Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Topic actions

Reply 1240 of 3355, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

I really don't think there is an excuse to NOT have a mobile phone anymore.

one perk is not having the annoyances of the world constantly up in your personal space, following you 24/7 everywhere you go. I sure do miss that sometimes.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 1241 of 3355, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ah crap... >_>;;;

I just did some math. Based on the amount of music I intended to upload, the number of fans of ADG, and the amount of bandwidth I'm allowed to use per month, if I do this music upload as intended and every ADG fan downloads every piece of music I upload, I'll exceed my website's monthly bandwidth allowance by at least 50 GB. Seriously. o_o;

And no, I can't afford the overage.

So... I need to make a tough decision. I can upgrade to an unlimited bandwidth plan for only a couple dollars more per month, but I won't be able to get this done in time for tomorrow, so I'll have to hold off on the music upload for the moment, though hopefully I can get the upgrade sorted out quickly enough and can make the upload sometime next week or the week after.

True, I could instead simply make a partial upload, like only half of the music I intended instead of all of it, but then that's still taking a chance if there's a spike in viewership after I get the whole YouTube thing sorted out.

So yeah, the music update is almost ready to go, but I need to hold off on making it for now until I can be sure the website won't disappear due to bandwidth usage. :/

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 1242 of 3355, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gemini000 wrote:
Ah crap... >_>;;; […]
Show full quote

Ah crap... >_>;;;

I just did some math. Based on the amount of music I intended to upload, the number of fans of ADG, and the amount of bandwidth I'm allowed to use per month, if I do this music upload as intended and every ADG fan downloads every piece of music I upload, I'll exceed my website's monthly bandwidth allowance by at least 50 GB. Seriously. o_o;

And no, I can't afford the overage.

So... I need to make a tough decision. I can upgrade to an unlimited bandwidth plan for only a couple dollars more per month, but I won't be able to get this done in time for tomorrow, so I'll have to hold off on the music upload for the moment, though hopefully I can get the upgrade sorted out quickly enough and can make the upload sometime next week or the week after.

True, I could instead simply make a partial upload, like only half of the music I intended instead of all of it, but then that's still taking a chance if there's a spike in viewership after I get the whole YouTube thing sorted out.

So yeah, the music update is almost ready to go, but I need to hold off on making it for now until I can be sure the website won't disappear due to bandwidth usage. 😒

You could upload the music on something like MediaFire for the time being until the bandwidth thing is sorted out. Not a great alternative but it's something to consider.

Reply 1244 of 3355, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd doubt the full set of ADG fans would download the full set of files, but understand your concern. I'm not that familiar, but there seem to be many hosting sites for bands that want to host music these days, so perhaps a solution is to find one of those, upload there and just link to it.

A few from a quick Google search...
https://tunestocloud.com/
http://freemusicarchive.org/about/
https://soundcloud.com/

Reply 1245 of 3355, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, it's not really necessary to move all of my music over to some other host. All it costs is a couple more dollars per month and I can upgrade my webhosting account to a plan that provides unlimited bandwidth. I just didn't have enough time to get this done before the intended Saturday upload, plus timing is going to be important. My PayPal account is almost bone-dry at the moment, and because I'm in Canada it takes up to eight business days to do a transfer from my bank account to my PayPal account, which is what I have to do to pay for my website normally if no ad-revenue comes in for the month.

So yeah, the music upload may be getting delayed because of this, but there's no major problems that I need help with; I'm just letting everyone know why it's not happening on-time and taking steps to get it up as soon as possible. ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1246 of 3355, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 109 - 3-D Dinosaur Adventure is online!

...and I kinda regret doing this particular program this week. >_>;

Actually, it's kinda important that I do the bad games too so people can see them and learn why they're bad. This week's game is mostly a combination of poor design, programming and voice acting decisions. The graphical aspects are the only parts that are impressive, at least for 1993.

It had some Windows revisions later on that look improved over this original program, so at least the developers learned from their mistakes... presumedly. I haven't tried either of the Windows versions but I understand the 1999 version was an award winning program so that's something at least.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1248 of 3355, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I haven't watched it yet, but: it's perfectly okay to cover poor/bad games, as long as you can come up with something insightful/useful to say about them.

Reply 1249 of 3355, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd guess the other reason it was regrettable was the other recent review of the same title, but hey, everyone loves 3d dinosaurs.

Roses only showed a few seconds of the 3d mode, hoping you cover it a bit more fully.

Update: Glad to see you left some more of the 3d action in. It was fun to fish out a pair of 3d glasses for such. The 3d was one of the major reasons this program maintained my attention for as long as it did given it's craptactularness (hrm, that has more syllables than seems reasonable, but also seems accurate here).

Looking forward to your non-education month content.

Last edited by kolano on 2013-04-06, 05:51. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 1250 of 3355, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Funny that you should mention Roses; I hadn't encountered her work before, but I coincidentally watched her enjoyable let's play of Last Half of Darkness with Clint/phreakindee this morning. Two encounters in one day is worth a youtube subscription 😀

While watching the AGD review, I kept wondering what the hitching was in the first-person gameplay. Eventually I realized is was probably Kris picking up his mouse. Having to use a mouse to move forwards/backwards is terrible!

Reply 1251 of 3355, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm now a bit interested in what the Windows versions had to offer, and if it was any different than the DOS version. I have a funny feeling they were mostly pure repackaging of the original DOS program, but would love to know more specifics.

Eyecandy: Turn your computer into an expensive lava lamp.

Reply 1252 of 3355, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, Clint told me someone else he knew was going to be reviewing this thing. I had no idea it would be so close to my own review going live though. ^_^;

This kinda stuff does happen though. I had this review planned since January and I didn't know anything at all about PushingUpRoses until just now. Also, it takes a good amount of time to make a review and her video went online just two days ago, meaning we both had to be working on our reviews simultaneously to get them out so close to each other.

Ah well. Just like with any videos, we more than likely each bring our own style and flair to this atrocity of a "game". For instance, my copy is an OEM copy that has an additional program on the disc called "Kid's Zoo". She actually has a slip-cover for her copy with lots more "humour" on it. ;)

Hmm... might be a good idea to post a link to her video in my Additional Information section all the same... *goes to do so*

In terms of the later versions, I am POSITIVE they are different from the DOS version. At least, I know the 1999 version is for sure, because it actually has some sort of island in it, higher-resolution graphics and games that don't exist in the DOS version.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1253 of 3355, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hooo boy. This thing came with our Sound Blaster + CD-ROM combo box set thing in 1994. I played it for about 10 minutes, realised it was crap, and played Rebel Assault instead.

Because HOLY CRAP OMG CD-ROM FMV GUYYYSSS!!!! PHWOAR!

Edit: Also, that's quite the mane you've grown there, professor! 😉

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 1255 of 3355, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I sent an eMail to Roses and it turns out she'd already watched my 3-D Dinosaur Adventure episode as she's known about me for qutie some time now. :D

So that turned out good. I familiarized myself with her videos too now that I know she exists. :)

As a reversal to what happened with our two videos this week, I noticed that we both did the "falling out of one's chair" gag last month in March, though for that event, my video with the gag came out first. ;)

As for replies:

SquallStrife wrote:

Edit: Also, that's quite the mane you've grown there, professor! ;)

I'm probably gonna get it cut soon. ^_^;

Scylla wrote:

I've just stumbled upon this thread.

Where have you been the rest of my life?

:D

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1256 of 3355, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I just watched your 3D Dinosaur Adventure review and all I can say is OMG OMG OMG OMG YOU'RE COVERING (moderator edit: censored! --HunterZ) 😁 😁 😁

As you can see, I love that game. 🤣

Reply 1257 of 3355, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You know, it would be nice if you edited that out... the whole idea of "send your guesses by email" works because it doesn't spoil the process for everyone, no matter how obvious you think it is. ;)

Reply 1259 of 3355, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, despite his attempt to spoil it (presuming he was right) there were already 23 guesses sent in by the time he made that post. ;D

Guesses have tapered off quite a bit though so I don't expect too many more to come in, but you never know. Only need 5 more to match the number of guesses sent in for Duke Nukem 3D and one more following to break the record! ^_^

I will note too that not all 23 guesses have been right. Just sayin'. ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)