Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Topic actions

Reply 300 of 3354, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

If you own the first version, Duke Nukem 3D 1.3D you'll also own the first two games.

I just checked my Duke3D CD and wow... I've had the full versions of Duke Nukem and Duke Nukem II this entire time and I didn't even know it! XD

Though I did spot something very strange about my Duke3D CD. Around its outer edge it says, "For International Sales Only, Not for resale in the U.S. or Canada." What makes this statement perplexing is I am Canadian, and so is the person who gave me this CD, so how in the world did we end up with an international distribution CD rather than one intended for North America?

I should note too that despite being for "international sales only", all the contents of the disc are in nothing but English.

Weird.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 301 of 3354, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Gemini000: we are talking about Duke Nukum/Nukem episode 1,2,3 and then also Duke Nukem 2 ?

Anyway Gemini000, spell checking. Should be pretty straight forward, cause Canadian English uses an almost exact version of the British English dictionary. So fuck Word perfect, and go for a British English spell checking dictionary That is what I use in my Firefox (not that it is a splendid and colourful dictionary). But it is an Okay British English dictionary.

Great episode, and I really love the song Greensleeves, and many years ago I actually performed the particular song, I sang Scarborough Fair too during the same event. Man those two songs really made me use my voice which I had back then.

Reply 302 of 3354, by nemesis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
nemesis wrote:

I actually had the first two Duke Nukem games on my atomic edition disc... not sure what version number though. Also they were on my Plutonium Pack disc.

Correction: I was actually thinking of my backup copy, I can't find my Atomic Edition origional disc yet as I put it in a safe location that just happens to be so safe that I can't find it. I'm not 100% certain if it was on my Atomic Edition. Sorry for the confusion. 🙁

Reply 303 of 3354, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some comments about the KQ2 episode:
- I didn't notice any noise issues even though I read the apology beforehand. I did get a few advertisement popups in the middle of the video though 🙁
- ScummVM supports AGI and now SCI games, giving an alternative to DOSBox for running the originals in Windows.
- I didn't even know WordPerfect still existed; I thought everyone used either Microsoft Office or LibreOffice (formerly OpenOffice) now. Last time I used WP it was an ancient DOS application (ADA?) and was fairly terrible. Wolverine is right about the spell-checking I'd guess: it probably somehow got confused between American ("neighborhood") and Canadian/British English ("neighbourhood").

Reply 304 of 3354, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HunterZ wrote:

- I didn't notice any noise issues even though I read the apology beforehand. I did get a few advertisement popups in the middle of the video though :(

As I said here and on my website, I performed some aggressive noise filtering that decreased the overall quality of the audio. As a result, my voice sounds a little "blured" compared to my other recent videos.

As for the ads, they can be stubborn sometimes and reappear continually. Dunno why but thankfully it doesn't happen that often. Normally, once one ad's popped up mid-video no more will.

HunterZ wrote:

- ScummVM supports AGI and now SCI games, giving an alternative to DOSBox for running the originals in Windows.

Yes, and I keep forgetting about it. ;D

HunterZ wrote:

- I didn't even know WordPerfect still existed; I thought everyone used either Microsoft Office or LibreOffice (formerly OpenOffice) now. Last time I used WP it was an ancient DOS application (ADA?) and was fairly terrible. Wolverine is right about the spell-checking I'd guess: it probably somehow got confused between American ("neighborhood") and Canadian/British English ("neighbourhood").

Oh yeah, WP still exists, though I'm using a VERY old version I got back in 2002. It works so I've never had a reason to spend $100+ on new software. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 305 of 3354, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gemini000 wrote:
HunterZ wrote:

Yes, and I keep forgetting about it. ;D

I don't think I've played all the way through any AGI or SCI games with ScummVM yet, but I've loaded a few into it and they seem to work fine. ScummVM has the potential to be less accurate since it's a different engine (it just uses the art, sounds, scripts, maps, etc. from the original games), but they've done a really good job - plus you get some extra bells and whistles out of it!

HunterZ wrote:

Oh yeah, WP still exists, though I'm using a VERY old version I got back in 2002. It works so I've never had a reason to spend $100+ on new software. 😜

You might like LibreOffice better, and it's free (as in beer AND speech) so you have nothing to lose by trying it 😜

Reply 306 of 3354, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HunterZ wrote:
HunterZ wrote:

Oh yeah, WP still exists, though I'm using a VERY old version I got back in 2002. It works so I've never had a reason to spend $100+ on new software. :P

You might like LibreOffice better, and it's free (as in beer AND speech) so you have nothing to lose by trying it :P

I might check it out, but I use almost every feature my version of WordPerfect has, so switching to a different program that lacks even a single feature would prevent such a transition, and for features WP doesn't have I just make separate files using other programs, such as WizFlow for flowcharting.

My copy of WordPerfect may be old but it still has TONS of features. ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 307 of 3354, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 50 - 2000 Shareware Games CD is online!

The episode's actually split into two parts since it's nearly an hour long, so if you've already watched the first part, then click here to watch the second!

I couldn't think of any one game to do for today's episode, so I decided to do something a little different than usual. It's a huge shareware collection and I only skimmed the surface of it, so maybe in the future I can check out a few more items from the CD. ;)

Also, this marks the end of the first season of Ancient DOS Games. I'll be taking a break from my usual ADG duties, with Episode 51, the first episode of the second season, going online Saturday, July 9th.

Though you may want to check back at my website, www.pixelships.com, a week beforehand because I'll be posting the hint for the next episode there! (And yeah, I'll probably post it here too. ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 308 of 3354, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

nice.
Small hint.
dosbox has tab completion for file names and directory names
and supports the DIRCMD setting. Might help in the future

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 309 of 3354, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Qbix wrote:
nice. Small hint. dosbox has tab completion for file names and directory names and supports the DIRCMD setting. Might help in th […]
Show full quote

nice.
Small hint.
dosbox has tab completion for file names and directory names
and supports the DIRCMD setting. Might help in the future

Good to know, but I'm so used to working with the DOS command prompt the traditional way I'll probably forget to use these features. ;D

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 310 of 3354, by nerka99

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Gratz on 1st series. Have a nice "vacation" 😉
I was wondering... do you maybe consider changing few things for season 2. I was actually thinking about ADG logo with game name during episode, often it obstruct view of some things. Could you consider (if other people will share my opinion) to maybe have it for 1st and last minute of episode and fade it away in middle?

[edit] also there was game called jesus...could you check it in spare time and write what was it:D?

logo.jpeg cRPG Games Lexicon

Reply 311 of 3354, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
nerka99 wrote:

I was wondering... do you maybe consider changing few things for season 2. I was actually thinking about ADG logo with game name during episode, often it obstruct view of some things. Could you consider (if other people will share my opinion) to maybe have it for 1st and last minute of episode and fade it away in middle?

Maybe... If it ever obstructs something important I fade it out temporarily but part of the reason I have it there is to give my show a different feel than other shows. So far, no one else's complained, or maybe everyone's just being quiet about it; who can say?

nerka99 wrote:

[edit] also there was game called jesus...could you check it in spare time and write what was it:D?

It's a somewhat unusual game by Testament Software called "Words of Jesus". Basically, it's a side scrolling game where you're given Bible passages and then have to walk around this extremely strange hi-tech facility finding pieces of those passages in the right order to reconstruct them. It wouldn't be so bad if the entire game wasn't mouse driven only. (Not a single keyboard control anywhere.)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 312 of 3354, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Congrats on 50th episode! Poking around the contents of a shareware CD was a fun idea. I also noticed Arkanoid 2 and had the same reaction just before you did in the video 😀 I own it on 5.25" floppy and had to find a crack for it recently when imaging my floppies so that it would run in DOSBox.

I also found the ADG logo a bit intrusive/distracting during the Vortex game and was going to mention the same thing about fading it. Usually it doesn't bother me, but there's been a couple times in various ADG episodes where the logo was either distracting or blocked parts of the screen that I would have liked to see.

Thanks for making these; ADG and the Ben Heck Show are the only web shows I watch regularly. Hope you enjoy your break!

Reply 313 of 3354, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Season 2 is a week away! :)

Which means I have a hint for everyone as to what game I will be reviewing for Episode 51. Remember, if you want to submit a guess, it's gotta go to my ADG eMail address which you can find on my website.

The hint is: It is a game that had a single letter changed in its name to try and avoid a copyright issue that never needed to be worried about in the first place.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 314 of 3354, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No idea what game it is, but looking forward to your videos!

Watching your videos has become part of my weekend media ritual 😁

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 315 of 3354, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gemini000 wrote:

Maybe... If it ever obstructs something important I fade it out temporarily but part of the reason I have it there is to give my show a different feel than other shows. So far, no one else's complained, or maybe everyone's just being quiet about it; who can say?

Fading of the logo wasn't implemented that well in the episode 50, I recall the logo overlapping relevant details. I was definitely getting irked by it by the end, perhaps due to the greater length of the recent episode. While I definitely appreciate the info provided and the consistent formatting, more logo free video may be preferable. Much like the larger bugs in TV programming, while briefly OK they become annoying given longer/repeated exposure.

Alternately, you might try providing a minor tid-bits feed in that area. The continuous branding may be more acceptable if it served a larger purpose.

Reply 316 of 3354, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

No idea what game it is, but looking forward to your videos!

Watching your videos has become part of my weekend media ritual 😁

This webshow was a godsend for me when I was doing overtime from home on Saturday mornings earlier this year. I still manage to watch it at some point during most weekends!

Reply 317 of 3354, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
WolverineDK wrote:

Removed by Qbix

Maybe... but you just announced your guess to the rest of the forum! :P

If you want to actually submit one to potentially see your name in the credits, you need to use my ADG eMail address. You can find it in the credits of any ADG episode or on the Contact page of my website: http://www.pixelships.com/contact.html

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)