VOGONS

First post, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://www.ea.com/redalert/news-detail.jsp?id=62

Today, August 31st, 2008 marks the 13th anniversary of the storied Command & Conquer franchise, which has sold over 25 million copies to date. And to celebrate this milestone and this October's highly anticipated return to the world of Red Alert with Red Alert 3, we are giving away one of the original games that started it all, Command & Conquer Red Alert, for FREE.

And because we are also offering Red Alert 2 for free for those who pre-order Red Alert 3 before October 27th, C&C fans...YOU can walk away with Red Alert, Red Alert 2 and Red Alert 3 - all for the price of Red Alert 3 ($49.99 standard edition, $64.99 Premier Edition).

It appears to be the original version so the usual tricks will have to be done to get it to work on 2000/XP/Vista.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 1 of 7, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I have been playing around with C&C: RA today. With a few tweaks, it installs and appears to run pretty well in DOSBox. I am attaching the config-file I use. As usual, you will have to adjust the mount points used.

Edit: 2008-09-01 - New version of the configuration file.

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox.conf
    File size
    5.29 KiB
    Downloads
    790 downloads
    File comment
    DOSBox 0.72 configuration file for Command & Conquer: Red Alert
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 7, by olemogamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I downloaded and un-zipped the iso's from EA's website. Each iso came with a patch for XP in it's folder. Has anyone tried these patches yet on XP? I really won't have time to install this game until the weekend to find out myself.

Reply 3 of 7, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

olemogamer - if you look at the config file I provide, you will see that it automatically applies the 108PE patch. But I have only tested it in DOSBox, I have not tried running the game directly in Windows XP.

Reply 5 of 7, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DosFreak wrote:

It appears to be the original version

Nope, it's the 1999 EA Classics re-release.
Oddly the re-release version has no IPX support and has troubles with XP out of the box whereas the original 1996 Virgin release has no issues in XP. I'm speaking from the Win32 executables of course.

The re-release's dos version can't seem to run under DOSBox, at least for me 🙁 I know the 1996 Virgin release did.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I still need to go through my C&C Windows games and see if I can get them working on 2000+. I still have them on my compatibility as only playable under QEMU!

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 7, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

leileilol - see if the config I provided above will help you. It worked for me.