VOGONS

PCEm. Another PC emulator.

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 84 of 1046, by Norton Commander

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Getting this emulator to run with no documentation is a tough nut to crack.

I've got several OSes running with VMWare/MSVPC/VirtualBox and have multiple configs for DOSBOX but can't figure out how to get 0.7 to work with EGA. Downloaded the various ROMs from the website, placed them in the ROMS subdirectory (even created separare subdirectories for each) but have no idea how to choose different video roms.

Is this strictly for devs (have to compile my own exe from source to work with different ROMS/BIOS)?

Reply 86 of 1046, by Norton Commander

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yea I kinda figured that out by myself - I can select EGA but this is what I get:

pcem.png

CGA works fine, haven't tried MDA/Herc, don't care since I never played anything other than VGA+ games.

Here's my config:

adlib = 1
gameblaster = 1
fast_disc = 0
model = 19
cpu_manufacturer = 0
cpu = 5
gfxcard = 3
video_speed = 2
sndcard = 7
cpu_speed = 2
has_fpu = 1
slow_video = 1
cache = 2
cga_composite = 0
disc_a =
disc_b =
mem_size = 2
cdrom_drive = 0
cdrom_enabled = 0
kb_win = 0
vid_resize = 1
hdc_sectors = 0
hdc_heads = 0
hdc_cylinders = 0
hdc_fn =
hdd_sectors = 0
hdd_heads = 0
hdd_cylinders = 0
hdd_fn =

Haven't even created an HD yet since I can't even get POST. My original question was how do I choose different video BIOS since you can't do that in settings? I downloaded the ones SarahWalker had on her website and I would like to know how do I use the Paradise or the ET4000 rom.

I don't know if it's even worth the effort since development has ceased on this emulator.

Reply 88 of 1046, by Norton Commander

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

Simple - place the rom in the roms folder, then go to the same Configure... dialog to use them.

Do I really have to explain every little thing that could also be found in the README?

You haven't explained anything. Zero. Squat. You definitely DID NOT try this yourself. Did you even read the readme file or are you confusing it with DOSBOX's? I'm going to type slowly so you can understand.

Contents of PCEm 0.7 README.TXT

The readme file contains:
- Changes
- Machines emulated and ROM files required (SYSTEM ROMS not VIDEO ROMS)
- Video displays emulated (no indication of ROMS required or how to select
between different video ROMS)
- Sound Devices emulated
- Other emulated peripherals
- Notes on emulation modes and software tested.
- That is all

Norton Commander wrote:

My original question was how do I choose different video BIOS since you can't do that in settings? I downloaded the ones SarahWalker had on her website and I would like to know how do I use the Paradise or the ET4000 rom.

I'm not asking how to use the SYSTEM ROMS, that's self explanatory, like selecting settings->config. I'm asking how to select VIDEO ROMS.

You probably aren't going to read this response but reply with the usual bot auto-reply advice like "try rebooting, try re-installing etc..". I will ignore your replies.

This emulator is a nice science experiment but will not be replacing DOSBOX for me anytime soon.

Reply 89 of 1046, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Norton Commander wrote:

You haven't explained anything. Zero. Squat. You definitely DID NOT try this yourself.

You probably aren't going to read this response but reply with the usual bot auto-reply advice like "try rebooting, try re-installing etc..". I will ignore your replies.

*toilet flush noise

Norton Commander wrote:

I'm not asking how to use the SYSTEM ROMS, that's self explanatory, like selecting settings->config. I'm asking how to select VIDEO ROMS.

You seriously couldn't figure this out? It's right there. The emulator's easy enough to use that I shouldn't even have to point this combobox out.

The website even tells you around the section you obtained those roms (and i'll make this big so you can read it)

Needed for SVGA emulation. Place in the roms directory.

Attachments

• pcemvideo.jpg
    Filename
    pcemvideo.jpg
    File size
    30.86 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    You're welcome.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 90 of 1046, by SarahWalker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I apologise for not responding to this earlier, but I currently have extremely limited internet access.

There is a bug with regards to EGA, in that the menu option is displayed even if the required ROM image (ibm_6277356_ega_card_u44_27128.bin) is not present. Once that file is present (as the website states, in the ROMS directory), EGA emulation should work fine. Though I think 99.9% of people will skip it and go straight for one of the SVGA cards instead.

Oh, and I know PCem won't replace DOSbox. It's not trying to.

Reply 91 of 1046, by AnnaWu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Sarah,

I´m not able to send you a email, getting "Message Delivery Failures".
Just tried your new version of the PCem 0.7 emulator.

Unfortunately, if I start the .exe I get a crash.
A pclog.txt file was created with following content:

CreateSurface back failed

The version 0.6 is working for me.

My OS: WinXP SP3 32-bit (German version)

PCem don´t like my screen resolution/colors Truecolor (32 bit) 1024x768
With Hicolor (16 bit) 1024x768 it is ok and I have not a crash!

My internal graphic card (Dell Latitude C840 Notebook) :
NVIDIA GeForce4 440 Go, 32MB RAM

Video mode: 1024x768, 32 bit, Refresh rate: 60 Hz
DirectX 9.0c (4.09.00.0904)

Anna Wu

My Playground for QMC2

Reply 95 of 1046, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SarahWalker wrote:

Looks like a blitter issue. Try turning down graphics acceleration in Windows (the emulated one).

No change. I would guess it's more of a CPU calculation issue. It also happens in safe mode.

Attachments

• dogz3.gif
    Filename
    dogz3.gif
    File size
    21.4 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Pretty sure this isn't called "Cthulhuz" XD
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 96 of 1046, by aritmet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I have question. Is possible in IBM PC or PC/XT emulation to change default 360k 5.25 FDD to 1.44M 3.5 floppy station? In IBM AT I changed it by using GSetup (?homemade? BIOS Setup utility from Vintage Computer forum), but it's only intended to 286/386 PC's.

Reply 98 of 1046, by SarahWalker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For those who are interested, I've started using https://bitbucket.org/pcem_emulator/pcem for PCem source control. The current source has some significant changes/improvements over v0.7. I am going to be able to continue working on it, contrary to my statements at the last release, but I have much less free time than I used to, so actual releases will probably be a tad infrequent.