VOGONS

Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Topic actions

Reply 1000 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So yeah... turns out I might be a bit more sick than I anticipated...

Not long after I got the latest ADG episode up, a cold sore appeared in my mouth in one of the most sensitive and painful places possible, and I've begun suffering virtually every symptom possible from such a thing all at once. x_x;;;

The symptoms came on so gradually that even now, it doesn't feel like I should be sick, yet I clearly am.

Dunno how this is gonna affect my ADG schedule. I'm gonna try and stick to it but the big thing will be if I can do the voiceover or not. I still have my voice surprisingly, but I have no idea if it can hold out for an entire review, so we'll see. If it won't, or if my symptoms start to get really nuts, I'll just upload a quick little filler again that doesn't require me to talk and then hope I'm better next week.

*shrugs* You'd think this could've waited a couple more weeks so I could be done Season 2. :P

Also, this be the 1000th reply to this thread. :)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 1003 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 99 - King's Quest is online!

The 100th episode is next Saturday! :O

...technically. So far, I've uploaded 121 videos to Blip, but the other 21 include 19 fillers, Episode 0, and the bloopers for Filler #5. ;)

In any case, Episode 100 is going to be pretty epic. Still have to finish making the props I need for it, but they're going well. Every person who sends in a correct guess, not just the first three, will also be making the credits. :D

After Episode 100 I'm going to do a filler the weekend following to discuss the future of ADG and what to expect during the off-season, as I don't intend to start Season 3 until January. Don't worry, there'll still be videos, just not as regular and only fillers.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1004 of 3347, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

🤣 I never once got physically stuck in a Sierra games. You do indeed have a talent in finding such bugs 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 1005 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just finished cutting together the live action footage and adding in the special effects for Episode 100... man is it embarassing, but fun at the same time. XD

I guess there's something to be said for going through all the effort to begin with so I suppose in the end, embarassing or not, it will be epic. :)

Actually, going through all this made me appreciate what Clint must've gone through to do some of his earlier performances where he's playing himself twice in the same scene, since one of the first things I had to do was match up two pieces of footage from the same camera angle, one of which was being used to hide part of the other temporarily... and lo and behold, the camera's automatic colour balancing and exposure features basically changed the entire nature of the lighting between the two pieces of footage, so I had to spend over half an hour fiddling with gamma nodes and fading the edges of the two pieces together. You can still see the fade variation with the right monitor settings or sitting from the right angle, but since it only needs to be this way for two seconds I managed to get it as close as possible without doing anything too ridiculous.

But yeah, just a couple more days left before it goes online! :D

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1006 of 3347, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gemini000 wrote:

and lo and behold, the camera's automatic colour balancing and exposure features basically changed the entire nature of the lighting between the two pieces of footage

Ugh, hate that.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 1007 of 3347, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm going to crap a brick if instead of reviewing [REDACTED] You instead review Escape Velocity.

Yes i'm going to beat that dead horse. Also, I *just* got an old Quadra 660av running. ^.^

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 1008 of 3347, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gemini000 wrote:
Ancient DOS Games Episode 99 - King's Quest is online! […]
Show full quote

Ancient DOS Games Episode 99 - King's Quest is online!

The 100th episode is next Saturday! 😳

...technically. So far, I've uploaded 121 videos to Blip, but the other 21 include 19 fillers, Episode 0, and the bloopers for Filler #5. 😉

In any case, Episode 100 is going to be pretty epic. Still have to finish making the props I need for it, but they're going well. Every person who sends in a correct guess, not just the first three, will also be making the credits. 😁

After Episode 100 I'm going to do a filler the weekend following to discuss the future of ADG and what to expect during the off-season, as I don't intend to start Season 3 until January. Don't worry, there'll still be videos, just not as regular and only fillers.

Great episode and thanks for the mention in the credits. (I was lucky to be to be the third person to guess correctly).

One or two technical notes :

King's Quest I AGI supports MCGA graphics. MCGA support was added to AGI after EGA and Hercules support so all those IBM PS/2 Model 25 & 30 owners would not have to suffer 4-color CGA graphics.

The version of King's Quest I SCI (and King's Quest IV) found in all the compilation releases uses an colorful install program originally seen in games released in 1991 (KQ1 being released in 1990). The floppy disks have the standard monochrome install program found in other Sierra games of the time. I own the first King's Quest Collection Sierra released and it has the color install program and only a few graphics and sound drivers. Floppy King's Quest I SCI also has support for CGA, TGA, PCjr. and Hercules. It also had support for Game Blaster and Tandy 1000/PCjr. and Tandy TL/SL digital sound. Drivers from other SCI0 games can be used for graphics and to a lesser extent, sound.

Although personal preferences may vary and access to hardware is usually an issue, Roland MT-32 was officially deemed the superior choice for sound for SCI games.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 1009 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Great Hierophant wrote:

King's Quest I AGI supports MCGA graphics. MCGA support was added to AGI after EGA and Hercules support so all those IBM PS/2 Model 25 & 30 owners would not have to suffer 4-color CGA graphics.

Makes sense, though figuring this out can be hard since there's no MCGA-specific machine mode in DOSBox... yet...

Great Hierophant wrote:

Floppy King's Quest I SCI also has support for CGA, TGA, PCjr. and Hercules. It also had support for Game Blaster and Tandy 1000/PCjr. and Tandy TL/SL digital sound. Drivers from other SCI0 games can be used for graphics and to a lesser extent, sound.

All of those driver files are missing from the copy included in the 2006 collection CD. :(

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the support was there though. I'll add a note about this to the additional information section when I get Episode 100 up.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1010 of 3347, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Great King's Quest episode Kris, I wanted to throw something out there about the first game you may want to look into if you haven't already. There is a fan VGA remake of the first three King's Quest games that from what I played, are actually pretty good. If you haven't check them out, they are free to download.

Reply 1011 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SpooferJahk wrote:

Great King's Quest episode Kris, I wanted to throw something out there about the first game you may want to look into if you haven't already. There is a fan VGA remake of the first three King's Quest games that from what I played, are actually pretty good. If you haven't check them out, they are free to download.

The interesting thing about those particular fan remakes is that they're made by a company called "AGD Interactive".

...*points left*... yeah. Talk about cutting it close with the acronyms. ;D

Anyways, got Episode 100 rendering right now. I think it should be obvious from the way the episode progresses but if you're one of the people who stop watching when the credits roll, you'll want to make an exception for this one. ;)

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Stingers FTW! :D

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1013 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Season 2 Finale of Ancient DOS Games, Episode 100 - Bubble Bobble, is online! :D

...even though it's technically my 122nd video. ^_^;

But yeah, if the number of correct guesses in the credits this week seems small, consider that almost half of the guesses were for Jetpack, and there were a couple for The Incredible Machine and Lode Runner as well. I intentionally made the hint last episode vague because I was going to add in everyone who got it right. ;)

And yeah, the live action parts at the start and end are completely embarassing, but it was still fun to do and took a lot more effort than it may've seemed. Though, now that I know my camera doesn't auto-focus or audio-record long-range stuff very well I may wanna invest in a better one if I ever do any more serious live-action stuff. :P

I'll have a filler up on the 22nd to talk about what's going to happen now that Season 2 is finished so make sure to stay tuned for that. :)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1014 of 3347, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Haha, this came right out of left-field... Bubble Bobble is a personal favorite as well, and I too was exposed to the DOS version before any other, but I've grown to associate this game with the arcade original / other ports so I wasn't quite prepared for it being featured so prominently on ADG.

an interesting factoid: I originally played this on a 8088 XT clone w/EGA, and a friend of mine ran the same copy on his more advanced 80286 AT/VGA machine. On his 286, the number of enemies was capped at 6 per level; but on my slower machine, the maximum was 4.
I wonder if there was some sort of CPU detection at work to determine this upper limit? I don't have the game at my disposal right now, but this might be interesting to investigate.

At any rate - congrats on your 100th episode!

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 1016 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:

What was the thing on your arm that changed into stuff supposed to be?

A Guardian Key Tool.

...you haven't ever watched ReBoot, have you? That entire ending sequence was a parody of a scene from one of its early episodes. :o

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1017 of 3347, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Congrats on your 100th episode! 😀

Co-incidentally, I'm working on my 10th episode right now. 😜

I love Bubble Bobble too, though when I was really young, I used to confuse it with Puzzle Bobble. Same characters in both, I think?

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 1018 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SquallStrife wrote:

I love Bubble Bobble too, though when I was really young, I used to confuse it with Puzzle Bobble. Same characters in both, I think?

Yup. Taito used the same characters across several games: Bubble Bobble, Rainbow Islands, Parasol Stars, Puzzle Bobble / Bust-A-Move... all of those games have Bub and Bob, though sometimes they're human and sometimes they're in dino form, and sometimes their names are slightly different depending on which localization you're playing and Taito's mood when naming the characters. ^_^;

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)