VOGONS

Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Topic actions

Reply 3340 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 324 - PC Golf & PC Pro-Golf is online!

I was originally intending only to cover PC Golf as we actually had this game on our Tandy 1000 SX way back when I was a kid. In fact, it was there from Day 1 of Dad owning the thing, meaning the guy doing the setup and installation for him must've been the one to put it on there! :O

But, going back to it and finding out there was barely much to say, I tried to broaden the scope of the video and found out about PC Pro-Golf which struck me as being surprisingly similar at first... but the more I dug into it the more I realized there's no way both games were made by the same person, though PC Pro-Golf definitely feels inspired by PC Golf, at least to some extent.

Either way, calling these both "games" is kind of a misnomer, as you will soon see...

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 3341 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Filler #99 - MURI is online!

There were a couple reasons why I held off on covering this for as long as I did, given that this was a game mimicking the style and gameplay of the original Duke Nukem made in 2013 for modern computers. The first was that I didn't actually like the story and was pretty confused by it at first, so needed some time to be able to figure it out better, but the more pertinent reason is because I didn't really have a lot to say about the game as a whole, thus kept it on the back-burner as something to go back to later on so that I could look back on it retrospectively to a degree. I'm pretty sure this video worked out much better as a result of that, as I'm 99% certain if I tried talking about this game when it was brand new the video would've been much shorter and dismissive. :P

Having been making these videos for over a decade now, I can only really go back to a certain point in my old videos before I start to see the many, many problems with how I was doing things and how I was writing my scripts. Some of it I attribute to overworking myself, as I can keenly tell by how I sound in an old video how exhausted I was or wasn't when I made it, others are just flat-out inexperience and a lack of attention to detail with lines I absolutely would rewrite now given half the chance.

That said, I have no intention of going back and changing old videos; it's all history now. Changing any of it would be like trying to erase the past of where I've come from, what I've learned, and where I've ended up. Heck, even if YouTube gets nuked or something, I still have ALL of my videos backed up and archived! :B

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 3342 of 3347, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gemini000 wrote on 2024-03-16, 02:44:

Having been making these videos for over a decade now, I can only really go back to a certain point in my old videos before I start to see the many, many problems with how I was doing things and how I was writing my scripts. Some of it I attribute to overworking myself, as I can keenly tell by how I sound in an old video how exhausted I was or wasn't when I made it, others are just flat-out inexperience and a lack of attention to detail with lines I absolutely would rewrite now given half the chance.

That said, I have no intention of going back and changing old videos; it's all history now. Changing any of it would be like trying to erase the past of where I've come from, what I've learned, and where I've ended up. Heck, even if YouTube gets nuked or something, I still have ALL of my videos backed up and archived! :B

I've been watching your videos for about ten years and can honestly say that I've found the quality of your uploads very consistent over this time. The only thing I remember standing out was a microphone change early on. I think we're all our worst critic.

Reply 3343 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2024-03-16, 03:28:

The only thing I remember standing out was a microphone change early on.

I've actually had THREE mic changes up to this point now... technically. I started out using the mic in a crappy $60 webcam, moved on to using the mic in a Sony camcorder I bought when I covered Covert Action, got a Blue Yeti mic in the middle of Season 3 at the end of 2013, then a few years ago I had to promptly order a new Blue Yeti mic because the one I was using was starting to glitch in odd ways during recordings which was affecting sync with any live footage recorded, such as with Shovelware Diggers, plus Windows couldn't see it as a Blue Yeti mic anymore. (Confirmed the problem was the mic and not the cable once the new one arrived.)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 3344 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 325 - Avoid the Noid is online!

This... actually turned out better than I was expecting. I mean, not at first as the keyboard controls suck, but once I plugged in a gamepad it became WAY more playable! Though it's also a bit short and has elements which WOULD be infuriating if the game was any longer or any more random, so it's certainly not a "great" game but I would at least call it "decent" for what it is.

Also, before anyone comments on what happened to the whole "Noid" ad campaign Domino's Pizza was running, please make sure you read the video description over on YouTube first, as I go into details of what the media at the time and the internet now CONSTANTLY get wrong and repeat over and over again without checking their damn "facts". I even post a link to a radio program from a few years ago interviewing people who were involved at the time who shed light on everything.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 3346 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 326 - Unnatural Selection is online!

I kinda had high hopes for this one given that I actually found quite a bit of fun in some slightly more modern games themed around genetic manipulation, as those modern games had actual gene mechanics in place. Unnatural Selection though is more of a numbers game with no actual gene mechanics, so it's surprisingly shallow for what it is and ridiculously difficult when trying to play through its story mode. That said, it's definitely novel in terms of the kind of gameplay it was presenting at the time and a TON of effort was put into its presentation!

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 3347 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Pro 29 - Stat Balance - Seek and Destroy is online!

I honestly expected this to be trickier to figure out, but the results actually turned out to be incredibly straightforward and almost not even worthy of making a full video out of it, so to help pad the length I spend a couple minutes at the front of the video reiterating the reasons why I even make these Pro and Mod videos, since I think those reasons may have gotten lost along the way, at least a little! :B

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)