Xenophage released as freeware!

Topic actions

First post, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

http://www.3drealms.com/news/2006/04/the_apog … _legacy_16.html

The link is at the bottom of the page. 3DRealms proves once again they actually give a damn about their old catalogue and fans.

Reply 1 of 23, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks for posting that!

Too bad most people keep on buying the crappy games that come out today when there's all that old game goodness just floating around on the internet.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 23, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote:

Too bad most people keep on buying the crappy games that come out today when there's all that old game goodness just floating around on the internet.

There are still some good games. You can't just stay in the past 😵 It only leads to burning out on these oldies.

I've never played this one before so its nice to be able to download it freely. Its actually pretty cool.

Reply 3 of 23, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, there are SOME good games out day but most are crap. What I was saying is that it would be nice if instead of people buying the crap they would just load up their browser and play the huge number of free games out there. 😀

Reply 4 of 23, by doomer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There are still some good games. You can't just stay in the past 😵 It only leads to burning out on these oldies.

Agreed. Old games are fantastic. I keep playing them along with the new ones but I'm also worried that we will run out of old games. I've not played them all though but... 😉

We should not discard new games. If you've at least tried God of War or Ico or Shadow of the Colossus, you will know that as Avatar_58 said there are still some good games. If you've also played games like Syberia you will know why you love gaming so much. 😀

Avatar is just too right. You can't stay in the past forever. We will run out of old games sooner or later.

Reply 5 of 23, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DosFreak I hate you.....I thought of you today. I went into ebgames and they had shrunk the PC games section yet again. Seems that someone out there is trying to prevent me from ever playing these new games......🙁

(least I have the oldies....)

Reply 6 of 23, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't blame me. Blame the PC publishers/developers who moved to the XBOX......

I've never had any problems buying new games from brick & mortar stores....of course it's helped by the fact that I probably only at the most buy 2 new PC games a year.....and that's usually waiting a year after it's been out (Oblivion was the exception).

Now that I work at a place that Fedex actually comes by themselves on a daily basis I'll probably just start ordering online instead of having to put up with Best Buy employees always bugging me.

Oh...your going to EBGAMES that's why. The primary customer base for those kinds of stores are of course consoles nowadays. (Of course it's always been like this but not to such extremes.)

Reply 7 of 23, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually for the longest time the EBgames here actually had quite a large PC games section. All the sudden its not needed. 🙁 What, they loosing money? :\

I just hope some of the upcoming games I actually want still show up, otherwise I have to go elsewhere.

Reply 8 of 23, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would venture a guess that EB makes most of their money on used game sales. Since they don't sell used PC games the shelf space keeps getting smaller and smaller since that is not what they are pushing. They buy a used console game for $5-10 (store credit) and sell it for $45, a very large margin compared to their conventional sales of new games.

I wish more companies would follow Apogee/3D Realms example and release their older titles. There are so many good games that are no longer being sold and are only available via abandonware sites that it would be nice to have a legal way of getting them. Xenophage is one that I never got around to playing in the past, but I just downloaded it and will try it later tonight. Thanks for the post avatar_58.

Reply 9 of 23, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

doomer: Actually, I seriously have a large enough backlog of old games I want to play that I could spend the rest of my life on them 😀

Xian97: I agree with your analysis, but will add that PC games tend to cater to a more hardcore audience and thus don't sell as well. That's why the few PC games left on the shelves are the big sellers like The Sims, WoW, Oblivion, Half-Life 2, etc. - they have the most mass appeal. Add that to the issue of not being able to resell newer used PC games due to things like CD keys, and you have an equation for bad news.

Gaming is changing into something different than it was when we grew up with it in the last 30 years. A new generation is deciding what they think gaming should be, and the market is responding accordingly. We're going to be like those people who still have vinyl record or 8-track music collections with our piles of old games that we insist are better than this newfangled stuff that kids are into 😉

Reply 10 of 23, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nah, I still like new games....just not new games that I don't like. 😉

For instance:

Thief 1/2 or Thief 3 (MODS don't count).
Thief 1/2 of course.

Doom 1/2 or Doom 3?
Doom 1 and 2 of course.

Deus Ex or Deus Ex: IW

Deus Ex

Warcraft 2 or Warcraft 3

Warcraft 2 because it's a strategy game

Daggerfall,Morrowind or Oblivion?

Tough call but Oblivion with all of it's faults is the better game and Daggerfall was a buggy POS. Mabye eventually I'll get around to playing it again with DosBox because the last time I really tried to play it was around when it first came out....and boy was that fun....NOT.

Quake 1,2, or 4 (Quake 3 isn't singleplayer so I left it off).
Tought choice there too especially since I haven't really played Quake1/2 since they've come out....and I haven't played Quake 4 yet. Considering that Raven made Quake 4 and the big thing about Quake 4 was supposedly it was supposed to have a story then I'm sure Quake 4 is better than Quake 1/2 as far as being a better game.

UT, UT 2003, UT 2004

UT. I don't like sports games and UT 2003/2004 started stressing the "sport" of multiplayer games. BLEH!

So for me it's all about gameplay. Old/New/Gay/Straight/black/white/purple/young/old if it's good then I like it.

The one thing about gaming today that worries me is MMORPG's. I've been worried that mabye I have been growing older and not able to get with the times but the thing is that I played BBS'S/LAN party/Modem games back in the early-mid 90's and I had plenty of fun and I play some MUD's today but I've never been able to get into MMORPG's. I really figured it out awhile back.....MMORPG's are basically dead envivornments that are basically level treadmills and not much interactivity or actually much at all and are pretty much just high-tech chat rooms. (I was big in IRC in the late 90's as well but that died down quite awhile ago). I noticed WOW has started to change this but most RPG's are not to the level of MUDS or paper D&D.

So the way that I look at it the times are evolving towards what I like rather than me having to evolve with the times. 😉

Reply 11 of 23, by doomer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HunterZ wrote:

doomer: Actually, I seriously have a large enough backlog of old games I want to play that I could spend the rest of my life on them 😀

Yeah, I know. 😀
But the idea is scary, don't you think? No more old games... Will they make more old games?

I found it funny.

Reply 12 of 23, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

New games will become old games. Those who have never played the old games will consider their games to be the old ones later, and will cherish them the way we now cherish ours. Maybe.

Reply 13 of 23, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HunterZ wrote:

New games will become old games. Those who have never played the old games will consider their games to be the old ones later, and will cherish them the way we now cherish ours. Maybe.

Exactly my point. Its already begun.....people call Mario 64, Halo and others "classic". Kind of funny, considering they were made after '96. People will eventually call HL2 a classic.

Thats why I don't judge a game based on age, or say that "all old games are better" when its not true.

Besides, the kids today who grow up with PS3 as their atari or NES will look at Metal Gear Solid 4 as their Pong. Think about that.

Reply 14 of 23, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Think about that.

I'd rather not, if you don't mind - it makes me feel old. 😉

How many "gamers" today have even heard of Pong, I wonder? How many of those realize its significance?

Fortunately, I know that there are still a few of us out there. I'm proud to say that I live only a couple towns away from the site of PAX (Penny Arcade Expo) where Pong and Atarti 2600 Combat were the first and second year secret final tournament games.

Reply 15 of 23, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Naw, everyone knows Pong...even those upstart new age gamers 😉 Otherwise there wouldn't be so many free flash remixes out there.

However significance or not, these are just games 😀 What appeals to one guy, won't to another. I'm almost damn sure that the kids today will look upon Doom and Wolf3d as old and dried up while playing the sequels down the road 😉 We'll just be there to shack our canes at them in anger. 😁

Reply 16 of 23, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmmm, well Return to Castle Wolfenstein is a superior game when compared to Wolf3D.....I look at it gameplay wise and for me Doom 1 and 2 are far superior to Doom 3....and with Jdoom (or other port) the graphical difference isn't that different or important. (to me anyway).

Reply 17 of 23, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Agreed. I would add that instead of playing Doom 3 I would play Quake 4 (more amusing gamewise).

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 18 of 23, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'll have to check out Quake 4. The only PC gaming I haven time for is on the weekends or mabye an hour or two a day and right now I'm still playing Oblivion. 60hrs in so far!
I'm going to keep playing until I get bored (hasn't happened yet), probably not going to play it again for another 3-4 years when all the mods/expansions and TC's have come out for it. It'll be amazing to see what Oblivion will be like in 3-4 years....

Reply 19 of 23, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

RtCW was okay but really just another shooter based on the Quake3 engine. I agree that the Doom source ports are great though 😀

Quake 4 I played for maybe an hour before getting bored and putting it down. It's just another shooter with pretty (but dark) graphics.

I haven't enjoyed any run-of-the-mill shooters (except for Half-Life 2) since I played the original Deus Ex. After that, they're all a bunch of mindless, mind-numbing running, jumping, and shooting. I guess what I'm getting at is that there's no immersion factor due to the genericness of the game world.

System Shock 2 and Vampire: Bloodlines were good, although I didn't finish the latter of the two.