That said, can't wait for minetest to really shape up

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 901 of 3355, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Gemini000: I know what stress does, after all. Just because I am healed up after my gallbladder surgery back in April, then I know I need to take a break from the whole Occupy stuff for a while. Even though I should have been to a support demonstration for the Students in Quebec (the fucking crazy law). But I felt , and I do feel. That I need to take a big break. Since I am feeling exhausted and empty. So I need time to recuperate.

Lo and behold, I almost forgot to say, what a lovely , beautiful and musical filler episode 😀 And also you can run KDEnlive on a Linux machine that has only 1ghz, and uses L X D E as its window manager. Basically KDEnlive is brilliant, free and can be used on various "low end systems".

Also perhaps I am NOT the biggest minecraft fan, but I love Chrono Trigger. So enjoy this video 😀

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q20-m-8zZA

Gemini000: By any chance have you ever played, or do you like the old and great JRPG known as Secret Of Mana ? since the music in your filler reminds me a bit of Secret Of Mana.

Reply 902 of 3355, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

All of the music in this week's filler is from Minecraft itself, as indicated in the credits at the end. ;)

As for Kdenlive, one of my favourite web show artists had nothing but trouble with it. Also, because I have very little experience with Linux it would be dangerous for me to mess around with it, even from a bootable CD.

Vegas wasn't too expensive. I didn't need all of the extra features provided in the pricier editions of it, it does everything I want my video editing software to do, and I've still yet to have it outright crash on me, so that's why I settled with it.

I seriously tried virtually every free/inexpensive NLE video editor available for Windows before starting ADG. You wouldn't believe some of the ridiculous problems video editing software can have, like being unable to load saved compositions in the same state you left them in, being unable to render to wide-screen resolutions, being unable to read video data in any AVI file beyond roughly the 2 1/2 minute mark, being unable to choose which codec to use in an AVI file, and I think half of all the software I tried crashed after just the first 10 minutes of use. >_>;

And I haven't just played Secret of Mana, I've beaten it and I own the SNES cart. I even still have the manual which has all those pictures of the characters inside which look like highly-detailed plushies! (Though I think they're actually clay, dunno. Either way, they're fun! ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 903 of 3355, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Gemini000: The only thing I can say is, if you have a "slow" PC which is either a laptop or a stationary pc, then make a dual boot with Linux and your usual stuff . And what I mean by slow, is 1ghz , and 1+gb of ram, and then install one of the L X D E (it looks quite a lot like windows) distros. And then depending on your level of programming skills, then you have a magnitude of distributions, such as Linux Mint, Peppermint OS One (and its family) Lubuntu, or any other L X D E run distro. But about people using Linux, I can recommend you http://osgui.org/, and http://www.youtube.com/user/sneekylinux to name two great guys who knows their stuff around the Linux world. Sadly osgui has gone, cause he has become a victim of SERIOUS homophobia. So anyway, the linux section of reddit can also help you a LOT. Even though you can meet quite a few fanboys and what not there. But hey most people are quite helpful 😀

http://www.reddit.com/r/linux/

And then there is always this page.

http://distrowatch.com/

Reply 904 of 3355, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When it comes to Linux distros, I myself am a fan of Fedora. It's lightweight, it has a nice interface, and best of all, it is NOT Ubuntu-based. 🤣 I've personally had nothing but trouble with Ubuntu-based distros, after years of playing around with them on and off. I know a lot of people swear by Ubuntu, and it's probably an alright distro if you have the right hardware for it, but I just haven't had much luck with it.

Reply 905 of 3355, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gemini000 wrote:

Ancient DOS Games Filler #18 - Gemini's Minecraft Bases is online!

I've played MineCraft before. I never bothered to get my own account with it, though. One issue I had with the structures I built was that they didn't seem to fit the landmass they were on. A 2 story beach house would still be visible on the other side of the ocean. The hills and valleys made it necessary to flatten out land and sometimes dig out the side of a mountain to make room for my base. It just never looked natural for the place it was built. Then if red stone was involved in any way that used several logic gates the project would turn out huge since there was no way to make compact circuits and even more space was wasted in trying to hide the wiring.

I think if anyone I know provides another opportunity to play it I might try the industrial mod to see if it adds anything interesting.

Reply 906 of 3355, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
WolverineDK wrote:

Also perhaps I am NOT the biggest minecraft fan, but I love Chrono Trigger. So enjoy this video 😀

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q20-m-8zZA

That is fantastic.

I love the texture pack, too.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 907 of 3355, by The Gecko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
WolverineDK wrote:

I should have been to a support demonstration for the Students in Quebec (the fucking crazy law).

(offtopic) Yeah, agreed about the law. Did you, by any chance, get to see Anarchopanda? That guy seems awesome.
EDIT: oops, I thought you said you had been there.

WolverineDK wrote:

Lo and behold, I almost forgot to say, what a lovely , beautiful and musical filler episode 😀 And also you can run KDEnlive on a Linux machine that has only 1ghz, and uses L X D E as its window manager. Basically KDEnlive is brilliant, free and can be used on various "low end systems".

XFCE is a good choice as well, as it's also designed around low end systems. A lot of Gnome users who were put off by the direction it has been taking of late switched to XFCE.

WolverineDK wrote:

Gemini000: By any chance have you ever played, or do you like the old and great JRPG known as Secret Of Mana ? since the music in your filler reminds me a bit of Secret Of Mana.

Gonna second the Mana thing - I played the hell out of that. Even had a second player most of the time to control one of the characters, so that was fun.

EDIT: Fixed missing wordses.

Last edited by The Gecko on 2012-06-25, 00:15. Edited 2 times in total.

If all else fails, use fire.

Reply 908 of 3355, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, that whole shitstorm that went on in Quebec just makes me want to shake my head. I mean, tuition hikes are one thing, and I can sort of see why they did that, but an anti-protesting law? What kind of proper democratic state would allow that?!? I mean, the very foundation of democracy is the fact that people can voice their opinions on things, even if the people up above don't like it. I know we're *technically* a constitutional monarchy, but in almost all respects we're basically a democracy, or at least we should be.

Reply 909 of 3355, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The next episode of ADG is going to be slightly late. Probably won't be up until 2 or 3 AM EDT.

I ran into the same rendering problems today that I did with last weekend's filler, only this time I hadn't touched XviD at all, but due to frequent video mode changes with the game I'm covering, I had to stitch about 177 video files together using Vegas for easier editing... which somehow caused the same problem as using XviD encoded AVIs.

After researching the problem as best as I could and coming up with no answers, I had a random thought that maybe reinterleaving to the older AVI specifications would help. Well, so far, not only did this shave off about 10% of the file sizes, but it seems as though the problems I was running into are gone. If reinterleaving did indeed solve the problem, then I'm only going to be a few hours late. :)

...either way, video files are EVIL. Too many codecs, too many container formats, too many versions of each container format, too many settings for all of those... with the ridiculous amout of complexity going on in these things I'm sometimes surprised video files work at all. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 910 of 3355, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

FFDShow is worse dealing with that, which is why they pulled out all the cool codecs in their stuff since they never could get anything right. I only use two-pass XViD encoding using the XViD encoder (not ffdshow)for serious encoding now.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 911 of 3355, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gemini000 wrote:

Too many codecs, too many container formats, too many versions of each container format, too many settings for all of those...

Too many women with too many pills...

angus_young-photo1.jpg

😜

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 912 of 3355, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Actually, it's probably a good thing I got delayed, otherwise I would've had the video uploaded about now and then noticed that nothing on Blip is playing properly right now. o_O

Probably a glitch in the system that'll be fixed in short order but I'm not going to do the upload until video playback is working again.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 913 of 3355, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

...Blip just disappeared from the net 15 minutes ago and still isn't back yet...

...this can't be good. o_O;

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 915 of 3355, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 91 - Reaping the Dungeon is online!

The trouble with Blip lasted about an hour, but even after it came back online my first attempt to upload the latest episode of ADG failed after it was fully uploaded... so I had to upload it twice. :P

Either way, it's finally online. :)

I'm kinda surprised no one guessed what today's game would be, as this is one I was playing when it was brand new, though it's only more recently that I was finally able to try out the registered version and despite crashing the game due to a ridiculously high amount of oxygen I still enjoyed it. ;D

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 916 of 3355, by The Gecko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gemini000 wrote:

...Blip just disappeared from the net 15 minutes ago and still isn't back yet...

...this can't be good. 😮;

I wonder if it had anything to do with the massive storm damage along the Eastern US? Anyway, as you say, it's back up now.

Also, re: the intro, jupiter has a solid rocky core.

Anyway, re: the actual episode.

LOTS of roguelikes start out very, very difficult. Items you find in the early game can make or break the first few levels. It's very typical to lose more characters in the early levels of roguelikes than the later ones.

Even in more forgiving roguelikes, such as Dredmor, I find that if you're making a build that will carry you to endgame, it's often weaker in the early game until you fill in at least one core skill.

Reply 917 of 3355, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used to play the shareware version of Dungeon Rogue as a kid. I never got very far though, it was too difficult for me.

And thanks for spoiling the ending in the video 😜

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 918 of 3355, by The Gecko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah. My first roguelike was Castle of the Winds Shareware on the first x86 based computer I owned (I'd only had a C=64 up to that point).

If all else fails, use fire.

Reply 919 of 3355, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DonutKing wrote:

And thanks for spoiling the ending in the video :P

It took me 20 hours of gameplay to get that far and I was racing through the last 80 metres trying to get them over with as fast as possible. If the ending was impressive in some way I wouldn't've shown it.

My reasoning was to prevent people from forcing themselves through the rest of the game if they got 10 hours in and got bored so that they would know they wouldn't be missing anything special if they decided to just move on to other games.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)