VOGONS

Quake2 + Acebot for DOSBox (128mb)

Topic actions

Reply 221 of 862, by ggorts

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think there is a hint to the issue in dday. I ran dosbox at very slow speed with "developer 25" (as you showed me earlier). The issue occurs before a msg about "video/ntro.cin" missing. I added an empty file by that name and it exits about a read error instead of a pagefault.

Reply 223 of 862, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also a quick and dirty hack would be checking the init routine for the mod in g_save.c (I think this is where it is) and if deathmatch is set to 0 then error out.

Reply 225 of 862, by ggorts

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I agree on the emulation. I mainly reported it for information only. I'll follow both your suggestions on the other thing. I also appreciate the updates to q2dos! I tried them today, including the mouse changes and such.

Reply 228 of 862, by ggorts

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It must have the video file named "ntro.cin". I wonder if my LFN support is not so good, as you noted!

Edit: I changed ddayintro.con to ntro.cin and it showed video and no error.

Edit2: I'll try the g_save.c method next since it showed the error after video.

Reply 230 of 862, by ggorts

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's very good of you. I am putting "abort()" commands in the init as you suggested, but probably avoiding the single player is the simplest, given your know-how. I would have to figure out the structure of loading more than I know at present. :)

Edit: verified that the error occurs before "void InitGame (void)" in g_save.c, since the "abort" embedded in that function was never reached.

Edit2: I see now, as you said, something like this requires the static compile. I think it would then give a line#.

Edit3: I can see in the win32 client it allows the single player dday, but it has a bunch of load file errors in q2 console and then just loads up vanilla q2. The stricter dos model probably didn't like those errors as much, but there is definitely no single player dday mode.

Last edited by ggorts on 2015-07-07, 04:34. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 231 of 862, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I already have a static compile. There are types of entities that won't spawn because of deathmatch being set and it crashes the game. It's hard to find a fix from within the game engine because it goes to the binary for spawning the server.

Reply 232 of 862, by ggorts

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Brilliant. At least the cause is known. It's nothing more than the mod is not meant for single player mode, or at least nothing apparent from another part of the code. Thank you, too, for debugging it!

Edit: A new mTCP is available! (mTCP 2015-07-05) (new mTCP package)

Reply 235 of 862, by ggorts

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I show a pagefault where the attached patch is applied (djgpp 204/gcc45), but there is no error otherwise. I wonder whether the array is read-only where placed outside the VID_MenuInit function, combined with compiler specific behavior (since only my version presumably has the issue).

Attachments

• Filename
    vid_dos.diff
    File size
    810 Bytes
    Downloads
    54 downloads
    File comment
    vid_dos.c patch for debugging
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 237 of 862, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I forgot to mention you're totally free to include that aspect stuff in this post to the tree (merged with that KM 1280x1024 bit), i'm not signing up to another repository site to do it. 😀

(or at least I can't figure out how to do it from Github)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 238 of 862, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

I forgot to mention you're totally free to include that aspect stuff in this post to the tree (merged with that KM 1280x1024 bit), i'm not signing up to another repository site to do it. 😀

(or at least I can't figure out how to do it from Github)

Does this code work for all resolutions? If so, then I will gladly add it. 😀

Reply 239 of 862, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

To be honest I haven't seen what it does to 1280x1024 (I lack a 5:4 monitor to tell anymore)... but should be fine for the rest of the 4:3's (I only posted the code just after I saw it looking okay for 320x240/640x480/800x600). If something's horribly broken in it somehow, sezero would fix it. 😀

Is there any widescreen res plans in the works? Horz+ expansion in software is much trickier, but should be relatively easier than Q1 since there's no obscuring status/inventorybars to deal with affecting the refdef.

Last edited by leileilol on 2015-07-07, 19:46. Edited 2 times in total.

apsosig.png
long live PCem