PCEm. Another PC emulator.

Schedules and announcements about program releases.

Re: PCEm. Another PC emulator.

Postby vvbee » 2017-12-13 @ 01:31

The problem with the right alt not working with pcem in wine is to do with it getting mapped on this layout to iso_level3_shift instead of alt_r, which apparently is correct but pcem doesn't know to anticipate it. Mapping it manually with xmodmap to alt_r makes it work with pcem but breaks it elsewhere.

I sorted the linux version's compile errors, but the finished binary bails out saying it can't locate roms. The roms are there and work with the windows version, so sounds like a path/filename issue. No doubt I can get it to work with more time spent on it, but in general I think precompiled pcem binaries for linux should be a thing. Target and test for something popular like ubuntu where users don't want to build software from sources, and make messing with the compiler a fallback.
User avatar
vvbee
Member
 
Posts: 477
Joined: 2017-2-06 @ 17:56

Re: PCEm. Another PC emulator.

Postby leileilol » 2017-12-13 @ 01:50

Since V13's out now i'm making this old video about its AudioPCI emulation public:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiKxeCJ3BpE

The crackling's only apparent when OALSoft's used
Last edited by leileilol on 2017-12-13 @ 02:02, edited 1 time in total.
Voodoo2s aren't 100mhz stock
Geforce256 isn't released as a beta on New Years '99 under the Quadro brand
DOS gaming isn't a bilinear 320x200 16:10
DOS PCs aren't better than the Macintosh
DOSBox is not for running Windows 9x
SGL != Glide
User avatar
leileilol
l33t++
 
Posts: 9369
Joined: 2006-12-16 @ 18:03

Re: PCEm. Another PC emulator.

Postby gerwin » 2017-12-13 @ 02:01

leileilol wrote:Since V13's out now i'm making this old video about its AudioPCI emulation public:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiKxeCJ3BpE

Do you have to use the DOS Soundblaster/Soundscape emulation TSR for the AudioPCI work in DOS?
User avatar
gerwin
l33t
 
Posts: 2506
Joined: 2004-5-07 @ 19:21
Location: NL

Re: PCEm. Another PC emulator.

Postby leileilol » 2017-12-13 @ 02:02

Yes though i haven't tried any of the soundscape emulation stuff yet, i'm not certain if the drivers i've tried support that. I mostly tried the 2000-2002 creative drivers

There's even the bug with Epic's dos pcm-playing games that also shows the same difference using the later WDM driver.
Voodoo2s aren't 100mhz stock
Geforce256 isn't released as a beta on New Years '99 under the Quadro brand
DOS gaming isn't a bilinear 320x200 16:10
DOS PCs aren't better than the Macintosh
DOSBox is not for running Windows 9x
SGL != Glide
User avatar
leileilol
l33t++
 
Posts: 9369
Joined: 2006-12-16 @ 18:03

Re: PCEm. Another PC emulator.

Postby DOSfan1994 » 2017-12-13 @ 02:57

Where are the roms for v13?
DOSfan1994
Member
 
Posts: 188
Joined: 2012-9-03 @ 05:41

Re: PCEm. Another PC emulator.

Postby telanus » 2017-12-13 @ 03:46

DOSfan1994 wrote:Where are the roms for v13?

Gone
My Retro PC:
Spec: PII400 with 400MB, Riva128zx and C-Media soundcard
OS: Win 98SE
Main:
Spec: Dual-Core 2.60, GeForce GT 240 3Gb Ram & Creative Audigy
OS: Win XP Pro (SP3)
User avatar
telanus
Newbie
 
Posts: 83
Joined: 2007-10-03 @ 14:20

Re: PCEm. Another PC emulator.

Postby DOSfan1994 » 2017-12-13 @ 06:28

telanus wrote:
DOSfan1994 wrote:Where are the roms for v13?

Gone

Why are they gone?
DOSfan1994
Member
 
Posts: 188
Joined: 2012-9-03 @ 05:41

Re: PCEm. Another PC emulator.

Postby Zup » 2017-12-13 @ 07:04

AFAIK, no emulators risk to include copyrighted ROMs (or at least ROMs they haven't secured permission to distribute). Official versions of PCem only included MDA.ROM and xt-ide ones.

PCem 13 doesn't seem to include xt-ide (I don't know if it's still needed, because RLL disks are supported now) and there is a new zip file to download because MDA.ROM was not included in the first zip released. Every other ROM is not included, so you'll need to get it from your own computers or get it from elsewhere.

BTW, it you had a working earlier PCem, you can copy the ROMs from there.
I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!
User avatar
Zup
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1145
Joined: 2003-10-04 @ 12:16

Re: PCEm. Another PC emulator.

Postby DOSfan1994 » 2017-12-13 @ 07:06

Zup wrote:AFAIK, no emulators risk to include copyrighted ROMs (or at least ROMs they haven't secured permission to distribute). Official versions of PCem only included MDA.ROM and xt-ide ones.

PCem 13 doesn't seem to include xt-ide (I don't know if it's still needed, because RLL disks are supported now) and there is a new zip file to download because MDA.ROM was not included in the first zip released. Every other ROM is not included, so you'll need to get it from your own computers or get it from elsewhere.

BTW, it you had a working earlier PCem, you can copy the ROMs from there.

Ok I'm still waiting for another version to emulate a ATi Rage pro.
DOSfan1994
Member
 
Posts: 188
Joined: 2012-9-03 @ 05:41

Re: PCEm. Another PC emulator.

Postby vvbee » 2017-12-13 @ 08:34

Looked into why pcem linux wasn't finding roms. Seems it's because it wants them primarily in ~/.pcem. I'm annoyed when programs do this. I want them to run in the folder I put them in, not create duplicate hidden folders in my home directory and get upset when I don't put files there.

The code seems to use get_pcem_path() to get the program's directory. For the windows version it returns the directory the program was run, but for the linux version it returns the user's home dir. Is there a reason for this? For now, I changed the linux version to use wx's getcwd for the current working directory, and also commented out a call to add_config_callback() in paths_init() to seemingly prevent pcem from looking for paths in the cfg file. get_pcem_path() ignores the buffer size, by the way.
User avatar
vvbee
Member
 
Posts: 477
Joined: 2017-2-06 @ 17:56

Re: PCEm. Another PC emulator.

Postby DOSfan1994 » 2017-12-13 @ 08:43

Zup wrote:AFAIK, no emulators risk to include copyrighted ROMs (or at least ROMs they haven't secured permission to distribute). Official versions of PCem only included MDA.ROM and xt-ide ones.

PCem 13 doesn't seem to include xt-ide (I don't know if it's still needed, because RLL disks are supported now) and there is a new zip file to download because MDA.ROM was not included in the first zip released. Every other ROM is not included, so you'll need to get it from your own computers or get it from elsewhere.

BTW, it you had a working earlier PCem, you can copy the ROMs from there.

How am I going to make the roms from my real hardware?
DOSfan1994
Member
 
Posts: 188
Joined: 2012-9-03 @ 05:41

Re: PCEm. Another PC emulator.

Postby jesolo » 2017-12-13 @ 08:58

DOSfan1994 wrote:How am I going to make the roms from my real hardware?

You basically need an EEPROM reader to read the contents of the BIOS ROM chip.
On most 286 and higher CPU's, you can try a utility called Navrátil System Information (NSSI 0.60).
This utility has the option to read and save the BIOS ROM contents of the motherboard BIOS and also the video card's BIOS.
However, as alluded to in previous posts, you can find these online (if you know where to look).
PCem will also tell you (refer to each subfolder) what the name of the ROM is that it will look for.
User avatar
jesolo
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1448
Joined: 2014-6-24 @ 19:04
Location: South Africa

Re: PCEm. Another PC emulator.

Postby DOSfan1994 » 2017-12-13 @ 09:26

jesolo wrote:
DOSfan1994 wrote:How am I going to make the roms from my real hardware?

You basically need an EEPROM reader to read the contents of the BIOS ROM chip.
On most 286 and higher CPU's, you can try a utility called Navrátil System Information (NSSI 0.60).
This utility has the option to read and save the BIOS ROM contents of the motherboard BIOS and also the video card's BIOS.
However, as alluded to in previous posts, you can find these online (if you know where to look).
PCem will also tell you (refer to each subfolder) what the name of the ROM is that it will look for.


How easy is it? How will I make my rom file and how will it work? How do I get the Natratile system information ?
I bet I can make a ATi Rage pro rom with those.
DOSfan1994
Member
 
Posts: 188
Joined: 2012-9-03 @ 05:41

Re: PCEm. Another PC emulator.

Postby jesolo » 2017-12-13 @ 12:05

DOSfan1994 wrote:
jesolo wrote:
DOSfan1994 wrote:How am I going to make the roms from my real hardware?

You basically need an EEPROM reader to read the contents of the BIOS ROM chip.
On most 286 and higher CPU's, you can try a utility called Navrátil System Information (NSSI 0.60).
This utility has the option to read and save the BIOS ROM contents of the motherboard BIOS and also the video card's BIOS.
However, as alluded to in previous posts, you can find these online (if you know where to look).
PCem will also tell you (refer to each subfolder) what the name of the ROM is that it will look for.


How easy is it? How will I make my rom file and how will it work? How do I get the Natratile system information ?
I bet I can make a ATi Rage pro rom with those.

Depends on whether you want to use an EEPROM reader or the NSSI utility.
With an EEPROM reader you need to physically remove the BIOS chip(s) from your motherboard and then insert it into the EEPROM reader.
You can then save the contents to a file.

NSSI makes the process considerably easier, since you don't need to physically remove the BIOS chip.
NSSI can be obtained from their website (http://www.navsoft.cz/products.htm).
This is essentially a DOS based utility and you can extract your BIOS contents by going under the "Tools" menu.
The file is normally saved (with the extension "*.BIO".) in the same folder where the NSSI program files are located.
You then just rename that BIOS file to the name that PCem would expect and place it in the appropriate PCem subfolder.

I suggest that you rather go onto the PCem website and asks PCem specific questions on that forum (most of your questions would already have been answered there): https://pcem-emulator.co.uk/
User avatar
jesolo
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1448
Joined: 2014-6-24 @ 19:04
Location: South Africa

Re: PCEm. Another PC emulator.

Postby DOSfan1994 » 2017-12-13 @ 17:03

Sorry to say this Jesolo, but you see I got banned from there about a year ago.
Because I was asking too much questions about if Voodoo 2 is GDI compatible. Because there was this old LEGO pc game called "Lego creator" I would like to play how it originally was played on. I wanted to get like better framerates by using the voodoo 2 (with the SLI) but when PCem v12 was released I tried it with a Mach 64x and a voodoo 2 on windows 95 and it did not use the voodoo 2 card it still stayed on software. After that I felt guilty and realized the truth that Leileilol was right, I'd wished I believed him more and Sarahwalker too. Now I have to wait until PCem emulates an ATi rage pro or a Savage 4 3d card to get better GDI frame rates so I can put in a whole lot a models in my world.
DOSfan1994
Member
 
Posts: 188
Joined: 2012-9-03 @ 05:41

Re: PCEm. Another PC emulator.

Postby SarahWalker » 2017-12-13 @ 18:19

vvbee wrote:Looked into why pcem linux wasn't finding roms. Seems it's because it wants them primarily in ~/.pcem. I'm annoyed when programs do this. I want them to run in the folder I put them in, not create duplicate hidden folders in my home directory and get upset when I don't put files there.

The code seems to use get_pcem_path() to get the program's directory. For the windows version it returns the directory the program was run, but for the linux version it returns the user's home dir. Is there a reason for this?

Because numerous Linux users were asking for it. I guess you can't please everyone...
User avatar
SarahWalker
Member
 
Posts: 239
Joined: 2007-8-19 @ 10:51

Re: PCEm. Another PC emulator.

Postby vvbee » 2017-12-13 @ 19:13

You can't. As you say, majority opinion tends to get features in, so it's expected that people will voice their preferences. In this case it appears straightforward to overturn the majority by editing the code, so it doesn't matter so much.

I looked at the linux version's launcher gui, and specifically in relation to config file names. If you use the gui to rename a machine to have a . in the name, then run it, pcem duplicates the config, replaces its contents with defaults and cuts the file name at the .. If the machine name starts with a ., pcem can't find its config file. If the machine name is long enough, the gui's list box is resized to overlap/hide the 'load' and 'configure' buttons without the window getting resized to fit, or a scroll bar appearing. This could be specific to my distro, ubuntu mate 16.04 with marco/no compositor. If the machine name has certain special characters like one of §öä£, the gui's machine list shows an unnamed item that'll run a default config. If you rename an existing machine in the gui to have one those characters, the config's filename gets cut to just '.cfg'.
User avatar
vvbee
Member
 
Posts: 477
Joined: 2017-2-06 @ 17:56

Re: PCEm. Another PC emulator.

Postby leileilol » 2017-12-13 @ 23:38

Could be worse. I'd predict Debian Free Software Group would freak out if it doesn't run without a copyrighted rom and would order (not ask) to support the Bochs roms and include them and some tiny linux hard drive image.
Voodoo2s aren't 100mhz stock
Geforce256 isn't released as a beta on New Years '99 under the Quadro brand
DOS gaming isn't a bilinear 320x200 16:10
DOS PCs aren't better than the Macintosh
DOSBox is not for running Windows 9x
SGL != Glide
User avatar
leileilol
l33t++
 
Posts: 9369
Joined: 2006-12-16 @ 18:03

Re: PCEm. Another PC emulator.

Postby leileilol » 2017-12-14 @ 01:33

While I can't edit my post atm I'd also like to point out my personal git repsoitory for some crt shaders to use with PCem's OpenGL3 backend:

https://github.com/leilei-/someshaders

Most of it are just presets on crt-easymode-halation though i've modified that crt shader to have some additional tweaks to make it more monitory.
Voodoo2s aren't 100mhz stock
Geforce256 isn't released as a beta on New Years '99 under the Quadro brand
DOS gaming isn't a bilinear 320x200 16:10
DOS PCs aren't better than the Macintosh
DOSBox is not for running Windows 9x
SGL != Glide
User avatar
leileilol
l33t++
 
Posts: 9369
Joined: 2006-12-16 @ 18:03

Re: PCEm. Another PC emulator.

Postby vvbee » 2017-12-14 @ 04:47

I think v13 is a notable forward step for pcem on linux and otherwise. Roms are an issue technically, but I'd pay equal attention to the user experience side of it. V14 can benefit notably from ux oriented people stepping up to contribute.
User avatar
vvbee
Member
 
Posts: 477
Joined: 2017-2-06 @ 17:56

PreviousNext

Return to Release Announcements

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests