VOGONS

Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Topic actions

Reply 880 of 3355, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wasn't too far off with my original guess of Fallout.

As for the subject of bronies, i've had nothing but bad experiences in my run-ins with them. I'll just leave it at that.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 881 of 3355, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

I wasn't too far off with my original guess of Fallout.

You weren't the only one to make that guess, actually. Considering there were a record 28 guesses this time around, most for Duke3D, I could've seriously screwed everyone over and reviewed Fallout instead! XD

leileilol wrote:

As for the subject of bronies, i've had nothing but bad experiences in my run-ins with them. I'll just leave it at that.

That sucks. :/

Well, despite how it may look, I'm really just a casual fan of MLP:FiM, so I dunno if I would qualify or not. Plus the original MLP stuff still scares me... >_>;

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 883 of 3355, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:

I've heard that finding a actual DOS version of fallout is neigh impossible...

Shouldn't be. Check your original disc for the DOS-based installer.

Gemini000 wrote:

Well, despite how it may look, I'm really just a casual fan of MLP:FiM

As long as you don't preach about it (one of the biggest problems of bronies is overly expressive self-promotion, with "deal with it" "its about love and friendship" "i'm so fresh you can suck my nuts! swag" excuses) and sneak in words like everypony in otherwise unrelated media and not do pony image macros whereever, as in keeping it to yourself, everything should be okay. Do you want to stunt the viewer base by subjecting yourself into obsession?

This abrasive behavior isn't exclusive to MLP, but it affects Homestuck too, and just earlier it was Touhou, and to a milder degree some years ago, Teen Titans...and even milder and earlier and perhaps arguably saner, VGCats and Lord of the Rings

A Maddox article or a South Park episode on this subject is desperately needed. Dexter's Laboratory already tackled it eons ago though

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 884 of 3355, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

As long as you don't preach about it

Ah yeah... THAT. >_>;

As a casual fan, I generally don't talk about the show unless someone else wants to or is interested in it and I feel like talking about it. I don't like it when people preach about ANYTHING they like, because it just makes them look obsessive and sometimes it can come across like they don't truly understand the nature of what it is they like, so you won't see anything like that out of me. :P

Which isn't to say I'm not guilty of going on about various things in the past, but that's always a result of being excited over something and if someone wants to change the subject I'm always willing to. :)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 885 of 3355, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@leilei: somehow I doubt that ADG is gonna go full brony.... my personal tolerance for all things plush starts and ends with THIS, but I wouldn't be too worried about a one-off joke.

luckybob wrote:

I've heard that finding a actual DOS version of fallout is neigh impossible...

i_see_what_you_did_there_meme_button-p145930286891192046en8be_210.jpg

Anyway, fun episode. Don't know why I never did a lot of mapping for Duke3D as opposed to Doom (2), even though the Build editor was easier and more advanced than any Doom tools available back then.

also: I could just sit and listen to GRABBAG all day. Is that new Lee Jackson version currently available somewhere? I've heard it before, but can't locate the full thing now.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 887 of 3355, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The versions of Grabbag I used are from the 3D Realms Website and from the credits of Duke Nukem Forever. The one on their website can be found from http://www.3drealms.com/downloads.html if you scroll down to the Duke Nukem 3D section and download grabbag.zip.

BTW: Anyone know why the song is called that? It didn't come up in my research and I'm understandably curious.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 889 of 3355, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Lee Jackson wrote:

... after a session of listening to a lot of Ozzy, Pantera, and Judas Priest.

Haha, sounds about right. Though it's far less blatant than what Bobby Prince did 😉
The "grab bag of ideas" explanation is pretty much what I thought it meant.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 890 of 3355, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 90 - Populous is online early! :D

And now, if you'll excuse me, I'm dead-tired and need sleep. Goodnight. x_x;

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 891 of 3355, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A friend of mine still has got his original copy laying somewhere. I don't like strategy games that much but Popolous was quite innovative in its time.

The title screen is awful btw. Too bad it didn't have a 256c VGA mode.

Reply 892 of 3355, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Gemini000: great little episode, but damn. I had to skip through it, cause I am pretty tired. Since I danced until the early morning hours (with a sweet woman). So anyway I am looking forward to the next episode.

Reply 893 of 3355, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The next ADG Filler is going to be a day late due to technical problems. Apparently, Sony Vegas 9.0 + XviD Compression + My Computer = Random Frame Blackouts. x_x;

Annoyingly, XviD is the best codec I can use for capturing footage from non-DOS games since I lack a capture card, so in order to fix the problem I have to convert all of the game footage I've captured to H.264, which is going to take most of the night, and I'm going to be asleep for all of it. Once I'm up again I have to replace the original footage with the recompressed footage, re-render (which on its own takes 3 hours due to the length of this filler), convert for a web upload to Blip, then do the actual upload.

So yeah... lesson learned: Always convert to H.264 first. :P

Video codecs are just so darned FUN. >_>;;;

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 894 of 3355, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Before I start, props for the populous review. I have a copy on my shelf and it got bumped up the play list quite a few spaces.

What I'd like to know is, why it takes 3 hours to encode ~15 minutes of video. My system is a good 3 years old, but I can *almost* encode 720p video on the fly.

I also realize the irony of asking someone why they are using old hardware on this forum, but when you do a video every week that's watched by millions? of people, I would think that would be a good excuse for a little more robust system.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 895 of 3355, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good question. What system do you have to encode Gemini000?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 897 of 3355, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

*writes several paragraphs of material then deletes it all*

I can't answer these questions in detail without coming off as whiny and pretentious. The bottom line is: My disposable income is a joke so I can't upgrade my equipment with any regularity, much less buy new clothes or fix the toilet in the spare bathroom. I don't have anywhere close to millions of views a month. If I did, my ad-revenue would pay for almost everything. In fact, monthly viewership only recently broke into five digits just a few months ago. And as for rendering, lacking a capture card and a lot of hard drive space, I have to do 2-pass encoding to ensure the best quality with a lower bitrate, which also ensures that my first attempt to upload to Blip will more likely go through, as the bigger the file is, the more likely glitches will break the upload. Plus, it takes a lot longer to render videos than it does to simply convert their format and this week's filler is just a little over 30 minutes long.

I'm sorry if even that comes off as bitter or rude but I'm really stressed out at the moment. x_x;

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 898 of 3355, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Filler #18 - Gemini's Minecraft Bases is online!

Still really stressed out at the moment, but I'm doing my best not to let it get to me. Took two hours to get this uploaded due to its massive size and at first I thought Blip hadn't recompressed it properly, though a clear of the cache revealed everything was working properly. :)

But yeah, today's filler has a very different tone to the stuff I usually do. I made it as ambient, serene, and atmospheric as I could given the source material. (Kinda helped by Minecraft already having all kinds of music like that.)

And again, sorry it's a day late. I just gotta remember to convert XviD to H.264 from now on before I edit it. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 899 of 3355, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would run through and put pressure plates beside all your doors. (both sides of internal doors, inside only on external doors)

Other than that, those are some fine ass bases! 😀

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread