Show full quote

The pink demons from Doom?

2cat3d_5.png

Too many appendages! Reminds me more of the Barons:

dI0h4.png

Really? I don't think so.

Demon-Doom2-map03.png

new_classic_doom_enem_pinky.gif

And look at the size of the head. That can only be an early inspiration for the pinky's. The barons also aren't as muscular and have hooves for feet. The pink demons and the ones from Catacomb clearly have toes. The ones from Catacomb are also more hunched over than the barons and don't have hairy goat legs.

Reply 941 of 3356, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They didn't even originate from Catacomb 3D. Hovertank 3D is their first 3d appearance.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 942 of 3356, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

They didn't even originate from Catacomb 3D. Hovertank 3D is their first 3d appearance.

You're right!

Hovertank_05.gif

No matter which game was first, though, they clearly inspired the pink demons in Doom.

Reply 943 of 3356, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
WolverineDK wrote:

hmmm the midi music we heard in the first of the games. Was that not from one of the three Bio Menace games, and not Keen 4 ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6nF4T20uR4

It's heard behind most of the pyramid levels.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 944 of 3356, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

YAY! You did catacomb one of the first dos games i played nearly non stop till i beat it.

Reply 945 of 3356, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SquallStrife wrote:
WolverineDK wrote:

hmmm the midi music we heard in the first of the games. Was that not from one of the three Bio Menace games, and not Keen 4 ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6nF4T20uR4

It's heard behind most of the pyramid levels.

You are right, but well. The thing is, you can sometimes hear the "musical fingerprint" of a person who has made the music in other games. Just like when I hear the main-theme from Black Rain (an underrated gem of a film from the 80). there I suddenly thought "that sounds rather like some of the musical notes from the MGS series of games". And I looked it up, and lo and behold it was the same guy/studio who had been working with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w8W5L7b5Fg

Hans Zimmer is the guy who has made the music.

And Hans Zimmer´s Remote Control Productions has been a part of making the MGS series of games theme. So there are times, where you as a person recognises the "finger print/musical notes" of the artist(s) in other areas.

Reply 946 of 3356, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 93 - Star Quest I is online!

Kinda surprised that half of the people who sent in guesses got it right... so next week's game is going to be incredibly obscure. ;D

Also, anyone know if the December 1996 issue was the thickest PC Gamer ever made, or were there any issues that were even thicker? :o

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 947 of 3356, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gemini000 wrote:

Also, anyone know if the December 1996 issue was the thickest PC Gamer ever made, or were there any issues that were even thicker? 😮

Dec 96 and 97 CGWs were pretty damn thick. Earlier and later, not so much. Not even #300.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 948 of 3356, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Explain more about how delivering pizza fit into the game play...
Also, is there a Star Quest II to validate the title?

Reply 949 of 3356, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:

Explain more about how delivering pizza fit into the game play...

When you get ready to follow someone towards a planet, you suffer a power glitch and can't go to to light speed. With a different planet nearby you cruise over it until you find a place that looks to be a rest stop of some kind, and they have a pizza delivery job available so you can earn some money to repair the glitch and get back into space.

SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:

Also, is there a Star Quest II to validate the title?

Technically yes, though it was never completed or released. Plenty of screenshots of it through on the Virtual Adventures website. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 950 of 3356, by lazygamereviews

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Star Quest I, hehe. Pretty obscure little title indeed, which I have in my collection as well. Though my copy has entirely different artwork, and yes, it's the full version. Says it's distributed by "MAGICOM" on mine.

https://www.youtube.com/lazygamereviews

Reply 951 of 3356, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lazygamereviews wrote:

Star Quest I, hehe. Pretty obscure little title indeed, which I have in my collection as well. Though my copy has entirely different artwork, and yes, it's the full version. Says it's distributed by "MAGICOM" on mine.

That's an unfortunate name... "Magicom" is a common term used for software pirating devices outside of North America... >_>;

However, a brief search through the net for Magicom reveals that "Magicom Multimedia" was a shareware distributor and released several shareware compilation discs... You may wanna double-check that your copy is the full game. It's almost impossible to tell the difference until you try selecting a mission you can't play and it says you're only allowed to watch the briefing in the shareware version. :o

It could be though that because Software Solutions was a Canadian distributor, perhaps the guys at Virtual Adventures decided to go with a different distributor in the US? *shrugs*

As for Software Solutions, it's hard to find any info on them because there's about a dozen modern companies with that same name. x_x

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 952 of 3356, by lazygamereviews

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gemini000 wrote:

You may wanna double-check that your copy is the full game. It's almost impossible to tell the difference until you try selecting a mission you can't play and it says you're only allowed to watch the briefing in the shareware version. 😮

Just double-checked, and it is indeed the full version. I guess since they also distributed shareware here in the US, they wanted to make it clear by putting a big "REGISTERED" thing on the cover.

https://www.youtube.com/lazygamereviews

Reply 953 of 3356, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Geeze, this just reminded me of when I first attempted to buy Diablo way back in 2000. It was shrink-wrapped and everything, nothing looked out of the ordinary. I get home, unwrap the shrinkwrap, open the jewel case...

...and discover a copy of the SHAREWARE version of Diablo. x_x;

I guess you need to be careful when such a game is only selling for $6 at a computer convention. Though I bought several other games from the same seller and all of them were equally cheap yet completely legit. *shrugs*

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 954 of 3356, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 94 - Caverns of Xaskazien is online!

Lots of guesses for Menzoberranzan this week, which was definitely a good guess, but then this is why they're called "guesses", right? ;)

I'm kinda surprised this game isn't as well known as I expected, though at the same time, I've noticed that freeware stuff usually doesn't get the same kind of attention shareware/commercial stuff does, which is a shame considering how much awesome freeware there is... though the DOS version of this game is not one of them. The Windows version though, it's much more up to date, has tons more features, and is much more fun, plus there's a sequel in the works! :D

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 955 of 3356, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The numlock problem is a dosbox bug (most likely). I fixed in the current code many moons ago.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 956 of 3356, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Gemini000: thanks for this great review of a game, that reminds me a lot of the C64 classic Sword Of Fargoal (it is a very nice clone/rip off of that game). So I think I will recommend this game (in the windows version) to a friend of mine. Cause I actually think he will love this game a LOT, cause the pc remake of Sword Of Fargoal, has a very serious bug in it. Every time you complete the game. It reboots your pc, which seriously suck. So thanks for a great review 😀

Reply 957 of 3356, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 95 - Commander Keen is online! :)

Kind of a shorter episode than usual this week. Coming up with the script was a bit difficult and due to approaching bad weather I had to get to writing the script while still frustrated at the third Keen game, so I missed a couple obvious things that I really should've talked about in the review proper.

THIS is part of the reason why I have an Additional Information section below each video! ;)

Other than that, lots of guesses for Jazz Jackrabbit this week, though most of them came in after almost all the guesses for Commander Keen were made, which was kinda weird. :o

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 958 of 3356, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gemini000 wrote:

I'm kinda surprised this game isn't as well known as I expected, though at the same time, I've noticed that freeware stuff usually doesn't get the same kind of attention shareware/commercial stuff does, which is a shame considering how much awesome freeware there is...

Freeware isn't known to have hyped up file_id.diz files.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 959 of 3356, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have all 7 Commander Keen games. I never completed 2, 3, or the lost episode.