VOGONS

Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Topic actions

Reply 580 of 3354, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

besides, larry uses censorship to its humorous advantage, especially in LSL3. Also it's possible to imply more intensity with censorship by leavnig stuff to your imagination

and the custom swear word... 🤣

Sadly, LSL3 is the only Larry game i've ever played through to completion, only because there's a strong female role (!!!!) and chippendales (!!!!!!!!!!!).

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 581 of 3354, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

*not quite sure what happened between my last post and now, spent all of yesterday playing Terraria...*

VOGONS has its own rules and stuff and I'm not a moderator by any means. (Nor would you want to give me mod-like powers, mwahaha! >;) So as long as a post fits the guidelines set forth by VOGONS I don't have a problem with it being in this thread.

I also have no intention to review any games that would demand an X rating. Not because I'm against those games or anything, just because there aren't that many for DOS and I really don't want to go through the trouble of trying to cover such a game when half the visitors to my website are underage.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 583 of 3354, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I forgot to mention that I found it odd that MT-32 was listed in red in the LSL VGA remake part of the episode. According to the Wikpedia list, the game's soundtrack was composed specifically with the MT-32 in mind and then arranged afterwards for OPL2 and such. I chalked it up to the fact that SB/Adlib is more accessible due to built-in DOSBox support, but that doesn't mean it's inherently better in the case that MT-32 is actually an option.

Reply 584 of 3354, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The red colour code for sound devices in the game stats means "Music Only", no sound effects. TBH, I have no idea if the VGA remake supports MT-32 sound effects, but since the MT-32 is primarily a music device, not a sound device, I figured I'd list it that way. If the game does indeed also play back sound effects over the MT-32 I can add a correction below the video itself on my website.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 585 of 3354, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Most people don't care what the game was composed for, because they want to reproduce the sound
they had when they played it "back then" which was almost always sound blaster/adlib.

Reply 586 of 3354, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gemini000 wrote:

The red colour code for sound devices in the game stats means "Music Only", no sound effects. TBH, I have no idea if the VGA remake supports MT-32 sound effects, but since the MT-32 is primarily a music device, not a sound device, I figured I'd list it that way. If the game does indeed also play back sound effects over the MT-32 I can add a correction below the video itself on my website.

Good to know what your color coding scheme is, thanks. I thought it was more of a thumbs-up/down kind of thing.

I'm not sure about the VGA remake of LSL1 since I haven't played it, but the only sound effects that Sierra games won't play on the MT-32 are digitized ones. However, many (but not all) Sierra games that support MT-32 for music and digitized sound effects on the Sound Blaster either provide a driver that allows simultaneous use of both for those purposes, or provide the ability to select separate sound and music drivers. The two exceptions that stick in my mind are Betrayal at Krondor and Quest for Glory 2, in which you have to make the annoying choice between mediocre Adlib music with a few digitized Sound Blaster sounds, or amazing MT-32 music with no digitized sounds.

wd wrote:

Most people don't care what the game was composed for, because they want to reproduce the sound they had when they played it "back then" which was almost always sound blaster/adlib.

This is true, although I'll never understand it. I think my desire to hear it the way the developers intended stems from the fact that I was stuck with only PC Speaker until I finally got an SB 2.0 for our 8MHz 286 around 1992. By that time, I had already played X-Wing on my cousin's 386 with a Sound Blaster Pro and an ISA Roland MIDI synthesizer (SCC-1 maybe?), so I was probably more aware than most of the various levels of sound hardware quality that existed in the DOS era.

I now own external Roland SC-88 and MT-32 MIDI synths that I use with modern machines that run DOSBox so that I can hear DOS music the way it was intended by the developers. Of course, this isn't going to be practical (if even of interest) to most people with a causal interest in DOS games, but there are still great, free software synths out there now like BASSMIDIDRV that blow away OPLx music in games that support both. I've been using BASSMIDIDRV in Windows and Timidity in Linux on my laptop as software MIDI synths for retro-gaming, and I wouldn't recommend anything less for those who are willing to go through the trouble of setting it up.

Edit: Also, for the people who are nostalgic about the Adlib, I'd play these videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-uAf_xMQSQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEn7XNDKwlw

Reply 587 of 3354, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I think my desire to hear it the way the developers intended stems from the fact that I was stuck with only PC Speaker

If you prefer the feeling of "hey that's what the dev intended" over the "hey that's what I remember from back then" then yeah.

Reply 588 of 3354, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The point of the part you quoted was that I used PC Speaker "back then", but would never choose PC Speaker music over even OPL in DOSBox (with the exception of games like Metal Mutant and Wizardry 6 & 7 that hamfistedly use the PC Speaker and OPL2 as DACs, as DOSBox's OPL emulation doesn't support it). This makes me less nostalgic about my own DOS game music/sound experience, and therefore less empathetic towards those who are nostalgic for OPL music over MIDI music.

Reply 590 of 3354, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The point of the part you quoted was that I used PC Speaker "back then"

I know what you said, that's why I again pointed out that for most other people the "back then" factor is way more important
than the "pc speaker sucks so mt32 it is" factor. I'd never play warlords with anything different than pcspeaker.

Reply 591 of 3354, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gemini000 wrote:

TBH, I have no idea if the VGA remake supports MT-32 sound effects, but since the MT-32 is primarily a music device, not a sound device, I figured I'd list it that way. If the game does indeed also play back sound effects over the MT-32 I can add a correction below the video itself on my website.

I don't know about this game, but when we look at Space Quest 4, most sound effects are actually digital recordings of the MT-32.

Sierra was very good at creating custom sounds for the MT-32 and their Games also play Sound effects if you only have an Adlib card (A FM substitute of digital sound effects).

But yea, don't know about this game, just about Sierra in general 😀

Reply 592 of 3354, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

I don't know about this game, but when we look at Space Quest 4, most sound effects are actually digital recordings of the MT-32.

I don't think the MT-32 has the matterhorn scream though

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 593 of 3354, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

I don't think the MT-32 has the matterhorn scream though

Goddamnit, you had to remind me of that. It scared the living hell out of me when I first played the game!

Reply 594 of 3354, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Urgle... I managed to get sick today. Very lousy time to get sick. One week later would've been preferable. x_x;

Don't be surprised if the game I cover on Saturday isn't the same one I intended to review. I need to capture huge amounts of difficult gameplay footage for the game I want to cover, so I may opt to just do something super-simple so I can rest and recouperate.

I hate to have to do that for the last regular episode of the year, which would push back the intended review to January 7th so as not to completely mess up the schedule I have planned with fillers and whatnot... but if it has to come down to that so I don't overwork myself and make whatever I'm sick with even worse, so be it. :|

TBH: Sometimes I'm surprised I've gotten as far as I have. My first attempt to start ADG back in 2008 lasted all of two episodes. >_>;

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 595 of 3354, by nerka99

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gemini000 wrote:

half the visitors to my website are underage.

Could you tell me where did you get that info 😀 ?

Frankly i don't belive that youngsters (GET OFF MY LAWN!!! ... damn kids this days 😜) are interested in "ancient" games. I thought majority of your (and Clint, since he's doing similiar stuff) viewers are 25+; and people like Angry Video Game Nerd tend to gather younger audience since... well they are popular, and it doesn't really matter to 13 year olds what thet are reviewing as long as they can hear "f*ck" every 30 seconds and see him making some silly faces (I myself do enjoy AVGN but for other reasons).

logo.jpeg cRPG Games Lexicon

Reply 596 of 3354, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Funny you mention this because I was playing quite a few old games when I was a teenager. Most games I had seen as a kid, but was unable to play them because they were complex and difficult. Like Maniac Mansion were I didn't get much further than past the front door or Space Quest which were impossible to play.

When I was in my 20s I played Gateway and the Sequel. And I didn't play Kings Quest 3 until recently 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 597 of 3354, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gemini000 wrote:

Don't be surprised if the game I cover on Saturday isn't the same one I intended to review. I need to capture huge amounts of difficult gameplay footage for the game I want to cover, so I may opt to just do something super-simple so I can rest and recouperate.

I hate to have to do that for the last regular episode of the year, which would push back the intended review to January 7th so as not to completely mess up the schedule I have planned with fillers and whatnot... but if it has to come down to that so I don't overwork myself and make whatever I'm sick with even worse, so be it. 😐

If the guess I e-mailed in was correct, then it's a game that's worth taking the extra time to review. Get well!

Reply 598 of 3354, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
nerka99 wrote:

Could you tell me where did you get that info

Since I don't have public commenting on my website, (no comment boxes, guestbooks or anything like that), I get a fair number of eMails. Since eMails are private, you'd be surprised how often people share details they would think twice about sharing in a public area, their age being one of those.

The vast majority of the time someone shares their age with me, it's under 18. I think the youngest person who's ever eMailed me (and stated their age) was about 11. I could be wrong about that.

Also, don't forget that ADG isn't the only thing on my website. I make games too. ;)

(And no, I'm not feeling better. This message took 15 minutes to write and I'm going back to bed momentarily. x_x )

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 599 of 3354, by tranoidnoki

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey Kris! I emailed you a few times, came over here and decided to post and discuss the show with other fans of older gaming! Do you have any plans to release your show in a downloadable fashion, like in a torrent or something? I know I can go over to your site and check it out, but I have a HTPC setup that I like to watch media on from the comfort of my couch, and don't always like to sit in front of a computer. I would even pay for a DVD collection or something. Just a thought! Keep up the good work and feel better!