Sierra compilations confirmed!

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 33, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, so do I. Never seen that before!

Anyways, it's much of a muchness. Point is, you'd be pretty stupid to buy these packs generally speaking, and more so if all you wanted was KQ6 WIN.

I would suggest they'd put something widely used like DOSBOX over FreeDOS, but regardless, it "ain't gonna be pretty". Just a way to screw us folks, and you can count on that.

- Spike

Reply 22 of 33, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Personally I think I'm not going to like the packs because they'll probably replace all the MIDI music with recorded stuff (which may well be why they games won't fit on a single DVD). In the last year I've purchased both an MT-32 and an SC-88 (Sound Canvas), and before that I used soundfonts and whatnot that would still make Sierra game music sound better than whatever pre-recorded stuff they're likely to crank out (or the M$ software synth - bleh).

Reply 23 of 33, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well I want them to record them....because those of us without the MT-32 cannot hear what the games were meant to sound like. Since adlib won't be emulated, I don't want to hear their shitty windows midis. Recording are the only way to come close to the originals.

Also heres a thought I had -

Gametap (the turner service) has Space Quest and other old sierra games on it. Apprently they work perfectly and have full sound on XP. How is this possible? Through some emulation layer? Maybe what we are going to get are the versions meant for gametap?

I mean....isn't it ironic that the C&C games are on gametap and have also been XP friendly? Maybe they also came from there.

All I'm saying is SOMEONE had to have ported those games to gametap and it probably was someone from VUgames. I can't prove any of this as a Canadian citizen gametap won't let me sign up and the games aren't available in the demo version.

Reply 24 of 33, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Gametap must some sort of of emulation for all of those titles.

There's a Gametap rep who browse's the ArsTechnica forum's so if I see him again I'll ask.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 25 of 33, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote:

Gametap must some sort of of emulation for all of those titles.

There's a Gametap rep who browse's the ArsTechnica forum's so if I see him again I'll ask.

I tried the demo and played Sonic the Hedgehog. It was perfectly emulated 😲 I'm curious as to what they use to emulate these games. Worse though, why are there recent games? They can't be emulated or they would run like hell.

So I'm wondering if they are emulated, or simply made to work on modern hardware. After all, there were PC versions of Sonic and many other games included. I'm just REALLY curious as to how the sierra games work.

Reply 26 of 33, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can't believe that they would invest too much time recoding these games. I would imagine that it would still be MIDI.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 27 of 33, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
collector wrote:

I can't believe that they would invest too much time recoding these games. I would imagine that it would still be MIDI.

Thats what I would assume, but then again what does gametap use? Adlib emulation? MT-32 emulation? Recordings? If the work is already done you can bet that VUgames will use it.

Reply 28 of 33, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Dunno. I've never used Gametap and never will...not even to demo it so all I have to go by is hearsay. 🙁

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 29 of 33, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

*speculation warning* Probably adlib emulation. The only way I can see them doing it is to take open source tools like FreeSCI and extend them to the quality needed for commercial bundling.

I suppose it's possible that Vivendi has kept a team of programmers in a basement somewhere, making their Windows-based Sierra SCI interpreters able to run older DOS games natively in Windows... Who knows?

Reply 31 of 33, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Considering that they are going to release games using pretty much every single version of AGI and SCI that should be very easy for them. I would not mind seeing other games as well -- Laura Bow, Conquests of the Longbow, Gold Rush, Freddy Pharkas.
Not holding my breath though. Most likely scenario is: Vivendi releases those four collections, probably two-three months late. The collections will be full of bugs and generally messed up in many ways due to the lack of testing and engineering resources. Marketing is not going to do any promotions, the distribution will be patchy. After a few months of poor sales Vivendi will quietly discontinue them. Two months later SoldOut or Xplosiv will pick them and start selling them for $5-$10.

Reply 33 of 33, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here are screens of the DOS and windows version.

It would be easier to take the screenshot using DOSBox's utility. Also, PNGs or GIFs are much smaller with this type of artwork.