VOGONS

PCEm. Another PC emulator.

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 720 of 1046, by kazblox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sarah, if you can, please add a option (that can be manually enabled via configs) that mounts PCem floppy drives to a real floppy drive.

Lets say that I have a random DOS disk in my hand that I want to read/write directly in PCem via my USB floppy drive. Without the feature I mentioned above, this isn't possible.

Something like
disc_a_realdrive=1,W
disc_b_realdrive=1,E

W and E are drive letters that are assigned to the real floppy drives.

Reply 726 of 1046, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SA1988 wrote:
leileilol wrote:

That could be interesting. There really isn't much FOSS PC98 emulators out there 😀

The ones that I could only find are Qemu/9821 and Xnp2 for Windows.

MESS? Okay, well, that isn't technically FOSS.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 727 of 1046, by SA1988

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stiletto wrote:
SA1988 wrote:
leileilol wrote:

That could be interesting. There really isn't much FOSS PC98 emulators out there 😀

The ones that I could only find are Qemu/9821 and Xnp2 for Windows.

MESS? Okay, well, that isn't technically FOSS.

MESS has an even incomplete emulation of the PC-9801 driver and is not FOSS, so I exluded it

Reply 728 of 1046, by Mizuki221

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, i want to congratulate you on doing awesome job with PCem and being able to emulate so many different systems, so i was wondering if you would be able to emulate some early IBM aptiva models based on pentium processors? How much do you need to reverse engineer it?

Reply 731 of 1046, by Mizuki221

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It has different chipset AFAIK and different graphics. I will come with more info as soon as i do research.
EDIT: I have found something regarding IBM Apiva m30, see for yourself here.
Long story short, we need Trident 9680XGi emulation, along with MWave audio card emulation and dumped BIOS.

Reply 732 of 1046, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I need a little help. I'm used a lot of different emulators (and even administer a VMWare ESX cluster), but PCem is new to me. I'm trying to get an emulated XT 5160 up (I actually have a real 5160 that I'm more or less trying to clone).

I have BIOS images. I have floppy images. I created a virtual hard disk with the same HDD geometry as an original ST-412. Booting to floppy works fine. However, when I attempt to fdisk the HDD, I get "No fixed disks present."

Now, I know I must be doing something wrong, but I don't know what it is. Is there some trick to the virtual HDD image process I've skipped?

Reply 734 of 1046, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VileRancour wrote:

For an XT machine you might need to place a version of ide_xt.bin in the roms directory.

You were right. I was assuming incorrectly that PCem also emulated the XT Xebec MFM hard drive controller. Apparently it does not. Thanks for the tip! I'm up and booting now.

Reply 736 of 1046, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I couldn't get it past 2GB even on LBA auto and user forcing, so........ 2GB.

(though, my real ami winbios 486 can do 7gb)

I was able to get PCem to use 8gb for the Award 430VX however (8gb is the limit allowed by PCem), but that's 5th gen territory.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 737 of 1046, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is anyone else having trouble getting MS-DOS installed under PCem? Ever since I switched motherboards in my PC, PCem seems to have gotten into the habit of forgetting my hard drive/floppy settings whenever it reboots, making it impossible to install MS-DOS or partition a hard drive. What could be causing this?