VOGONS

Duke3d Source Code Released!

Topic actions

First post, by truth_deleted

User metadata

The source code for the Duke3d executable has been released! Now we can finally have win2k/XP support to play Duke3d properly in all its intended goodness.

Courtesy of the gaming news site, www.bluesnews.com:

"As noted on the 3D Realms Website, the source code for Duke Nukem 3D is now available, as 3D Realms has chosen April Fool's Day to (no joke) release the source to the not-actually-3D build-engine game under terms of the GNU GPL. The accompanying notes place restrictions on how the source can be utilized, and word is that 3D Realms is not interested in proposals on how to commercially exploit this release. The mere 3.8 MB download an be found on 3D Gamers and FileShack (registration required). No support is being offered for this release."

Reply 1 of 20, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Now if all the other companies that used the duke3d engine for their games also released their source, the world would be a happier place 😀

Reply 3 of 20, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

OMMFG! This is some ****** up **** right here! This like totally whack, man.

Think of the possibilites. No more waiting for Dosbox to support protected mode. Woohoo!

Now we just need to get the Mechwarrior source code released. 😀

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 20, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by DosFreak Think of the possibilites. No more waiting for Dosbox to support protected mode. Woohoo!

Hrrmm. Tempted to wait for April 2 before I start asking too many questions. If it was a joke then it would be a very foolish one, however....

Well? It's been several Hours now!...why don't we have a DoomsDay-equivalent port yet!?! So much for my patience...

Reply 10 of 20, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by truth5678 And thus glDuke has been released, see this thread:

And things are already improving:
http://www.shacknews.com/ja.zz?id=7144651.

Already has sound effects, music, support for up to at least 1024x768...

Just a little bit more and I can make an overhaul to my "Problem Children" listing...

Attachments

• dukexp.png
    Filename
    dukexp.png
    File size
    181.27 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 11 of 20, by truth_deleted

User metadata

Ok, the win32 port works! Go here:
http://www.rancidmeat.com/project.php3?id=1

Download this file under "files":
duke3d_w32_b7.zip

Extract the following from the above zip file into your duke3d:
duke3d_w32.exe
duke3d.cfg
SDL.dll
SDL_mixer.dll

Modify using a text editor the file named duke3d.cfg so the keyboard works according to your taste, for example:
Move_Forward = "W" ""
note: You need to add the two double quotes after the "W", don't forget this.

The sound works for me under 1.3D, the music works, the video works: IT WORKS! The author said he is doing further work so it's all bonus to me (i.e. DukeMatches over the internet).

-truth5678

Reply 12 of 20, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
truth5678 wrote:

Ok, the win32 port works!

Is there an echo in here? *heh*

Download this file under "files":
duke3d_w32_b7.zip

While that is actually a more recent release, it seems to generate (very) inferior digital audio compared to the previous release in the shacknews thread. That's why it's probably a good idea to wait for more feedback from other users before we declare it all to be "fixed.

Extract the following from the above zip file into your duke3d:
duke3d_w32.exe
duke3d.cfg

I would recommend that people should not copy the DUKE3D.CFG file over. It can use your existing CFG file. Just make sure that you choose a SoundBlaster for audio and a VESA resolution for video (actually, you can use VGA if you're desperate for video speed).

I don't know what kind of config he was using, but I think it's safe to call it "odd".

The sound works for me under 1.3D, the music works, the video works: IT WORKS!

Let's not go nuts just yet. We need more input from other people and more testing.

Last thing we need to do is declare total victory, only to turn around and have 20 pages worth of things that "don't work".

Reply 13 of 20, by truth_deleted

User metadata

The latest version really worked pretty great for me. I think the long time we have been emulating duke3d makes this port so awesome in comparison. Can you believe they did alot of this in a matter of DAYS! Can you imagine 3 weeks, we will be holoDuking around the maps over the internet counting the oldSkool frags!

The reason why I mentioned the cfg file from the zip is you can't run the setup.exe (part of original duke3d files) and choose soundblaster unless it detects one. If you use win2k without dos sound emulation, then you really have to use the cfg in the zip as a reference.

I'm sure there will be "bugs" but this really is a gigantic leap forward to a win32 port.

Thanks,
-truth5678

Reply 14 of 20, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by truth5678 The latest version really worked pretty great for me.

If you take a look at 3DRealms Duke3DSource forum, you'll find people making declarations of the best port, with no consistency. Just about everyone is getting different results. With a month, I think we'll see a lot more consistency.

It still strikes me odd that the earlier build at shacknews is the only port that generates clean audio for me. Ah well, I waited for this for years...I can wait a bit longer. Besides, I'm still waiting on a stable high-res port of R.O.T.T.

The reason why I mentioned the cfg file from the zip is you can't run the setup.exe (part of original duke3d files) and choose soundblaster unless it detects one.

Then they should probably just copy the [Sound Setup] portion of the file over to their original. In any case, it's just advice.

I'm sure there will be "bugs" but this really is a gigantic leap forward to a win32 port.

Of course. It's just that for some people...
http://forums.3drealms.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php … c;f=25;t=000039

..they're still not satisfied with basic stability. Let it cook a while longer...it'll make a fine meal. *pause* I've got stop it with the food analogies.

Reply 16 of 20, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
truth5678 wrote:

Can you believe they did alot of this in a matter of DAYS! C
-truth5678

Why, yes I can. This is what happens when you have source code and people who love a project. Instead of just programing day after day after grueeelliinngg day programming databases for that measly paycheck. 😉

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 18 of 20, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by truth5678 But now it's time to put down your RAD tools and "it's time to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all outa gum!"

You know, I'm starting to get the impression that truth5678 is a big Duke3D fan...