VOGONS

Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Topic actions

Reply 1040 of 3347, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

get a mac and start doing mac games from the same era. Sure the big titles are going to be the same but there were a lot of apple exclusive titles that could have some light shed on them.

#beatingadeadhorse

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 1041 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There's numerous reasons why I don't have a YouTube account, including the way they handle their policies, their lack of any real tech support, the fact that the entire system is self-policed by the viewers... the list goes on.

Plus, five of the people I've watched in the past number of years have had their YouTube accounts terminated at some point or another, one of whom is a friend of mine and her account was suspended INSTANTLY, without any warning, which is technically against YouTube policies, and she never even figured out why, so even YouTube itself seems to have problems adhering to its own rules.

I just don't want to have to put up with any of that. :P

It's not entirely about viewership anyways. For one thing, it's going to get more and more expensive to make the show as I start running out of DOS games to cover. By the end of Episode 150, I will have almost no commercial titles left which I haven't reviewed. I'd have to either go almost all freeware for a Season 4, or spend a ton of money on DOS games I don't own, many of which can be hard to find and really expensive, and I simply don't have that money to spend. (I had to save up for a few months to be able to get the beachball to do the ReBoot parody with. I wanted to get an even larger one but was running out of time and didn't have enough saved up.)

On top of all of that, a minor reason for wanting to move on is that I don't want to be a one-trick-pony as it were. I have other show ideas and I want to try them out, and since I program games as well it'd be way too difficult and time consuming to do that AND try to make two shows on a regular basis.

Besides, 50 more episodes equates to over a year of new, weekly content, so there's lots more DOS gaming to come, regardless of how many people are watching the show! :D

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 1042 of 3347, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

getting dos games is expensive?

in the last 2 weeks i've picked up three dos games. ( and sever other pre 2k ones)

XF5700 mantis - experimental fighter
Visions of aftermath: the boomtown <= i'm REALLY wanting to play this one
echelon

The last one claims it requires 384k of ram. All told, I spent about $3 each. Thanks to my local thrift stores.

That aside, I looked at the price of the BIG beach balls and I will admit, i was shocked.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 1043 of 3347, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You should pick up anything DOS-based that goes on sale for under $5 on GOG.com and stockpile them for ADG episodes :p

Also, if getting your Youtube account suspended is your main worry, then you have nothing to lose (except time I guess) by putting videos up. Honestly you're not going to get suspended, as you really go out of your way to avoid controversial content in your videos.

Reply 1044 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:
getting dos games is expensive? […]
Show full quote

getting dos games is expensive?

in the last 2 weeks i've picked up three dos games. ( and sever other pre 2k ones)

XF5700 mantis - experimental fighter
Visions of aftermath: the boomtown <= i'm REALLY wanting to play this one
echelon

The last one claims it requires 384k of ram. All told, I spent about $3 each. Thanks to my local thrift stores.

A long time ago, when I was still a young teenager, there were a plethora of video game stores in my city and places to buy used games.

Now, there's next to none. The only stores left with games are typical places, like EB Games, The Source, and a variety of department stores, and of course, they mostly sell new or overpriced used stuff. There is ONE used game store left with a huge selection, but they overprice their stuff so high it's unbelievable.

So I'm pretty much stuck buying online nowadays, which is where some of the expense comes in because if it's not on GOG or Steam or something, there will be shipping involved...

HunterZ wrote:

You should pick up anything DOS-based that goes on sale for under $5 on GOG.com and stockpile them for ADG episodes :p

I keep my eyes open for such things and already have a few games from GOG which I'll be getting to for Season 3. ;)

HunterZ wrote:

Also, if getting your Youtube account suspended is your main worry

It's not, it's just one of about a dozen. x_x;

Some more reasons: I don't have the time to moderate comments (and it looks anti-social to just universally disable commenting on videos), I don't want ads showing if I'm not going to get any money from them, speaking of, whether or not a video gets approved for monetization on YouTube is almost completely random, since from what my friends tell me, a video can get denied on the first request and aproved on the second, plus it confuses me to no end when non-explicit videos get marked as such, thus forcing people to sign up with YouTube to watch said content.

Seriously, I could go on forever about how much I don't like YouTube and could give all kinds of reasons. Obviously, people use it, people like it, that's no problem. I don't. I only go there to watch something when said video can't be watched anywhere else and I'd rather drive viewers to my own website than to YouTube. Yes, it does limit my audience, but not really as much as some people might think.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1045 of 3347, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ironic that youtube is so friendly to end-users while being so hostile to content uploaders, while blip.tv seems to be the other way around (or at least I assume it is, as both ADG and LGR upload there).

Reply 1046 of 3347, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@Gemini: definitely agreed with pretty much all your sentiments regarding youtube - the completely spurious way in which it is run and policed; content being arbitrarily flagged as "mature" and/or taken down; the overall attitude of contempt towards users and their rights; and that ninth circle of hell that is the comments system. Just saying that it seems to be the only way these days to get any appreciable number of viewers, maintain growth and ensure continued exposure... as sad as that is. Though if you're fine without it, more power to you (no sarcasm).

HunterZ wrote:

Ironic that youtube is so friendly to end-users while being so hostile to content uploaders, while blip.tv seems to be the other way around (or at least I assume it is, as both ADG and LGR upload there).

then is blip.tv hostile to end-users? How so? I've never had a single problem with it.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 1047 of 3347, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had no end of problems trying to play ADG episodes on my phone (Android) and HTPC (XBMC) for the longest time. I guess it's harder for them to inject ads when people view via methods other than a web browser, so they don't support it very well.

Fortunately XBMC 11.0 added an official (as in official XBMC, not official blip.tv) blip.tv plugin, so I can now watch ADG and LGR on the HTPC pretty painlessly. It's nice being able to watch web shows on my TV 😜

Reply 1048 of 3347, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Episodes prior to 57 cannot be viewed from the website or through the video site directly on my iPad or any other Apple-hating-Adobe-Flash product.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 1049 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VileRancour wrote:

Just saying that it seems to be the only way these days to get any appreciable number of viewers, maintain growth and ensure continued exposure... as sad as that is. Though if you're fine without it, more power to you (no sarcasm).

Actually, the fact that I've had over 200,000 total views without the aid of YouTube, running a show specificaly designed to fill a niche, is pretty impressive. Some people, even with the aid of YouTube, can't even cross into 5 digits let alone 6. ;)

Everyone Using Phones wrote:

ADG videos don't play back on my phone.

That's one of the few major downsides to the Blip platform is that they actually have extremely limited development resources compared to YouTube, and developing a video solution for Android that works on ALL Android phones has been virtually impossible for them to accomplish, as much as they want to. I've heard eMails from both sides of the working/failing coin for ADG videos on virtually identical phones, with some people being able to watch then suddenly not being able to, and some people not being able to watch and suddenly being able to. :/

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1050 of 3347, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It'll all rectify itself when blip/Vimeo/etc all get away from Flash as their video player platform.

Once they go HTML5, any device will do the trick.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 1051 of 3347, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

you make a good show and most every one i know who do videos don't mess with their YT account if they have one. That reminds me it's been a while since i watched any ADG videos might have to watch a few in my spare time.

Reply 1052 of 3347, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gemini000 wrote:

Actually, the fact that I've had over 200,000 total views without the aid of YouTube, running a show specificaly designed to fill a niche, is pretty impressive. Some people, even with the aid of YouTube, can't even cross into 5 digits let alone 6. 😉

I never aimed to make my YT Channel massive, just upload some videos once in a while and report it on sites like this. Still, I just checked and I have had my first 100k viewers 😁

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 1053 of 3347, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looks like Google just made it a bit easier to fight back when someone gets your Youtube video(s) taken down: http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20121003/164 … s-process.shtml

Reply 1054 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Filler #21 - Bubble Bobble Part 2 is online!

Yeah, it's been three weeks since the last one. That was intentional, 'cause remember I said every "2nd and 4th Saturday of the month".

The next few won't be so far apart. ;)

But yeah I was REALLY surprised when I learned just how valuable Bubble Bobble Part 2 was, because to me, it was just another typical game in my collection and nothing too special, especially considering I've had it since it was brand new. :O

So yeah, today's filler is just to take a quick look at it due to its scarcity. ^_^

...yeah... ;D

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1055 of 3347, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Chris Jones did a "Bubble Bobble 2" for DOS once.

Attachments

• bub_002.png
    Filename
    bub_002.png
    File size
    4.79 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • bub_003.png
    Filename
    bub_003.png
    File size
    5.84 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • bub_004.png
    Filename
    bub_004.png
    File size
    5.42 KiB
    Views
    File license

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 1056 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This looks like something I would've made given half the chance... when I was 10 years old. ;D

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1058 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Filler #22 - Starship Cube Master is online!

This is essentially a Minecraft project I've been working on in my spare time since early August. It started out as a test to see what it would be like to make a Star Trek styled warp nacelle, then eventually expanded into making the entire ship it was connected to! ;D

It's also not just a shell of a ship but is a fully realized Minecraft base. It's over 100 metres long, seven decks tall, nearly 100 rooms (93 last I counted, though it's REALLY hard to keep count) and I even put some control nodes in the corners outside of the ship so that if anyone wants to copy/paste it into their own world, they can do so. (Presuming this is even possible. I know it is in Minecraft Classic...)

Dunno what I'm gonna do for my next filler though. If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to make 'em here or send me an eMail. :)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1059 of 3347, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I see floating brick slabs. I thought slabs always default to the lower position. Was that updated?
At 7:45, what was that room? You got distracted just as you were going to explain it.