VOGONS

PCEm. Another PC emulator.

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 862 of 1046, by Enverex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This was mentioned earlier in the thread but the answer given didn't make any sense so I'll ask again and hopefully get some clarification.

Where does PCEM look for the system "roms" on Linux? Programs aren't installed to their own folders on Linux so "in the pcem folder" wouldn't make sense. I'd expect something like "~/.pcem/roms" or maybe "~/.config/pcem/roms" but haven't found confirmation of this anywhere.

Reply 864 of 1046, by Enverex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm not sure how to better explain this, but it should be apparent to anyone that has used Linux. On Linux, programs are typically installed with their respective bits and pieces in the respective folders which are tracked by the package manager, e.g. the executables go into /usr/bin, libraries go into /usr/lib/(something), etc.

Anything user specific will be created at runtime in the user's home directory, normally under ~/.config/(programname)/ and anything not user specific normally goes in /usr/share/(program)/.

This is how programs are installed when you install them via a distro's package manager, e.g. Apt, Yum, Pacman, Emerge, etc. The rare exception being programs that aren't really well put together which typically just end up stuck in a folder in /opt.

If it really can't be installed properly (not via its own installer, but as you would normally install a Linux program) then I guess it's safe to assume it just needs to be stuffed somewhere like /opt?

Reply 867 of 1046, by damson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SarahWalker wrote:
  • Improved joystick emulation - analogue joystick up to 8 buttons, CH Flightstick Pro, ThrustMaster FCS, SideWinder pad(s)

NIce! Flight simmers rejoice, I will have to test Jane's F-15 on this new version.

My youtube channel - flight sims new and old

Reply 872 of 1046, by awgamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

People posting videos should use msi afterburner instead of fraps, it's vastly more informative and useful, showing FPS, CPU & GPU usage all at once instead of just FPS, shows where the bottleneck is as it plays.

Last edited by awgamer on 2017-03-03, 23:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 874 of 1046, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kolano wrote:

Does PCEm provide support for Mic / Line-in on it's emulated Soundblaster? I'm still trying to find a PC emulator that does, so I can run DOS eyecandy that uses audio input (Cthuga, Aestesis, etc.)

It's been 3 years since I last asked. Has there been any progress on supporting Mic/Line-in /w the Soundblaster emulation?

Eyecandy: Turn your computer into an expensive lava lamp.

Reply 878 of 1046, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

See this answer.

My 2 cents:
I don't see any benefit in it anyway since the CPU emulation will bottleneck the point of that. It's also not as easy to adapt register-level 3dfx emulation to hardware acceleration (and if any API that should do it that way, it's better off with Vulkan)

The 3dfx recompiler is already really freaking fast at the point where I don't have any desire for hardware accelerated 3dfx emulation either. It's better off that way for the sake of emulated timing anyhow. I actually do enjoy seeing the emulated framerate drop while the Voodoo chokes on blending functions, something no other 3dfx emulator/wrapper has done up to this point. timing is everything

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 879 of 1046, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Last year, I tried to run pcem v11 for windows in virtualbox (linux host, windows guest), and it crashed on launch. This was easily fixed in the pcem source by removing an initialization flag off a pixel buffer. The details escape me now, and in any case I don't know the implications of this fix for the program's operation in general. The linux version of pcem v11 wasn't optimal for usability, mainly for having no pre-built executable, so I think having pcem not crash in virtualbox on a windows guest would be a benefit for linux users. Are there plans to address this?

Maybe pcem v12 has addressed it - I don't/can't use virtualbox anymore and so can't test. But I notice that both v11 and v12 of windows pcem crash when attempting to run in wine on ubuntu 16.04, yet my buffer-fixed v11 executable does run in wine, suggesting that maybe these issues linger in v12.