VOGONS

Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Topic actions

Reply 1180 of 3347, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

AAAAA!!!! I played this game into the ground and your clue was worthless! I even talked about this game on another thread here! GRR! Also 77% on the 2nd mission? For shame...

truth be told, I had more fun getting the red-shirt killed every mission. ^.^ However it results in a lower score which doesn't make sense considering how many red-shirts died in the series.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 1182 of 3347, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gemini000 wrote:

Ancient DOS Games Episode 105 - Star Trek: 25th Anniversary is online!

One of three known games to utilize the 640x200x16, "Tandy Video II" graphics mode, if anyone cares...

Reply 1183 of 3347, by lazygamereviews

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just watched it, and yeah, great video on this classic. Just have the floppy version myself, but have had no luck getting the CD.

Gemini000 wrote:

Also, Clint's latest LGR video happens to be an inventory-adventure / first-person shooter too! I swear we don't plan these coincidences! 😅
http://lazygamereviews.wordpress.com/2013/02/ … pc-game-review/

Haha, yeah, some kind of odd "same wavelength" thing going on again...

https://www.youtube.com/lazygamereviews

Reply 1184 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Filler #27 - ScummVM is online!

One of the questions I've been asked a number of times is why I never mention ScummVM when I talk about an inventory-based adventure game. Truth be told, I just didn't get around to trying it out. *shrugs*

It's not a bad program by any means. Heck, for playing old inventory-based adventure games, it's better than DOSBox for the most part, especially considering it can handle little extra things or even handle game data from versions of these games that are not DOS based.

So because of all that, and now that I've finally taken a look at this thing, I'll probably make an effort from now on to mention it whenever I cover any inventory-based adventure games ScummVM supports. ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 1185 of 3347, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ScummVM is an absolutely fantastic piece of software, I'm so glad you finally took a look at it. 😀

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 1186 of 3347, by tranoidnoki

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Totally enjoyed the Star Trek 25th Anniversary review! Have you played Judgment Rites? Although I love BOTH games, Judgment Rites to me is a more awesome game. I mean, the Museum... Man. The Museum!

Reply 1187 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I do indeed own Judgement Rights. Heck, I actually have the box for that one. And yes, the muesum mission is epic. ;D

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1188 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 106 - Aquanoid is online!

And because I'm really tired at the moment, I'll just let the episode speak for itself. :)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1189 of 3347, by tranoidnoki

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was the only one that guessed right!? I guess I finally have my name up in lights 😜

I always thought Aquanoid was a pretty decent little game. Now that you point out all of its flaws, you have kicked me right in the childhood, and I hate you.

Just kidding. I never knew about the Tilt feature. There were times I would get caught in a loop (just like you did in the very beginning of the video) I just assumed the game was stupid, and I felt like some sort of evil genius when it happened, and would go get a juice box or something. Great review as usual Kris!

Reply 1190 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 107 - Wing Commander is online...

...and there's a typo on the very first screen of text that pops up. XD

I'll probably fix this and reupload the video tomorrow. I still can't believe I missed that considering I proofed that section of the video nearly a dozen times. :P

Ah well. To make mistakes is to be Human! :D

Other than that, nothing much else to say beyond the contents of the video and the additional information underneath it. ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1191 of 3347, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's been a while since i haven't watched an ADG episode. Why? Because i just can't! I can't figure out why i cannot watch the videos, after i press play i just get the ring loading forever. Tried with different browsers, disabling plug ins... So i just stopped watching the show.

But Wing Commander? This game is part of my life now. I wanna watch the episode and i just can't.

Reply 1192 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Are you able to watch other shows hosted on Blip? If not then it's possible there's some kind of disconnect between your ISP and the Blip servers. You can also try watching the show on Blip's website itself at http://blip.tv/adg

You may also want to try updating Flash.

I've also read that AdBlocker can impact Blip's player, so try disabling that. You may need to clear your browser cache and/or restart the computer too after disabling it.

Failing all that, try getting in touch with Blip's support line at support@blip.tv and they should be able to troubleshoot everything with you better than I can.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1193 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Typo fixed! :D

Though, at least a few hundred people saw the typoed version. ^_^;

Ah well. Life goes on. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1194 of 3347, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I used software to download the actual video. That way i could watch it. I cannot watch any shows in blip, flash is updated no adblockers tried different browsers and disabling extensions and addons but still i cannot watch via browser.

I don't care about blip so i'll keep downloading videos if i want to watch your show.

Reply 1195 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No worries, if that's what you gotta do. Watching through the Blip player helps me to pay for website costs and for new DOS games to cover, but ultimately, it's up to the viewer how they want to get the most optimal experience watching my show. ;)

That said, since all of Blip doesn't work for you, you really should contact Blip's support line and work through their technical support. That way, if there's actually a problem with their system they can track it down and fix it, and then tons of people would benefit, including yourself. :)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1196 of 3347, by tranoidnoki

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey Gemini, just an FYI, at the VERY end of the videos, the copyright says "Pixemusement", not "Pixelmusement" I noticed it in this vid and the aquanoid vid, not sure how long it's been going for, figured I'd just give you a heads up!

edit: Did a quick check, it's every video from Descent II on.

Reply 1197 of 3347, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

aaawwwwww you didn't mention how well the game works on period correct hardware, ir no weird speed ups and slow downs. Wing commanders half the reason everyone on here makes retro machines.

Reply 1198 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tranoidnoki wrote:

Hey Gemini, just an FYI, at the VERY end of the videos, the copyright says "Pixemusement", not "Pixelmusement" I noticed it in this vid and the aquanoid vid, not sure how long it's been going for, figured I'd just give you a heads up!

edit: Did a quick check, it's every video from Descent II on.

*checks image file assets*

...how the heck did that even happen?? I typically update the copyright by cutting and pasting the old number with a new number. I don't even touch the rest of the text! o_O

*sigh* Guess I know what I'm gonna be doing most of next weekend... *prepares to re-render every single video for Season 3*

cdoublejj wrote:

aaawwwwww you didn't mention how well the game works on period correct hardware, ir no weird speed ups and slow downs. Wing commanders half the reason everyone on here makes retro machines.

I don't often have time to test these games on period-correct hardware, especially since I don't have the hardware to do so much of the time. (My CPU speed options are 8 MHz, 66 MHz, 100 MHz, 120 MHz, and 2 GHz.) Besides, one of the main reasons for the show is to get people playing these games again and not everyone's gonna want to go through the effort of pulling out or buying an old 386 just to play one game for a little. (Though admittedly, the number of people who WOULD do that here on VOGONS is probably substantially higher. ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)