VOGONS

First post, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

From the filenetworks blog (not going to link to it for obvious reasons)

Highly anticipated standalone expansion pack for last year's Crysis, titled 'Crysis Warhead' will be released on the 12th in Europe and 16th in the US. Speaking of the game, this will not be a sequel to Crysis and will not be the second part of the planned Crysis trilogy. Instead, Crysis Warhead will feature the same story of Crysis, seen through the eyes of a different Crysis member (Psycho).

I was curious to know as to what protection this game would implement, it being an EA games release. EA's recent releases have been bundled with online activated SecuROM, something that has challenged scene groups for quite a while. It looks like EA are shipping Warhead with the same protection. Check this DVD cover and look closely at what's written in third paragraph (bottom). A zoomed up version is displayed below:

and also this Amazon post:

http://www.amazon.com/DOES-Crysis-Warhead-DES … asin=B000FKBCX4

Attachments

• lakiiaabh.jpg
    Filename
    lakiiaabh.jpg
    File size
    141.75 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by DosFreak on 2008-09-18, 14:21. Edited 1 time in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 1 of 12, by olemogamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

EA is so big that their big name releases are guaranteed big sales numbers. So they really don't care what their customers want. But I haven't and won't ever buy a game that limits my installations. And there are plenty of other people who feel the same way. Sooner or later this is going to bite EA on the ass, and I hope I'm a part of it. 😈

Reply 3 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Noticed this today from the above thread:

http://storefront.steampowered.com/eula_testa … 00/english.html

6. Term and Termination […]
Show full quote

6. Term and Termination

The term of this Agreement and the license granted herein begin on the date on which you first download, install, load or otherwise use CRYSIS and shall expire, without notice to you or any other notice, when CRYSIS is removed from the market.

Licensor may revoke or terminate this License at any time, for any reason or no reason, in its sole discretion. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary herein this Agreement and the License granted to you herein shall immediately terminate, without the requirement of any notice from CRYTEK to Licensee, upon Licensee's failure to comply with or breach of any term or provision of this Agreement.

Upon the termination or expiration of this Agreement, any and all rights of Licensee hereunder shall terminate without prejudice to any rights or claims Licensee shall have no right to use CRYSIS in any manner. Licensee shall immediately destroy all copies of CRYSIS in its possession, custody or control, and all rights granted hereunder shall revert, without notice, to and be vested in CRYTEK.

Termination or expiration of this Agreement shall not create any liability against CRYTEK and shall not relieve Licensee from any liability which arises prior to termination or expiration.

Nice.

Reply 4 of 12, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Licensor may revoke or terminate this License at any time, for any reason or no reason, in its sole discretion.

There is only one fitting response to this, and that is 2 words beginning with F and U.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 5 of 12, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MiniMax wrote:

Licensor may revoke or terminate this License at any time, for any reason or no reason, in its sole discretion.

There is only one fitting response to this, and that is 2 words beginning with F and U.

Quoted for truth, I will probably use some time. When I need to be diplomatic and strong in my words at the same time. Thank you MiniMax for that 😀

Reply 6 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,660468/Rev … about_the_game/

According to the system requirements Warhead needs more than 10 GiByte free space on the hard drive, but if you stick to a single language, only 5.5 GiByte are necessary. In addition to the product key, an online registration is required. Warhead can be activated up to three times. After that you will have to call Electronic Arts. If the publisher made the right choice here, remains, in the face of the stir caused by the Spore DRM, to be seen. After the installation one might notice, that Warhead has a DX10 mode (on Vista) , but no 64 Bit exe file.

Not sure if the STEAM version has the same requirement or not.

No 64bit executable??!! FAIL

Reply 7 of 12, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DosFreak wrote:

No 64bit executable??!! FAIL

Yeah that ticked me off when Crysis came out. I hate it when developers don't want to support the REAL next generation of hardware suitable for their so-called nextgen games. Gotta limit to the 32-bit platform only for slowness = more profit for their graphics card sponsors.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 8 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well STEAM lovers looks like Crysis WarHead (dunno about Crysis although the below quote seems to say that it does) uses SECUROM and requires authorization with EA's servers as well as STEAM's servers:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthr … t=726448&page=3
http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B001ATHK … howViewpoints=1

A staff member has replied to your question: […]
Show full quote

A staff member has replied to your question:

Hello Zhou Yu,

Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

The Crysis series uses Securom. Securom does not limit reinstalls but rather the number of computers that the CD Key may be activated on at a time.

Rumor is that Punkbuster is why the 64bit ver wasn't released:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthr … t=726388&page=2

Why would stop them from shipping a 64bit executable with the game when the original Crysis had it......

Reply 10 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Crysis WarHead Copy Protection FAQ

http://www.crymod.com/thread.php?threadid=36974

Don't bother to read the rest of the thread, you'll end up feeling sick to your stomach. 😢

Reply 11 of 12, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lightmaster wrote:

I hate ea's unskippables intros with my whole spirit 😒//

You could skip EA's intro to American McGee's Alice with a "+forcemenu main" option. I don't know if this will work with any other EA games.

Reply 12 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

CNET not going to use WARHEAD for testing:

http://news.cnet.com/drm-rules-out-crysis-war … for-pc-testing/

Spore isn't the only new PC game from Electronic Arts to come with a frustrating DRM scheme. Crysis: Warhead, the follow-up to last year's Crysis, has a similar five-install limit. We know PC gamers hate DRM, and you've certainly not been shy about making your complaints known. As gamers ourselves, we share your outrage. We're also feeling the pain as reviewers.

We've negotiated frustrating Windows DRM in the past, but our PC testing efforts have never been thwarted by an individual gaming title. Our problem is that in order to use an application as a system test, we need to install it on every PC that comes through CNET Labs. As much as we'd like to stay current and adopt a Crysis: Warhead benchmark, we can't take the chance that on the sixth, twelfth, or eighteenth system some random EA customer service rep will deny our reactivation request.

After the job the original Crysis did on even high-end gaming PCs, it didn't surprise us when we heard from PC vendors requesting that we adopt the supposedly optimized, more forgiving Crysis: Warhead as a high-end gaming test. We've also heard from EA that it recognizes the problem for testers and that a solution could be forthcoming. In the meantime, we'll be scouting for other new games that aren't quite as high maintenance. Far Cry 2, we're looking at you.