VOGONS

Duke Nukem 3D Source Code

Topic actions

First post, by Col.J.P.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Paul told me it is quite dificult to get the Duke Nukem 3D Source Code from File Planet, so I grabed it and uploaded it in my own FTP.

You can find it here

http://www.filefront.com/?filepath=/ravengame … uke3dsource.zip

Hope it will help

Cheers

Reply 1 of 28, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sweet. When the ROTT source came out, I sold my soul to file planet and waitedn queue for 40mins to download it, I then found the ROTT Source on another FTP 5 mins after downloading.

NEVER AGAIN! (Until another exclusive source code release 🙄 )

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 28, by Col.J.P.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Get a personal server, its cheap and very handy sometimes.
Specially if you're on the gaming business, like I am, when you need to get a lot of demos and patches quickly and fast.

If you need anything else from File Planet, just let me know, ok?

Reply 4 of 28, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by HunterZ There's no way in hell I'd ever give money to Fileplanet or any other part of Gamespy. No.

I think he means that he registered for basic downloads, not that he paid for services.

Reply 5 of 28, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No, he's plainly suggesting that the Freak buy into FilePlanet's (GameSpy's) evil scheme to make you pay to get a "FilePlanet personal server(TM)" to avoid having to wait in their purposely overcrowded queues.

Reply 7 of 28, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by HunterZ No, he's plainly suggesting that the Freak buy into FilePlanet's (GameSpy's) evil scheme...

Ok, I see now that you're responding to Col.J.P., whereas I originally thought you were responding to DosFreak's post. In any case, the solution for not paying is fairly simple.

Reply 9 of 28, by 3803

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There are some rumours that this guy will look into the code some time...He did ports for hexen, heretic and doom, so with some luck we won't need glidos, if a opengl port or something gets available: http://www.doomsdayhq.com for the hexen, heretic and doom ports

I've been following his work since 3 years now, and i must say that he probably is one of the best coders out there. He is definitely capable of coding a opengl duke port
😎

Reply 10 of 28, by Col.J.P.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Don't count on that.
The Build Engine has some very serious limitations to OpenGL ports.
Why do you think there's not even a single working port for none of the Build Engine games?
Duke, Blood, Red Neck, Shadow Warrior...
Nothing...
The Build Engine works great in DOS sofware mode, but its a nighmare when you try to accelerate it...
The thing is not even a real 3D engine.
Even Jaakko will be in deep trouble with it.
You'll see.

Reply 11 of 28, by 3803

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

GlDuke is on sourceforge now...And it seems that the project has been continued (last update somewhere in 2003)

The reason why no ports are available is because the source has just been released

I just can't figure out how glDuke made it this far without the sources being released

Anyways, Jaakko actually posted on the newspage that he might look into the code...

So if it's possible to make port without the source (glduke)...why would be impossible for Jaakko, now that the source is released?

The doom engine isn't a real 3D engine as well, so i don't really get your point when you say it's that hard to accomplish

Oh well, I'll just hope he'll do it, if not, I'm sure someone else will

Reply 12 of 28, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Col.J.P. Why do you think there's not even a single working port for none of the Build Engine games?

Like 3803 said, the source code was only released a couple of weeks ago. The "BUILD" source that was on Ken Silverman's site is the pre-Duke version. Could make a nice equivalent of "Ken's Labyrinth"...but much else. The BUILD code Ken had released earlier could also handle the Ken-BUILD "game", but not near enough for a Duke port.

Duke, Blood, Red Neck, Shadow Warrior...
Nothing...
The Build Engine works great in DOS sofware mode, but its a nighmare when you try to accelerate it...

Well that was with the DOS original, after people get comfortable with the code, I expect we'll see some "real 3D" enhancements.

The thing is not even a real 3D engine.
Even Jaakko will be in deep trouble with it.

Neither was DOOM, but he handled that just fine. Technically, his DOOMSDAY ports aren't "true" 3D anyway (no room-over-room support even...). Sure fooled my eyes...

In any case, I think the Duke ports will come from elsewhere, as he is still working on DOOMSDAY enhancements...

Reply 13 of 28, by Col.J.P.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I only wish you're right about this. If you talk with Jaakko or Janis (at http://www.vavoom-engine.com/ ) either one can tell you what I mean with this. The Doom Engine is far more versatile then the Build Engine. Then again, I'm not a programmer...
But I'm still a little ceptical, from what I've heard in the Blood forums...

Lets see!

Reply 14 of 28, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Col.J.P. I only wish you're right about this. ... The Doom Engine is far more versatile then the Build Engine.

Col., you're such a cynic. I think I know what you mean, but I'm not looking for a whole lot myself.

High-res with stable audio is basically what I'm looking for... Having said that, I would like 3D rendering of the maps and (real) mouselook. I'm sure if they talk with Matt Hildred, the map-rendering shouldn't be that big of a problem.

3D Model rendering is another thing altogether...

But I'm still a little skeptical, from what I've heard in the Blood forums...

I've actually had a gripe with the way they are trying make everything "real" 3D. They're making things much more difficult than need be... It is very rare for a 3D model to appear as detailed and recognizable as the original 2D sprite.

Look how long they've been working on the Quake1 version... and I still hate most of their 3D models. Even with the DOOMSDAY engine, I make a point to only use 3D models that "fit" really, really well... Mostly those are inert objects like lamps, etc... although there have been a few good "character" models.

Reply 15 of 28, by Col.J.P.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Cynic, moi? No way, I'm just totally disapointed after years and years trying to make Duke 3D and Blood to work right.

I just gave up on both of them, specially after the Geforce 3 revolution, the thing became pointless...

But I agree with you about 3D models, the quality of painted sprites is far away better that the shitty raw models of those arcane years...

But did you want shaders in Quake?
Get Tenebrae...

http://tenebrae.sourceforge.net/

The 3D models are still horrid but the lightning rocks...

Reply 16 of 28, by 3803

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There are more detailed 3d models available for tenebrae
Most of them are pretty good since they only had to remake the models with a higher polycount...

But I agree with you on the sprites...Most of the 3d models aren't that good...Some are really different from their original sprites

Reply 17 of 28, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can quite imagine ways in which the build engine could be structured to make an OpenGL port very difficult. But, it can with complete certainty be done.

Someone worked out how to do the Glide port for Blood. They didn't manage to isolate the triangles to be rendered, and instead rendered lots of lines, but Glidos has code in it to reconstruct the triangles with correct perspective from the lines. I don't believe this is the way it shoudl be done for Duke (seeing as the source is available, but it is demonstration that it can be done.

I know Blood doesn't look particularly wonderful under Glidos, but that isn't anything lacking in the technique.

Reply 18 of 28, by Schadenfreude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Glidos wrote:

I can quite imagine ways in which the build engine could be structured to make an OpenGL port very difficult. But, it can with complete certainty be done.

Someone worked out how to do the Glide port for Blood. They didn't manage to isolate the triangles to be rendered, and instead rendered lots of lines, but Glidos has code in it to reconstruct the triangles with correct perspective from the lines. I don't believe this is the way it shoudl be done for Duke (seeing as the source is available, but it is demonstration that it can be done.

I know Blood doesn't look particularly wonderful under Glidos, but that isn't anything lacking in the technique.

Could you have a look at Shadow Warrior 3dfx at some point? It, too, is a BUILD-engine game that was converted to use Glide. It probably uses EXACTLY the same method.

Again, wrapping it would be as pointless as wrapping Blood. But it would be fun to try! And hopefully might be easy to do!

Reply 19 of 28, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Col.J.P. Cynic, moi? No way, I'm just totally disapointed after years and years trying to make Duke 3D and Blood to work right.

Of course, they never had the original source code all those years...

I just gave up on both of them, specially after the Geforce 3 revolution, the thing became pointless...

*gasp* Say it isn't so... I don't care how advanced the tech gets... until I get an almost identical remake of the original BLOOD, I won't be satisfied.

But I agree with you about 3D models, the quality of painted sprites is far away better that the shitty raw models of those arcane years...

I'm not just talking about the old models, even the most recent models lack some of the nuances that sprites always had. They are getting there...it's just that all a sprite needs is a wide range of colors and good artist to make it look good. A 3D model needs a lot more to pull off the same level of detail...

But did you want shaders in Quake?
Get Tenebrae...

I've got Tenebrae, but it's overkill for Quake 1. It uses a lot of resources (framerate drop is significant), and tends to have a look like someone sprayed silicone sealant all over the levels, and that all the bad guys are encased in Vinyl.

The 3D models are still horrid but the lightning rocks...

For Q1, I'll stick with TomazQuake.