Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Topic actions

Reply 2240 of 3354, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I always thought of it as BoringCop

one 1994 shovelware cd I first encountered with it on couldn't even run it for some lazy didnttestlol reason. blessing in disguise?

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2241 of 3354, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My first time playing the shareware version when I was a kid I couldn't even get past the first level. I think I tried twice. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 2242 of 3354, by switchblade

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I definitely remember playing this game a long time ago. Never got past the first level, either. ElectroBody doesn't have much in the way of lasting appeal.

The graphics, sound, controls, and game play resemble an average platform game that you would find on the Atari ST or Amiga. Considering that the game was made by a bunch of Polish dudes, I wouldn't be surprised by that aspect.

Reply 2244 of 3354, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 157 - Xerix & Xerix II is online!

Yes, these are bad games, but they have a sort of special meaning to people such as myself who were trying to learn how to make games in the early 90s given the severe lack of details out there for budding designers. It's not like nowadays where you can scan the net and have instant access to countless tutorials and even fully functional game engines used in commercial products; Back then, everything had to be done from scratch and with minimal assistance. There were a handful of books on the subject, but they only got you so far, not to mention finding copies of these books was problematic at best. :/

Also...

Rod Primitive wrote:

I got an idea/suggestion for an ADG review or filler if you'd like.

I'll add it to the requests list. ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 2246 of 3354, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Heh, the Xerix guy wasn't alone in (mis)using the term 'public domain' that way -- in the BBS days it was often used interchangeably with 'shareware', 'freeware', 'user-supported' etc. to mean just about any of those things as we now know them.

And come on, that music is terrible. 😀

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 2248 of 3354, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 158 - Heretic is online! (Please note that this is a mature-rated episode.)

Really tired as I spent most of my editing day today nursing an excruciatingly painful shoulder flare-up. I'm SO looking forwards to bed right now... :B

BTW: Have a couple really neat games lined up for Edutainment Month. ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 2249 of 3354, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Awesome, a review of Heretic! This is one of the few games I only play every now and then, but really enjoy doing so from beginning to end 😁 . The ability to fly, look up/down, and have an actual inventory with so many items to choose from really makes the difference for me.

One of my favorite magical items is the Morph Ovum, of course - turning evil beings into chickens is so much fun 🤣 . There is one item that surpasses it, though: The Tome of Power. This enhances all weapons considerably and makes them easily able to eliminate just about any enemy in the game (I get a kind of perverted pleasure using the Gauntlets of the Necromancer enhanced with the Tome against gargoyles, golems and undead warriors; that's the price they pay for being so pesky and bothersome 😈 ).

Here's a couple of Youtube videos showing the kind of fun you can have with Heretic 😊 :

Heretic Chicken Massacre
Heretic with Doom weapons

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 2251 of 3354, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I quite like Heretic, although some levels the resolution and textures make things look a bit unclear. The newer ports sure help with this. Heretic 2 wasn't that bad either, nice bit of 3rd person action.

Reply 2252 of 3354, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I always found it funny how Heretic seemed to run better on my 486 than Doom or Doom II. 🤣 Is the Steam version still missing its setup program?

Reply 2253 of 3354, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Is the Steam version still missing its setup program?

Dunno, but I would assume "yes".

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 2256 of 3354, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:

I thought the gauntlets regularly steal health and the tome just increases their range.

Nope. The amount of health stealing with the gauntlets is actually pretty extreme when the Tome of Power is active, so if they stole health all the time they'd be very overpowered.

The Tome does indeed increase the range of the gauntlets too. ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 2257 of 3354, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Gemini000: I remember when I first played Heretic. Damn, now I am feeling old 😀 lovely game, and if I should choose between using DosBox and a source port on Windows and so forth. I would choose a source port. And two I can mention (and recommend) , when it comes to source ports, that seriously kicks arse are : Doomsday Engine http://dengine.net/, and Vavoom http://vavoom-engine.com/

Reply 2258 of 3354, by IO.SYS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
JayCeeBee64 wrote:

Well, in my opinion, Heretic weapons are way more cool then Doom ones, not mention the Tome of Power upgrades. And Hexen ones are even better.
The best two weapons of the official Doom engine games are probably, the Wraithverge of the Cleric from Hexen (the 4th weapon), and the Sigil from Strife.