VOGONS

Reply 361 of 781, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Building the 3 in 1 DOS Retro Gaming PC: 386 486 and Pentium

In videos about hardware it's good to give full description (manufacturer, model, specs) by text for every component you are using, including monitor, maybe keyboard, mouse, etc. Text inside video, youtube's annotations, in text description under videos - somewhere. It's not hard but makes the info more clear and complete.

bring new life to FM sounds

CQM FM sounds. Your Yamaha ISA could be better there. Not many games with SB16 support and probably not many have ADPCM issues on YMF, while FM is common. Also MB with Intel chipset would be better if there were such with same slowdown possibilities.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 362 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I HATE writing. I'm making videos for a reason 😀

I used the AWE because of the Chorus, Reverb and 3D Stereo Enhancement features.

As for "better", it's all relative, and I mix it up in my videos. I use Vortex 2 here, Yamaha there, then Creative. That way people see different options and ways of doing things.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 363 of 781, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

I HATE writing. I'm making videos for a reason 😀

This needs not much of text. 😀 It's interesting to know what components exactly were used and text is best for this.

I used the AWE because of the Chorus, Reverb and 3D Stereo Enhancement features.

This sounds not "true" 😀 OPL3 etalon is SB Pro CT1600, without bells and whistles. CQM has issues (not just worse) in some games' music (Dune, Dyna Blaster, ...), so for DOS machine is doubtful to be recommended. YMF has no 100% compatibility so is doubtful also, but it's closer to "true".
The theme "Ideal sound card for DOS games" is still open. I think some systematic comparision testing for card's sound quality and compatibility is needed.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 364 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Another week, another video.

Careful, this one isn't what it seems 🤣

3dfx Voodoo 5 5500 Retro Gaming on a budget

You built a high performance Windows 98 machine based around a Pentium 4, Athlon XP or Athlon 64. Direct3D and OpenGL games ran flawless, the machine delivers impressive frame rates. A Aureal Vortex 2 card gives you A3D surround sound over headphones.

But something is missing...

Reply 365 of 781, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PhilsComputerLab wrote:
Another week, another video. […]
Show full quote

Another week, another video.

Careful, this one isn't what it seems 🤣

3dfx Voodoo 5 5500 Retro Gaming on a budget

You built a high performance Windows 98 machine based around a Pentium 4, Athlon XP or Athlon 64. Direct3D and OpenGL games ran flawless, the machine delivers impressive frame rates. A Aureal Vortex 2 card gives you A3D surround sound over headphones.

But something is missing...

Nice video, I never really thought of using nGlide on a Pentium 4/Athlon 64 Win 98SE or XP build as a Voodoo substitute. Is the Geforce FX the earlies graphics card supported by nGlide, or did you choose it because it fit the system well?

This may be a silly question, but is there any latency associated with using a Glide wrapper?

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 366 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Great Hierophant wrote:

Nice video, I never really thought of using nGlide on a Pentium 4/Athlon 64 Win 98SE or XP build as a Voodoo substitute. Is the Geforce FX the earlies graphics card supported by nGlide, or did you choose it because it fit the system well?

This may be a silly question, but is there any latency associated with using a Glide wrapper?

I chose the FX because it's a DX9 card and that is one of the requirements. But then so was Windows XP, so who knows, it might run on DX8 as well, but I haven't tried it. An equivalent Radeon should work just as well.

I would imagine that a wrapper would introduce some latency, but nothing I have noticed or stood out and I haven't read / heard much in that regard either.

Reply 367 of 781, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So much of Unreal. To show sense in using Glide wrapper there compared to its native D3D this needed to show comparision screenshots. In your 32 bit color, 1600x1200, and may be with AAx4 which FX should allow there without fps drop to the floor.
And if we are talking about best in Unreal, some think 3D sound on YMF7x4 cards there is better than on Vortex 2. The other interesting option to show in this game should be S3 Savage 2000 with its S3TC and large textures.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 368 of 781, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Regarding the 3-in-1 machine. What do you think about a socket 5 machine? I've seen several on ebay the last few days. They can only get up to a 133mhz p54c so that's right in the range.

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B

Reply 369 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
senrew wrote:

Regarding the 3-in-1 machine. What do you think about a socket 5 machine? I've seen several on ebay the last few days. They can only get up to a 133mhz p54c so that's right in the range.

Should work just as well. The speed you're getting when disabling caches varies widely, but the end result should be very similar.

Reply 370 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Matrox G400 MAX Retro Review

Retro 3D graphics awesomeness from Canada! I feel that the Matrox G400 MAX is Matrox's best 3D graphics cards, so join me in this video and let's take a look at what this card can do!

Reply 372 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hahaha, I don't think the Germans understood what "head" can mean in that context 😊

Reply 373 of 781, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nah, I think they absolutely knew the context and meaning, they just tried to tap into this sort of "naughty" marketing 😉.

Great video by the way, would love to see more EMBM used in games. There's also a Matrox Tech Demo using EMBM, perhaps you've seen it. Great music on this one!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_YiZzi9PkU

Reply 374 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I found that with some games I simply couldn't identify the EMBM in action. And hunting down patches, finding the command line options, it's all not that well documented any more 😀

Yea the demo would have been nice to include. Oh well, just like Nvidia did it with their release cycles, it's not scrapped, it just goes into the next product 🤣

Reply 375 of 781, by FaSMaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Matrox G400 MAX Retro Review

Retro 3D graphics awesomeness from Canada! I feel that the Matrox G400 MAX is Matrox's best 3D graphics cards, so join me in this video and let's take a look at what this card can do!

I loved the opening of your review, it was very artsy 😀

The only small criticism is I am forced to view youtube at 360p due to bandwidth problems, and that means the performance graphs text isn't visible, it might be worth wild just to have a little segment after the graphs breaking the performance down, like ex: "On most test this card performs similarly to a [insert GFX card] but slightly faster,it performed poorly in [Game/Benchmark], its its current used price bracket it is faster than [insert GFX card] and cheaper"

Reply 376 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yup, I could do that.

I did link the graphs in the description, that lets you study them in your own time.

Reply 377 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Amiga 500 Mist FPGA Computer Review and Tutorial

The Amiga 500 is an awesome 16 bit home computer. In this video I will be reviewing and demonstrating the Amiga or minimig core for the Mist FPGA computer.

To setup the SD card we need the Amiga core and also version 1.3 of the kickstart ROM. You might also want to update the firmware.

Games are supported in the ADF format and loaded through the menu by pressing F12 or pressing the second button at the front of the unit.

I am using a Buffalo SNES USB gamepad, Logitech K400 wireless keyboard with touch-pad and an Asus 19" LCD monitor.

There is lots of game-play footage at the end of the video! Some captured directly, some recorded off a CRT monitor to show the lovely scanlines.

Here is a list of all the games featured at the end of the video:

Gods (14:51)
Lemmings (15:52)
Lotus (16:39)
Stunt Car Racer (17:39)
Monkey Island (18:39)
Chaos Engine (20:00)
Pinball Dreams (21:01)
R-Type (22:00)
Sensible Soccer (23:12)
Flashback (24:12)
Apidya (25:12)
Cannon Fodder (26:12)
Lotus 2 (27:12)
Magic Pockets (28:12)
SWIV (29:12)
Lotus III (30:12)
Xenon 2 (31:12)
Alien Breed (32:12)
Shogun (33:12)
Rick Dangerous (33:58)
Defender of The Crown (34:38)
Speedball 2 (35:39)
Another World (36:31)
Rainbow Island (37:56)
Elite (38:56)
It came from The Desert (45:59)
Katakis (40:56)
James Pond 2 (41:56)
Zool (42:56)
Shadow of the beast 2 intro (43:56)
Silkworm (44:59)

Enjoy this video!

♦Links to resources relevant to this video♦

Downloads as shown in the video: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Firmware: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-binaries/t … master/firmware

My Mist comes from this shop: http://www.lotharek.pl/

What is the Mist FPGA: https://youtu.be/CVq_jzj_u8U

First time setup guide: https://youtu.be/-j5NgsOtkAM

Commodore 64 core review: https://youtu.be/6EDg5V8KYXg

Reply 378 of 781, by Tiger433

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Will you make some movies about Linux distributions and gaming on that system ? Some games from GoG have installers for Ubuntu, so you can try some games from there and also from Steam.

W7 "retro" PC: ASUS P8H77-V, Intel i3 3240, 8 GB DDR3 1333, HD6850, 2 x 500 GB HDD
Retro 98SE PC: MSI MS-6511, AMD Athlon XP 2000+, 512 MB RAM, ATI Rage 128, 80GB HDD
My Youtube channel

Reply 379 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tiger433 wrote:

Will you make some movies about Linux distributions and gaming on that system ? Some games from GoG have installers for Ubuntu, so you can try some games from there and also from Steam.

Oh dear, my Linux experience can be wrapped up as "I installed Ubuntu" 🤣