VOGONS

Reply 20 of 33, by JP_Russell

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There's a part here in the install instructions I'm not entirely sure about.

"...type this line in at the command prompt: mount c c:\dosgames -freesize 1000."

Now, I already have my DOSBox folder mounted in my config's autoexec, but I don't have the -freesize extension on it. Anybody know what that is, and what its importance is?

Reply 22 of 33, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

As default DOSBox will give you a virtual hard-drive with around 260 MB disk space. The -freesize parameter increases that. And Daggerfall needs a lot of space.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 23 of 33, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yep, the -freesize parameter is needed because the default amount of space that DOSBox reports as being available on the virtual C:\ drive is small enough that Daggerfall's installer will freak out about not having enough space available.

Reply 24 of 33, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

and the explanation is in the super magical strangely named README file that comes with DOSBox.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 25 of 33, by temptingthelure

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

...so where's everyone so far in this game? Gotten into the main quest? Visited many towns?? I'm still in the stupid underground roaming stage. Damn controls are annoying. Are cheats possible in this release BTW? Damn skeleton guards.

Rise of the Triad modding site!
http://rott.s4.bizhat.com

Reply 27 of 33, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
temptingthelure wrote:

...so where's everyone so far in this game? Gotten into the main quest? Visited many towns?? I'm still in the stupid underground roaming stage. Damn controls are annoying. Are cheats possible in this release BTW? Damn skeleton guards.

Played through the first couple quests in the main questline and then decided to go back and start playing the free release of Arena first. Then I decided to round up and reorganize my game CDs and came across the CD version of Arena and decided to start all over again 🤣.

Cheats do exist for Daggerfall: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Daggerfal … s.2C_and_Guides

The one thing I don't like about DF is the 3D random dungeons. They're technically impressive but damned hard to navigate in any kind of organized manner. Even some of the main quest dungeons seem like they were made by the random dungeon generator and then hand-tweaked, unlike the ones in Arena that were hand-created from scratch and obviously much higher-quality than the random dungeons as a result.

Locutus: I'm sure it's mirrored on a bunch of sites by now.

Reply 28 of 33, by temptingthelure

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HunterZ wrote:
Played through the first couple quests in the main questline and then decided to go back and start playing the free release of A […]
Show full quote
temptingthelure wrote:

Played through the first couple quests in the main questline and then decided to go back and start playing the free release of Arena first. Then I decided to round up and reorganize my game CDs and came across the CD version of Arena and decided to start all over again 🤣.

Cheats do exist for Daggerfall: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Daggerfal … s.2C_and_Guides

The one thing I don't like about DF is the 3D random dungeons. They're technically impressive but damned hard to navigate in any kind of organized manner. Even some of the main quest dungeons seem like they were made by the random dungeon generator and then hand-tweaked, unlike the ones in Arena that were hand-created from scratch and obviously much higher-quality than the random dungeons as a result.

Locutus: I'm sure it's mirrored on a bunch of sites by now.

Damn, Arena was so annoying, and downright boring I wouldnt want to play it longer than 2 minutes. 😜 But yeah, one weakness in Daggerfall is that crappy movement, it's very difficult to climb up stairs in the dungeouns, and the view is too centered. It's like im a moving wooden box. All these problems could be solved if only Bethesda released this game's source code ...

Reply 30 of 33, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
temptingthelure wrote:

Damn, Arena was so annoying, and downright boring I wouldnt want to play it longer than 2 minutes.

For some reason I've always found it to be less boring than most of the other Ultima Underworld type of games.

😜 But yeah, one weakness in Daggerfall is that crappy movement, it's very difficult to climb up stairs in the dungeouns, and the view is too centered. It's like im a moving wooden box. All these problems could be solved if only Bethesda released this game's source code ...

Haven't have those problems. I've had trouble jumping and strafing and moving backwards though if the cycles are set too high or I'm running on too fast of a computer (like when I used to play on my 450MHz Pentium II 10 years ago).

Also, Bethesda can't release the source code because it was lost.

tannerstevo wrote:

This looks interesting:
http://daggerxl.wordpress.com/

I think I've heard that there are at least 2 DF remakes in progress but I have less interest in remakes than in source ports because they always take liberties.

Reply 31 of 33, by temptingthelure

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Damn, why do companies just cheerfully lose the source code to their old games like that? Yeah, I read that they lost the source code when they moved offices. So maybe they misplaced the file cabinet's contents with the disks which had the source code, and ended in a dumpster somewhere in maryland.

Rise of the Triad modding site!
http://rott.s4.bizhat.com

Reply 33 of 33, by temptingthelure

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HunterZ wrote:

That reminds me that I read recently that someone rescued a bunch of old Atari source code from a dumpster.

Awesome, though it that source code probably needs major rewriting to be useable on anything remotely modern. 😜 At least it's there. Now, if only someone found the dumpster where the disks with Daggerfall's source code...