VOGONS

PCEm. Another PC emulator.

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 840 of 1046, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Scali wrote:

Did anyone else notice this? And is there a fix/workaround?

I found the problem: the PIC mask is set to 0xFF, so the keyboard interrupts don't fire, which means the menu can't respond to keypresses.
I think the problem may be this, in pic_write() (in file pic.c at line 106):

if (val&16) /*ICW1*/
{
//pic.mask=0xFF;
pic.mask2=0;
pic.icw=1;
pic.icw1=val;
pic.ins = 0;
pic_updatepending();
}

I've commented out the pic.mask = 0xFF there, and then it works. The demo writes the mask 0xFB, which would keep the keyboard enabled.
However, this bit of code overwrites it to 0xFF later, which seems to be the problem. I don't think the mask gets reset on real hardware when you write an ICW1. Should be easy to verify.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 841 of 1046, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like it does......according to the datasheet.
https://pdos.csail.mit.edu/6.828/2005/reading … dware/8259A.pdf

See page 9.

Of course the datasheet isn't always right (learned that when bug fixing another emulator).

Reply 842 of 1046, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
NJRoadfan wrote:
Looks like it does......according to the datasheet. https://pdos.csail.mit.edu/6.828/2005/reading … dware/8259A.pdf […]
Show full quote

Looks like it does......according to the datasheet.
https://pdos.csail.mit.edu/6.828/2005/reading … dware/8259A.pdf

See page 9.

Of course the datasheet isn't always right (learned that when bug fixing another emulator).

It says the mask register is 'cleared'. But perhaps that means a value of 0x00 instead of 0xFF. That would also make the code work.
I guess it's easy enough to test that on real hardware by just reading the mask value after you write an ICW1.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 843 of 1046, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Uhm, sorry for posting here, but I've got a question about PCem. Hope it is okay..:
Is it possible with the current version of PCem to install DOS/V ? I can't get past the first few seconds of the the installation program.
When DOS asks for another diskette, and I do insert the right one, it refuses to use it.

Edit: Found the issue, it works now. ^^ Turned out DOS didn't ask for the startup disk, but wanted to create one.
Apparently, DOS/V refused to use a pre-formatted HDD image for its installation. Using a blank one worked.

Attachments

• dosv_install.gif
    Filename
    dosv_install.gif
    File size
    14.26 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by Jo22 on 2016-10-03, 06:29. Edited 1 time in total.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 845 of 1046, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, thanks dude! It's not the first time I had problems with images. Perhaps something is wrong with my disk images ?
I created them myself with WinImage. Same issue appeared with DOS Plus, for some reason I can't install it in PCem (though booting works).
It's just strange that they do work on my old computers. Perhaps these OSes do strange things with the hardware, dunno.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 847 of 1046, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So I've finally started looking into PC-Em. (Good job btw)

Can't find the list of questions I made the other day so I'll see if I can hunt that down.

Some I can remember:

Is it recommended to use a certain video card BIOS version? Reason I ask is that the romsets you can find usually have older BIOS so say if a bug report was posted should the video card bios version be posted?

Any issue with simplifying the HD image creation? Obviously just increase the cylinders but mabye hide the advanced options behind another dialog?

A wizard or default profiles preconfigured and organized by generations, years, etc

Show the Video and BIOS version in the GUI instead of opening the file or booting the machine (in those cases where it's visible).

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 848 of 1046, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I use the Phoenix S3 Trio 64 with the bios dump I did in that one parking space. Seems to work fine. ATI Mach64 is said to emulate the fastest and support the most video modes, IIRC

There are poor Stealth3D 2000 dumps that have adverse effects in PCem's Stealth3D 2000 emulation btw (leading to grayscale textmode and VGA) so at least for that card you'd have to be careful.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 851 of 1046, by ppgrainbow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SA1988 wrote:

If anyone wants SCSI emulation, just use 86Box.

Has Battler tried to add hard disk SCSI emulation to 86Box yet? This can be done somehow by porting some of the code from QEMU.

Until then, for SCSI hard disk and CD-ROM emulation, either use VMware Workstation Player, Qemu or VirtualBox. 😀

Reply 852 of 1046, by SA1988

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ppgrainbow wrote:
SA1988 wrote:

Has Battler tried to add hard disk SCSI emulation to 86Box yet? This can be done somehow by porting some of the code from QEMU.

Until then, for SCSI hard disk and CD-ROM emulation, either use VMware Workstation Player, Qemu or VirtualBox. 😀

Just only CD-ROMs.

Reply 853 of 1046, by ppgrainbow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SA1988 wrote:
ppgrainbow wrote:
SA1988 wrote:

Just only CD-ROMs.

Thank you for telling me! SCSI CD-ROMs are useful if you have two IDE hard disk images installed under 86Box and the BIOS only has one IDE channel. 😀

The problem with the AMI 286, AMI 386SX, AMI 386DX and AMI 486 BIOSes are that it didn't support hard disks larger than 504 MB. I'm wondering how this can be addressed though...

Reply 854 of 1046, by SA1988

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ppgrainbow wrote:

Thank you for telling me! SCSI CD-ROMs are useful if you have two IDE hard disk images installed under 86Box and the BIOS only has one IDE channel. 😀

The problem with the AMI 286, AMI 386SX, AMI 386DX and AMI 486 BIOSes are that it didn't support hard disks larger than 504 MB. I'm wondering how this can be addressed though...

there's no need to support over 504MB hard disks in those bioses, as that limit is imposed by the BIOS and cannot be circumvented.

Reply 855 of 1046, by ppgrainbow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SA1988 wrote:
ppgrainbow wrote:

there's no need to support over 504MB hard disks in those bioses, as that limit is imposed by the BIOS and cannot be circumvented.

That's what I've been thinking. That limit was overcome in the AMI WinBIOS when it introduced hard disks up to 7.88 GB, which is the maximum that PCem can support.

Reply 856 of 1046, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Outrage working in Pcem v11 with Windows 98SE in D3D (with minor graphics corruption).

I've been going through the non-working games on my compatibility list as well as the games I currently have to use VPC and vmware for. So far I've gotten far better results with pcem.

Attachments

• outragedemo.PNG
    Filename
    outragedemo.PNG
    File size
    1.73 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • outrageconfig.PNG
    Filename
    outrageconfig.PNG
    File size
    11.57 KiB
    Views
    File license

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 858 of 1046, by SarahWalker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

v12 is now out. Changes since v11 :

• New machines added - AMI 386DX, MR 386DX
  • New graphics cards - Plantronics ColorPlus, Wyse WY-700, Obsidian SB50, Voodoo 2
  • CPU optimisations - up to 50% speedup seen
  • 3DFX optimisations
  • Improved joystick emulation - analogue joystick up to 8 buttons, CH Flightstick Pro, ThrustMaster FCS, SideWinder pad(s)
  • Mouse can be selected between serial, PS/2, and IntelliMouse
  • Basic 286/386 prefetch emulation - 286 & 386 performance much closer to real systems
  • Improved CGA/PCjr/Tandy composite emulation
  • Various bug fixes

As ever, http://pcem-emulator.co.uk.