VOGONS

dgVoodoo 1 announcement thread

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 180 of 206, by CraigG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can confirm that the Screamer games crash only when using sound via VDMSound, but in WinME using naitive SB Sound rather than emulation, it works a treat. No sound, works well in XP, and very fast.
Screamer 2, works a treat in WinME. But in XP, it's the dreaded "Insert CD" problem.
Ignition, works well in DgVoodoo upto version 1.20. After that, Ignition shows those rainbow coloured textures.
Outlaws, works superb, and only this well with DgVoodoo. Infact, I'd say it's perfect, as I've got roughly half-way through the game without a single hitch.
Blood 2, and Shadow Warrior, I get a complete mess of everything on screen. Plus, it's all a sort of rainbow coloured effect, as well.
Croc, works superbly. Very fast, and no corruption on textures, etc..
Swiv3D, only works well in WinME. In XP, I get a Procedure Entry Point, problem.
MDK, works well, but has a sort of widescreen effect going on. This doesn't happen in Openglide, so it's definately DgVoodoo.
ManxTT, only works in WinME, where it works very well indeed. In XP, I get an Application Error.

VirtuaIceMan, I don't suppose you would be willing to share that hacked German .exe, you have, for Dethkarz ? I bought the game a while back, but could never get it to do anything in WinXP. Strangely, the demo works.

EDIT: Found Dethkarz exe, and it now works. Just to add that, it works much much better in D3D mode, than it does in Glide mode. You get a much better selection of resolutions/bit depths, and at 1280x960 with everything on in Dethkarz, and 6xAA 8xAF, it looks pretty darn good.

Athlon 64 3000+ stock
MSI NForce 4 K8N Neo Platinum
2Gb RAM
nVidia Geforce 6800GT stock clocks
SBLive! Platinum + Audigy ZS2 Drivers
WinXP Pro SP2

Reply 181 of 206, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Using VDMSound the Screamer games seem to work fine in XP as long as you set the soundcard in their setup to None or original Sound Blaster mono. Above that they crash a lot at the same place. HOWEVER, use dgVoodoo and they become much more stable, so much so you can run SB16 Stereo in S2/SRally (reduce the amount of CPU time VDMSound uses in it's setup to boost the framerate of the games).

To beat the Insert CD-ROM message you need to use sapucdex. Either simply add a line saying "sapucdex" (without the quotes) into VDMSounds extra command lines text box OR start a Command window (in XP you can go Start->Run->and type in "cmd" (without the quotes) then at the DOS prompt type "sapucdex" (without the quotes) then go into the game directory and type the appropriate exe name.

On Win9x/ME the games should be more reliable as those operating systems still tend to have proper DOS soundcard/CD-ROM drivers!

Regarding Dethkarz (and getting other old Windows games to work), check my thread here: A LOT of WindowsXP fixes...

Ice

Reply 182 of 206, by Vigilante58

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, this is my first post here and I would like to say that I find dgVoodoo a great program! I also bought glidos recently, but I gotta say that I find dgVoodoo working better.

For carmageddon, I can give you the following feedback: It's running fine. The only glitch that I'm experiencing is the skid marks, which are showing purple/pink-like colors sometimes instead of being completely black. I tried almost every single option and I was hoping this can be fixed.

Also, earlier in this thread I read that someone though that Fatal Racing/Whiplash is only compatible with voodoo cards of a certain brand. I don't think this is true. I really hope the dgVoodoo author can get this game working too 😀

Reply 183 of 206, by Vigilante58

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I uploaded a pic that's clearly showing the issue... I have to correct my previous post by saying that the skid marks are not purple of pink, but blue.

The pic shows that there are a couple of tracks that are looking like they should, and 1 track that doesn't seem to be rendered properly.

Here's the link to the pic: HERE

Reply 184 of 206, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Vigilante58 wrote:

Also, earlier in this thread I read that someone though that Fatal Racing/Whiplash is only compatible with voodoo cards of a certain brand. I don't think this is true. I really hope the dgVoodoo author can get this game working too 😀

I have Fatal Racing 3Dfx but it only works on the old Orchid Righteous 3D Voodoo1 card (as it's on the driver CD-ROM for that card). It wouldn't work on Voodoo3 or Voodoo5. I believe it doesn't use Glide but makes direct hardware-level calls to the graphics card. Whether it works on other Voodoo1 cards I do not know but I do think it's a lost cause!

Also, it's not as good as the original! It runs in widescreen and all of the on-screen displays have been replaced with text (as they probably weren't able to easily draw 2D objects on top of the 3D, a common problem with older Glide games (which is why there are no cockpits in NFS2SE Glide!)).

Ice

Reply 185 of 206, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi Vigilante!
I'm glad this wrapper works well for you and you like it! 😎 Also, thanks for your feedback.
I have good news about those glitches: yesterday I realized that there is an undocumented and obsolete so-called delta0 mode in glide. I implemented it, and it fixed the line color bug in TR1 UB (health bar has becomed visible), messed up and randomly colored polygons in Carmageddon 2 (demo) (now it looks perfect) and the blue/purple/green colored skid marks in Carmageddon 1 (I was testing it for a while but they always looked grey). 😀
As for Fatal Racing: I'm afraid Ice is right, I have this game from Craig, but looking into the 3dfx patch, I can only say, unfortunately it's really just a 3dfx patch and not a glide patch, meaning there is a glide2x.ovl driver linked statically into the exe, ending up in that FR controls the 3Dfx card in hardware level. So, dgVoodoo cannot help there 🙁 , it cannot emulate a voodoo card in hardware level, it just implements the glide library.
However, I don't know if there was a real glide patch ever released for FR.

Reply 187 of 206, by Vigilante58

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have done some more testing with Carmageddon:

- When force bilinear filtering is enabled, the external cockpit window of the Yellow Hawk wasn't shiny (haven't tried with the Red Eagle).

- Camera overlay on the top left is not completely visible when using cockpit view.

- I'm also experiencing random crashes. It doesn't happen very often though, just once in a while. I don't know if this is dgVoodoo-related (might give the log version a try).

Hope this helps ya 😀

I'm also wondering if it would be possible to implent trilinear filtering? 😎

Reply 188 of 206, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

- When force bilinear filtering is enabled, the external cockpit window of the Yellow Hawk wasn't shiny (haven't tried with the Red Eagle).

- Camera overlay on the top left is not completely visible when using cockpit view.

OK, I'll have a look at and fix them. I want to fix as many bugs as possible in the next version.

- I'm also experiencing random crashes. It doesn't happen very often though, just once in a while. I don't know if this is dgVoodoo-related (might give the log version a try).

I hope it isn't. 🙄 Tip: if an exception occurs in dgvoodoo's code, then you should see listed in what function it occured. If the code of the game itself crashes, then nothing is logged about it (altough it doesn't mean that dgvoodoo couldn't have nothing to do with that crash 😖 ).

I'm also wondering if it would be possible to implent trilinear filtering?

Well, I planned to make the wrapper capable to generate the missing texture mipmaps (if a game only uses one-level mipmap) but I haven't had time for this. I will do it once but not likely in the next version.
On the other hand, if a game uses multilevel mipmaps, they are always filtered trilinearly because the hidden "force trilinear mipmapping" option is enabled by default from 1.23.

Reply 189 of 206, by chrisis123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi All!
This is my first Post, and I'd like to tell you all that I am nearly sucsessfull with running Schleichfahrt (Archimedean Dynasty) under Win XP. How? I used a weird combination of NOLFB and VDMSound. Mouse2KV is not absolutely necessary (it runs without that too), but it can help speeding up the mouse cursor. DGVOODO 1.23 is running in VBE Mode, Server Mode doesn't work (that's the reason, why it doesn't work under win98, where no NOLFB would not be needed).

Well I said only NEARLY sucsessfull, because I can run only SOME of the fights (for example the one of the Training-Missions that is called "Panzerschlacht" in German, don't know the english name), also some of the in-game Missions from a saved game, but most missions simply bring me back to the Windows Desktop shortly after the Mission Briefing - without further notice. However, those figths that run, run absolutely perfect and flawless. What could be the reason for some (and always the same! it's not random) missions to work, and some don't?

It would really be cool if I could run the 3DFX Version of the game again, and if only because of the bilinear Filtering...

By the way: The non-3DFX Version doesn't have any of these Problems (but NOLFB is still needed), so it probably has something to do with DGVOODOO!

cu,
christian

Reply 190 of 206, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi Chris, I have only the demo of Archimedean D, which formerly I tried to get work with dgVoodoo with the same experience you described. There were "scenes" where it worked and there were ones where it didn't. I noticed that AD crashes due to a dividing by zero exception. At that time I debugged heavily into its code and found the instruction that causes the exception, but wasn't able to discover the real reason (so that, from where it gets that zero). I can only suspect it has something to do with VESA. Don't forget, while glide is active, dgVoodoo takes over the original VESA interface with an own fake one. I tried to improve the fake one according to my guessings but that didn't helped. I haven't given up to make it work once, I just suspend this challenge. 😀

DGVOODO 1.23 is running in VBE Mode, Server Mode doesn't work

Do you mean VDD mode? Server mode doesn't work at all? I must check this out.

Carmageddon:

I'm not sure but should that be shiny at all? I always get a solid grey window.

Yes, I remember. Carmageddon locks the color buffer in a very arrogant way. It not only swaps the buffers between lock-unlock but even draws primitives by the hardware into that locked buffer. 😵 That was nice to handle. Carm keeps the buffer locked while it renders into it, and dgVoodoo flushes the direct lfb writes only when the buffer gets unlocked. So it locks the lfb, draws the environment (buildings, etc), then draws the cockpit with direct writes, then it draws the "portrait" of the driver by 3d hardware again. So, this portrait is behind the cockpit because the cockpit gets flushed out to the screen last. The real solution in a such situation would be to flush out the direct lfb writes every time the application draws a primitive (but how would we know whether there is or there isn't something to flush. If we flushed at every triangle, that would be very time consuming). I tried it, the appearance was correct, but the game obviously slowed down. I'm afraid this is a glitch that can never be fixed. 🙁

Reply 192 of 206, by Vigilante58

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok I wasn't completely sure about the shiny window. Might as well be standard with the yellow hawk 😀 And it's alright if you can't get the camera overlay right, as long as I can race with the fixed skid marks I'll be very happy 😁

Reply 193 of 206, by chrisis123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Dege,
Ok, it's not totally true that server-mode (so with dgvoodoo.exe) doesn't work at all with AD, but in this case all colors are messed up at the briefing screen and the in-text messages aren't visibile.
Under Win98 (where I tried it out earlyer) you can run the missions that work in XP too only once (the others still not at all), if you try to run it a second time, the whole screen gets black and nothing works anymore. Probably, since the game runs different executables during the game, dgvoodoo looses focus there or something like that.
But good to know anyway, that you already looked into this great game and did have the same experiences, so we all can still hope to see it in the future running 😉
bye,
christian

PS: Unfortunately I have no Internet at home where I have AD so I have to remember, what I saw at home and describe that on rather different computers... a little bit arduously!

Reply 195 of 206, by Vigilante58

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm having a problem: Everytime I try to run dgVoodoo now, the pc reboots 😖

This most likely has something to do with the latest ATI Catalyst drivers that I'm using. Maybe someone can verify this?

I'll try installing an older driver today and see if the pc won't reboot anymore then.

ps. could you please give us an estimation on when the next version will come? 😉

Reply 196 of 206, by Banquo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am using the latest Catalyst driver (4.7) on XP and haven't had any problems with it. Is it doing this on a particular game, or all of them?

It sounds like something is causing the system to crash. In Windows XP (and possibly 2000) the system is configured to automatically reboot instead of showing a blue screen or giving you any useful information. I always thought this was a stupid feature myself. You can turn it off though; right click My Computer, Properties, Advanced tab, and in the Startup and Recovery section click the settings button. Now uncheck "Automatically Restart" and click OK. Now this won't stop it from crashing but it should show you an error at least and maybe help identify the problem. You also can check the event viewer and possibly find the cause.

Reply 197 of 206, by Vigilante58

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've only tried it with Carmageddon. When I enable the VDD mode, the pc reboots when it tries to load the vdd dll when starting the game. When I disable VDD in the dgVoodoo setup, it just closes.

I went back to catalyst 4.6 now and everything's working fine again, so I'm sure the catalyst 4.7 drivers are the cause of my problem.

I also tried disabling the reboot in winxp (thanks for pointing that out), but then it gives me a blue screen when I run the game on 4.7.

I hope Dege can fix this problem 😊

Reply 198 of 206, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

1.30 is out.

I've tried a lot of demos from the list that Ice created, and I did a lot of fixes.
However, there still are known issues, that aren't really bugs but unsupported features, e.g. one of the above games tries to lock the depth buffer to init certain areas of it, uses "compare to bias" mode (which is implemented, altough I'm not sure if it works properly with w-buffers), and so on.
On the other hand, there are games that I didn't find a demo for (Ignition, Nascar, Boss Rally, etc.)
I wanted to include more things in this version but simply have no more time now. 🙁

Vigilante, try the logger version. Tough exception occures in kernel mode if blue screen pops up (or computer resets), but if the error is due to dgVoodoo at init, maybe we could see where it is. Maybe. Also, windows writes out the name of the erroneous module at blue screen, what is it?
If you could read it we could see if it has something to do with video drivers or something else.

Oh, I almost forgot: Targaff: Yes, I'm interested in that Archimedean D cd, but I can't promise I will have enough time to deal with it. 🙁

Reply 199 of 206, by CraigG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice one, Dege.
Your wrapper gets better and better.

I'll do a lot of testing, later on.

I hope Dege can fix this problem

How can that be Dege's problem, when it's clearly ATI's Catalyst thats at fault ?

And for what it's worth, the 4.7 beta drivers I'm using, haven't caused a single problem with dgvoodoo, so I would start to look at your own PC.

Athlon 64 3000+ stock
MSI NForce 4 K8N Neo Platinum
2Gb RAM
nVidia Geforce 6800GT stock clocks
SBLive! Platinum + Audigy ZS2 Drivers
WinXP Pro SP2