.ogg
    File size
    3.37 MiB
    Downloads
    56 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 1504 of 3355, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HunterZ wrote:

BTW, I highly recommend checking out "Brutal Doom", which is a mod that runs with most official Doom games under any of the ZDoom family of source ports. It adds a lot of gore but also adds ironsights and some other neat features that make the gameplay feel a bit more modern and help to balance out the weapons (pistol is replaced with a semi-automatic assault rifle, for example, which is useful for sniping due to ironsights).

This mod uses GL features extensively, so while it will still run on a software engine like ZDoom you would be missing pretty much all of the effects. It also caused some stir in the community because at one point the author actually planned to include images of real corpses and gore.

Aside from all of that this one would be pretty far behind on the list of mods I would recommend...

Reply 1505 of 3355, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wouldn't recommend Brutal Doom at all...especially since it's overrated, and was some sort of gateway for another eternal september wave in the doom community as if it were "teh only way to play doom!!!! so metal!!1!! doom it old school game with aiming down the sight's" treating Doom 2 like a poor kid's CoD. 🙁. It doesn't help the sound is all distorted and gives me a headache after a while

plus the creator has...... some concerningly questionable problems with regard to society.

If you're going to try any 'modern fps game' mod i'd recommend Hideous Destructor instead. If you're looking for a "HD GRAPHICS!" mod, give up - most peoples' idea of 'great graphics' are a sweetFX bloom injector and a bunch of overdrawing flare particles that eat up the actor processing. If any media update mod at all, try per's doom sfx.

Samsara and Reelism are worth a look too. The former is pretty much classic FPS crossover, the latter is smashtv with some mild crossover.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 1506 of 3355, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've played Brutal Doom, and while it does add a couple of interesting features, it kind of pisses me off how they changed all of the monster sounds. The original sounds were awesome the way they were, but they decided to try and make the zombiemen sound more "evil" in the most ridiculously laughable way possible. 😜 Also, the SMG is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overpowered for a starting weapon, and the whole idea of aiming down the sights like CoD just takes away from the "doominess", so to speak. It's not a bad mod per se, but it's not the be all end all, and I certainly wouldn't consider it essential; it's just a somewhat entertaining thing to screw around with for 10 minutes, nothing more.

And wait a second, did someone say that the creator actually wanted to include images of actual corpses and gore? That is FUCKED UP on so many levels. 😜 I like gibbing people in FPS games as much as the next guy, but please, don't bring any actual real life violence into it. That's just horrible and disgusting.

Reply 1507 of 3355, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

It's not a bad mod per se, but it's not the be all end all, and I certainly wouldn't consider it essential; it's just a somewhat entertaining thing to screw around with for 10 minutes, nothing more.

I think this is a fair assessment.

BTW, the pistol is replaced with a semi-automatic assault rifle, not an SMG. This means it only fires once per trigger pull, but is pretty accurate at long range. Personally I think it's a nice change that keeps the weapon slot useful even after acquiring a chaingun (which uses the same ammo).

Reply 1509 of 3355, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I've played Brutal Doom, and while it does add a couple of interesting features, it kind of pisses me off how they changed all of the monster sounds. The original sounds were awesome the way they were, but they decided to try and make the zombiemen sound more "evil" in the most ridiculously laughable way possible. 😜 Also, the SMG is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overpowered for a starting weapon, and the whole idea of aiming down the sights like CoD just takes away from the "doominess", so to speak. It's not a bad mod per se, but it's not the be all end all, and I certainly wouldn't consider it essential; it's just a somewhat entertaining thing to screw around with for 10 minutes, nothing more.

And wait a second, did someone say that the creator actually wanted to include images of actual corpses and gore? That is FUCKED UP on so many levels. 😜 I like gibbing people in FPS games as much as the next guy, but please, don't bring any actual real life violence into it. That's just horrible and disgusting.

Apparently early in development there was a real gore addon that was made that contains some slightly more realistic images of gore that spurt out from enemies when they explode. The one that is out isn't extremely fucked up, though a bit more intense since there are realistic images intestines and brains that the enemies will dispense. Still though, it is pretty nasty to want to include more realistic corpses in the mix though if that was the creator's intention.

Oh and to give my view on Brutal Doom since it seems to be the subject here, I actually genuinely enjoy the mod myself. Yeah sure, it doesn't beat classic Doom and in many ways makes it a bit too modern, but I honesty like the changes made to the game after playing and exhausting the classic Doom games for so many years.

Reply 1510 of 3355, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Funny story, I actually remember one of my friends telling me a few years back that he literally had nightmares about the arch-vile when he was a kid. As a result, his mother made him uninstall Doom II. 🤣 I can totally see though why that enemy could be considered the epitome of nightmare fuel to some people.

My younger sister had nightmares from watching me play Doom/Heretic, which got me in a bit of trouble with my parents. Didn't stop her from playing (and getting totally hooked on) those games while she was having the nightmares. Come to think of it, I've had quite a few kick-ass dreams in my youth where my brain runs the Doom engine! 😎

My personal nightmare fuel from Doom is the OUCH face 😳.

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 1511 of 3355, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gemini000 wrote:

Ancient DOS Games Episode 122 - Doom II: Hell on Earth is online!

I wish they'd done something more with the water, which appears to be little more than a blue version of the toxic waste texture.

It could have slowed you down, like, because you have to wade through it, or alerted enemies to your position because it's not quiet to walk through, or something like that.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 1512 of 3355, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Indeed, the toxic slime in Doom made always felt to me like it shouldn't hurt the player because it's too shallow, as in the marine's boots should be more than adequate against it (can't be sinking more than sole-deep). Radiation poisoning from the slime shouldn't have such an immediate effect. 😜

They added the splashing sound effect and current forces in Heretic, but it still feels like you're walking on a very, very shallow puddle (so I feel like wind is pushing me around instead of the water).

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 1513 of 3355, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was making maps for Doom II before Doom, and when I decided to give Doom map making a try, I was looking through the available floor/ceiling textures and was like, "...where's the water?"

...that... bothered the heck out of me so much that I never made any Doom maps. All the maps I ever made were for Doom II. XD

Also, I've had numerous dreams related to Doom, either exploring a level made using its textures and style, or just running through gameplay as though I were actually in the game. Always a fun time since the levels always seem to be well designed. On rare occasions, it's deathmatch play with other people. ;)

Actually, the funny thing is, I spent more time in the Build Editor than DCK32, but I'm more nostalgic about Doom's level design than I am about Duke 3D's, and I think it's because Doom's levels are a lot less grounded in reality and more fantastical, whereas Duke 3D's levels are more practical and fit with a running theme. It's easier for me to dream about things that can't actually happen or exist than things which can.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1515 of 3355, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I played with editors back in the day, enough to figure out how it all worked. I wish I still had my maps, although I didn't really make anything epic other than a corridor with lights that would "follow" you as you walked through it (via lots of zones, and triggers to turn the lights on and off).

I think I also reverse-engineered the WAD format at one point and wrote an extractor for some reason. I think maybe I was trying to get the OPL instrument preset data that they used for the Adlib/Soundblaster music so that I could load it into something else.

Reply 1516 of 3355, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've actually made some fairly epic maps for various games over the years... it's just a shame I never really finished any of them. :P

...well... there were a few Duke 3D maps I finished, but I'd really have to go searching to figure out where they went, and with most of my computers stored away from the move, that may not be so easy. :/

Or waitaminute, I did get all my Stunts tracks onto my website early on: http://www.pixelships.com/misc/stunts.html

As an aside, this week's game for ADG is giving me headaches when I play it for any length of time... Before I started playing it, based on what I knew about it, I thought it would be at least an average game, but it's actually turning out to be rather poor quality. D:

Good thing it's so incredibly repetitive I only need like, 2 or 3 hours of game footage and I'm set. ;D

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1517 of 3355, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HunterZ wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

It's not a bad mod per se, but it's not the be all end all, and I certainly wouldn't consider it essential; it's just a somewhat entertaining thing to screw around with for 10 minutes, nothing more.

I think this is a fair assessment.

BTW, the pistol is replaced with a semi-automatic assault rifle, not an SMG. This means it only fires once per trigger pull, but is pretty accurate at long range. Personally I think it's a nice change that keeps the weapon slot useful even after acquiring a chaingun (which uses the same ammo).

I could swear that it at least had a burst-fire mode, but maybe we just played slightly different versions of the mod. 🤣 It does feel a bit strong though for what should be a weaksauce starting weapon. Part of what makes Doom and other oldschool FPS games thrilling is starting off with a really crappy weapon and trying to stay alive long enough to find something better. Making the starting weapon "good" just takes away from the tension. 🤣

133MHz wrote:

Indeed, the toxic slime in Doom made always felt to me like it shouldn't hurt the player because it's too shallow, as in the marine's boots should be more than adequate against it (can't be sinking more than sole-deep). Radiation poisoning from the slime shouldn't have such an immediate effect. 😜

They added the splashing sound effect and current forces in Heretic, but it still feels like you're walking on a very, very shallow puddle (so I feel like wind is pushing me around instead of the water).

I actually remember this one dream I had where I was playing a version of Doom with room-over-room, and being totally amazed with it. I had some other Doom dreams but I can't remember what they were like.

Anyhow, since some of you are mentioning map editing, I wonder if anyone here would be interested in trying my crappy deathmatch map for Skulltag. It might work in Zandronum, but you'll probably need the Skulltag PK3 since I used some of its textures and additional weapons. Here's the link if you want to check it out: http://mr-bigmouth-502.deviantart.com/art/Ret … g-Map-217426953 Like I said though, it's crap. 😜

Reply 1518 of 3355, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I actually remember this one dream I had where I was playing a version of Doom with room-over-room, and being totally amazed with it. I had some other Doom dreams but I can't remember what they were like.

I'm pretty sure Star Wars: Dark Forces had a limited ability to do room-over-room, along with a lot of other neat innovations like true texture-mapped 3D models, pixel-based 3D holograms, looking up and down (a la Heretic/Hexen), jumping, multi-state switches, inventory, flashlights, etc.

Reply 1519 of 3355, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I actually remember this one dream I had where I was playing a version of Doom with room-over-room, and being totally amazed with it.

Doom Legacy?

apsosig.png
long live PCem