VOGONS

VirtualBox 3.1.0 released

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 20 of 23, by temptingthelure

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

It still amazes me how compatible games still are. Every time I look at my list I'm amazed. Vista+ OS's have started to break things a little but we are still highly compatible with games today.

Well, new windows versions can't just drop all backward compatibility, can they? If they did not only the gaming crowd, but the business productivity one would complain. 😀 Windows 7 has a "XP compatible" mode doesnt it?

but yeah we definetly need a VM that supports D3D/OGL wrapped to the host for Windows 9x guests.

I agree completely, but who would work on this "WINBox" VM? 😁 To avoid starting from 0 i suppose the codebase from VirtualBox could be used. Maybe some members of the DosBox team can contribute. 😀 If they know directx/opengl emulation that is. 😀

Reply 21 of 23, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For what it's worth: i'm playing a lot of games from the area that's being discussed here on (more or less) modern systems, and most of them work quite well. What usually works for me is to install the games in a VM, apply all patches etc. and then just copy the game files and the main registry entry (usually it's one key in HKLM) for the specific game into the modern OS (Vista, Win 7). There's a freeware programm called "TrackWinstall" which creates a list of "before/after" registry entries and dirs/files (by datestamp or md5), which is useful for identifying what happens during the game's setup.

On topic: accelerated Win9x support would be great, but it looks like we're years away from something like that. As has been said, XP is the main focus for commercial virtualization solutions now. There's no money (or not enough of it) in the "old games" market, sadly. A pity really, seeing how well 3D acceleration works in VMWare, for example.

Reply 22 of 23, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You probably need a CPU that supports some kind of hardware accelerated virtual technology for Direct 3D acceleration to be accessible in the GUI. (http://www.intel.com/technology/virtualization/)

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 23 of 23, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

win 7 likes to do the rainbow effect on a lot of old games for fallout every one knows killap's res hacks of course starcraft is that same way but, the res hack isn't that great. i think it has something to do with win 7 not being made to support supper small resolutions and on top of that the pallets are all screwed up because it doesn't normally go below 800 by 600. i think they would make more money if they did a better windows on windows ON WINDOWS, 16-32-64.