http://www.rancidmeat.com/project.php3?id=1

Download this file under "files":
duke3d_w32_b7.zip

Extract the following from the above zip file into your duke3d:
duke3d_w32.exe
duke3d.cfg
SDL.dll
SDL_mixer.dll

Modify using a text editor the file named duke3d.cfg so the keyboard works according to your taste, for example:
Move_Forward = "W" ""
note: You need to add the two double quotes after the "W", don't forget this.

The sound works for me under 1.3D, the music works, the video works: IT WORKS! The author said he is doing further work so it's all bonus to me (i.e. DukeMatches over the internet).

-truth5678

(to moderators: i posted this also under source code thread and hope it is ok that i created a new thread for this)

Reply 2 of 26, by truth_deleted

User metadata

Well, beta 10 is now out today! I have some additional setup info from what is already listed in the first post:

1. Copy defs.con, user.con, and game.con from the zip file to the hard drive (duke3d directory).

2. To add mouse look to your duke3d.cfg, change "MouseAiming = 0" to:
MouseAiming = 1

3. Now the next one is big:
To change from window to Full-screen press alt-enter on the keyboard.

4. Now TCP/IP networking is included in the latest version of duke3d for win32 that allows DukeMatches over a LAN (not usable over internet yet); see the following files contained in the zip for setup:
networking.txt
netcfg_player1.txt
netcfg_player2.txt

Reply 3 of 26, by truth_deleted

User metadata

If you do all the above steps and have mediocre sound, try the following steps after performing the above:

1. download a modified binary of duke3d_win32 here:
http://home.earthlink.net/~kode54/duke3d_w32_b11-k54b.zip

2. modify the following duke3d.cfg sound settings to these values:
FXDevice = 6
MusicDevice = 6
FXVolume = 220
MusicVolume = 136
NumVoices = 8
NumChannels = 2
NumBits = 16
MixRate = 48000

Reply 4 of 26, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oddly enough, using the beta10 executable with "mix rate" that's a multiple of 8000 (using 48000) seemed to just about fix everything (except for the area-specific crashes). Unfortunately, the beta12 seems to have broken audio again. It all sounds horribly distorted (tried multiple mixrate settings).

That and the numerous drop-to-desktop events make me want to hold off on recommendations just yet...

Reply 5 of 26, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

He sure is updating this port fast! Tried out Build 12 last night and it was great.

Limited to 1600X1200 res tho. 🙁 heh. Not like it makes a difference being at such a high res anyway but I want 2048X1536! 😁

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 26, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by DosFreak Limited to 1600X1200 res tho. 🙁 heh. Not like it makes a difference being at such a high res anyway but I want 2048X1536!

You're insane. I also like higher resolutions, but even on massive, "wide-open" maps, you just won't see much of a difference beyond 1024x768 or so...

I think his time would be better spent finding out the causes for the crashes in certain areas of certain maps...and fixing them.

Reply 8 of 26, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by truth5678 Try the following web site for a modification of the win32 version of icculus' Duke3D port:...This has the best sound and tweaks the mouse movement nicely.

Yes, that restores the audio. Still has the drop-to-desktop issues, but I'm starting to think those may not be fixed for a long while (most obvious glitch is the entry near the start of the Area51 level. Dropping down underground, then opening the door is a guaranteed crash).

It only runs full-screen, but who runs this in a window anyways!

As pointless as it is...there's something cool about Duke3D running through it's cycle of demos in a 320x200 window while browsing the Web.

Reply 9 of 26, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

Yes, that restores the audio. Still has the drop-to-desktop issues, but I'm starting to think those may not be fixed for a long while (most obvious glitch is the entry near the start of the Area51 level. Dropping down underground, then opening the door is a guaranteed crash).
As pointless as it is...there's something cool about Duke3D running through it's cycle of demos in a 320x200 window while browsing the Web.

Hmm... *me reminisces about the reverb crashes that the original DOS version had*

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 10 of 26, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover Hmm... *me reminisces about the reverb crashes that the original DOS version had*

You noticed that as well, eh? It always seems to be when entering "certain areas". Unfortunately, on that level, it's the only way to actually complete the level without using cheats...(hrmm...except maybe for jetpacking to the hidden teleporter maybe...)

Reply 12 of 26, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover No, it was just a thought I had. I don't know if I ever actually got far enough in Duke to encounter the problem portion.

Well, I meant you recognized the similarity of the Win32 port crashes to those of the "non-ISA SoundCard" crashes. Needs further testing...

Reply 13 of 26, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Build 13 is out

Build 13 is up. Both binary-only and full source packages are available. I've updated the networking.txt to reflect recent changes to the networking system. The 2 player limit should be fixed as well.

Reply 16 of 26, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover You sure it's not just needing to be multiples of 8kHz?

I've been using a multiple of 8KHz since I mentioned it earlier in the thread.

The original beta10 was the last version to run with proper audio for me. The only other compatible versions were the "kode54" modified executables.

Reply 17 of 26, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Build 15 is out: http://www.rancidmeat.com/project.php3?id=1

Adds console support! 😮

Reply 18 of 26, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by DosFreak Build 15 is out:...

I'm being wooed by JonoF's Duke Nukem 3D Port at http://jonof.edgenetwk.com/buildport/duke3d/

Good sound and a Win32 setup program. Testing in progress...