VOGONS

First post, by ThePerson98

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

www.elderscrolls.com
So who wants a SLI config 7800 GTX to run this?

AMD Athlon XP 2500+
Soyo KT600 Dragon Plus
ATi Radeon 9800 256 MB
Maxtor 200 GB
Western Digital 40 GB
512 MB PC2700 DDR RAM

Reply 1 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you need an SLI rig to run it then I'll do like I do with all of the latest and greatest games......wait for technology to catch up price wise. Staying up to date you'll always be disappointed and pissed off by bugs/slow loading times/copy protection...waiting a year or so after the latest game comes out allows the bugs and price to go down providing a much better experience, IMO. Besides Morrowind is all about the Mods unless Oblivion is the best RPG EVAR! Then I don't see that changing much and it'll be quite awhile for some good mods to come out.

Been on an old games kick for the last 2 years. It's great not having to worry about these things......hey it's almost like my computer is a console (games just working that is, not the downsides of console use 😉 ).

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 7, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yep. I remember when Daggerfall (TES 2) came out, I only had a 120MHz 486. I later upgraded to a PII-450 and it was too fast for the game.
Then when Morrowind (TES 3) came out, I only had a PIII-550, on which it was barely playable. Later, I upgraded to an Athlon XP 2600+ and it ran great.
I imagine the same thing will happen when Oblivion (TES 4) comes out.

Also, if you're wondering about Arena (TES 1): I actually did play that first, but on my cousin's computer. I think it either didn't run on my 8MHz 286, or maybe I didn't get a copy of it until I had a 33MHz 386. It still ran slow until my 486, but by then I had Daggerfall.

Side note: I've never finished any of the Elder Scrolls games, even Battlespire (never played Redguard since I never owned a 3dfx card). I know now that I never will because they're too big, and I explore so much that it would take forever (sticking to the main plot just to beat a game is boring, which is why I've never finished a PSX RPG other than Chrono Trigger).

At any rate, I can't wait for Oblivion to come out so that Bethesda can focus full-time on Fallout 3! I'll probably play Oblivion for a couple weeks and then put it down just like the rest of the TES games...

Reply 3 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I played Daggerfall every now and then when it first came out but the bugginess always put me off . That was my first intro to the TES. I then played Morrowind and actually beat that....unfortunately it was waaaay to easy to beat it and I beat it when it first came out......which meant that I missed out on all of the improvements the community made to the game. I won't make that mistake again. 😉

Supposedly Oblivion is supposed to fix alot of the mistakes of Morrowind but this is like what? The 6th TES game? Chances are that just like any other game it won't be nearly as good until a year or so down the line after it's been out awhile.

It'll be interesting to see how Oblivion turns out, mabye it'll give hints as to what they'll do with Fallout 3. If that is the case then I hope I like Ovlivion......

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 7, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here is a list of TES games:
1993 - TES: Arena
1996 - TES 2: Daggerfall
1997 - TES Legend: Battlespire (spinoff game)
1998 - TES Adventures: Redguard (spinoff game)
2002 - TES 3: Morrowind (also includes Tribunal [2002] and Bloodmoon [2003] expansions)

I guess there's a cellphone (or maybe N-Gage?) TES spinoff game, although I don't know whether or not it's been released. And of course TES 4: Oblivion will be coming out soon for PC (and eventually XBox 360). Morrowind was also released on the XBox, but without the expansions (I think).

One of the things that's been lost along the way is that Arena and Daggerfall used randomly-generated environments to make a gigantic world. Morrowind used a completely hand-crafted world that ends up feeling a lot more static - there's no replay value except to see what it's like to start as a different character. Even having different character classes doesn't add much replay value, however, since you eventually become good at everything. I remember my roommate played the game quite a bit and eventually become some kind of flying, near-invincible god.

Edit: I should mention that Bethesda took a long time to get into Windows development. Morrowind was their first Windows TES title, although Redguard supported 3dfx hardware acceleration via Glide.

Reply 6 of 7, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I recently revisited Morrowind to test my video and sound drivers. I was reminded of how fun and open it is, but that also scared me away from playing it for too long 😉

Also, you must check this out: http://tes.vasya.stepanets.info/tweaker/download.html