Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Topic actions

Reply 1360 of 3347, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

*does the #1 guesser jig*

So how's the experience of creating/rendering videos on your new machine vs. the old one?

Anyhow, just take it easy... you could always take up caffeine addiction, but better keep that as plan B.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 1361 of 3347, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gemini000 wrote:

I ran into even more problems. When I tried to do pixel-accurate stuff with my new mouse, I discovered that despite its super-high resolution, it couldn't detect extremely slow movement, making it extremely difficult to do the graphics work necessary.

Have you installed the latest driver+utility software for it, and checked for DPI settings? Sometimes they run in a low DPI mode by default for compatibility reasons.

luckybob wrote:

I use one of these: http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-mice/razer-deathadder

Its actually my 2nd one. Ever since the original boomslang... Its the 2nd one because I literally WORE IT OUT. I probably went through 10 mouse pads before the mouse pads wore out.

+1 for the DeathAdder - it's very comfortable and accurate. I use one on my gaming desktop, and Blizzard used them on their demo machines at BlizzCon a few years back.

I use an old Diamondback (which is also decent but has build issues) on my laptop.

Reply 1363 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VileRancour wrote:

So how's the experience of creating/rendering videos on your new machine vs. the old one?

"Fast" :D

Rendering times from Vegas are about three times faster while VirtualDub now goes way too fast to even calculate. (Converted this week's 7-minute episode from 2400 Kbps AVI to 1600 Kbps MP4, using two compression passes, in about 1 1/2 minutes.)

HunterZ wrote:

Have you installed the latest driver+utility software for it, and checked for DPI settings? Sometimes they run in a low DPI mode by default for compatibility reasons.

The latest driver is only v1.0, not to mention I've tested the mouse on all three computers I have access to here and the same problems exist on all of them, including the mouse-driven BIOS of my new system. I have DPI set to maximum since any lower and the mouse is VERY sensitive to normal movement. (Yet still can't pick up tiny movements. :P )

robertmo wrote:

DeathAdder has two serious problems: it is heavy to move, and most important scroll button is useless as it is hard to press so kills your finger quickly...

Part of the reason I decided not to go with it. The other reason being that I'd have to spend quite a bit to get one with any sort of nifty features. (I'm not spending $80 on a mouse that only has your standard two buttons and a scroll wheel. :P ) Also, the twin rollers of the RAT 5 intrigue me and the only major complaints I've heard about it are again, build quality, which virtually EVERY mouse has complaints regarding, even the DeathAdders. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 1364 of 3347, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well any ways the cardboard they ship eggs in to fast food restaurants is basically the perfect shape for absorbing sound. Professional sound booths have a similarly shaped foam they glue to the walls. A lot of stores will let have the cardboard for free.

Reply 1365 of 3347, by tranoidnoki

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does this happen to have anything to do with the lawn mowing game that Clint reviewed that are stole your fuel?

unrelated edit: the new blip ads system sucks balls.

Last edited by tranoidnoki on 2013-05-13, 04:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1366 of 3347, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

just got around to watching the video. I LOVE text graphics games! Its what i'm going to specialize my old 8086 ibm for when I get it running.

That said, this game reminded me of one I had a long time ago. it looked IDENTICAL except you were putting out forest fires. You should review that game next. ^.^

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 1367 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just finished going through all the game suggestion eMails for the next ADG. A particular game did indeed get suggested twice, one I had my eye on for awhile, so next weekend's game has been decided! ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1368 of 3347, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just got a 90-second delay trying to watch your new ep, because I have an ad-blocker installed.

I've never ever had this before, and I've never seen an ad before one of your eps. What's up with that?

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 1369 of 3347, by Kosmonaut

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gemini000 wrote:

Just finished going through all the game suggestion eMails for the next ADG. A particular game did indeed get suggested twice, one I had my eye on for awhile, so next weekend's game has been decided! 😉

Give us a clue since we didn't get one at the end of the video 😉

Reply 1370 of 3347, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have an ad-blocker installed as well... didn't notice any delays though (nor ads, for that matter).

Kosmonaut wrote:

Give us a clue since we didn't get one at the end of the video 😉

+1

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 1371 of 3347, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SquallStrife wrote:

I just got a 90-second delay trying to watch your new ep, because I have an ad-blocker installed.

Update your filters. There's already a fix for it.

That delay/ad at the beginning really makes you think if it's that important to you to watch a particular video. I wonder if viewership across the site dropped the first day because of it.

Reply 1372 of 3347, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

AdBlock Plus on chrome? Says it was updated just hours ago... maybe they haven't added it yet.

It doesn't bother me, I just switch to another tab and do whatever until I hear that the video has started! 😜

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 1375 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Every once in awhile something goes wrong with one of Blip's ads and it can break the system for everyone with videos that will show said ad. The mid-roll disappeared not long after the latest ADG went online, and in fact, disappeared before Blip could even get back to me about it, so they didn't even see it there, but they said they'll keep their eyes open in case such a thing pops up again.

Blip's a much smaller company than YouTube so it stands to reason that it takes them longer to notice and fix problems, but they also have person-to-person tech support, so whenever there's a problem you send them a tech support message and a real person investigates and gets back to you. :)

I wasn't really gonna give a hint for this week's episode, primarily because I didn't know how long it would take for the same game to be requested twice. If you guys MUST have a hint, then... geeze... I dunno... how about: Midgard

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1376 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 113 - God of Thunder is online!

Only a few hours late this time. I should be fully caught up by next episode since it won't be for a couple weeks! ;)

This was actually the only game to get suggested twice, so I'm glad something was, otherwise I'd've had to come up with some other way to choose which game to cover. Still, it was a good choice because I wanted to cover this game eventually, though having never played it before I didn't realize how short it was. (Though really, it's only short when you know exactly how to get through it. Some of the puzzles are VERY hard.)

Since I don't have to rush to get an episode out next week, I'll be taking the time to finally get the YouTube stuff going. I'll also be uploading a video exclusive to YouTube just to talk about why I'm starting a YouTube channel and to discuss what exactly I'll be doing with it. Blip will remain my primary means of video uploading, so people wanting to catch my episode freshly uploaded so they can be the first to send in guesses should continue to watch from my website or from my Blip channel. YouTube uploads will follow immediately after the Blip upload is completed, though that will be after I get ALL episodes on Blip transfered over to YouTube... which may take a few weeks since I don't want to do it all at once and end up with episodes out of order due to upload errors or whatnot.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1377 of 3347, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Gemini000: I wonder if you will ever review Fuck Quest. Which I highly doubt, cause you would never curse on your show. But nice lovely review about God Of Thunder. But Mjölnir is the hammer ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mj%C3%B6lnir ) I doubt the Odin-sleep. Cause (unless I am wrong). I can NOT remember one story, where Odin needed that particular sleep. But Loki is not an Æsir ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aesir ) , in fact he is a Jötunn ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%B6tunn ) . And Thor is the God of thunder.

Reply 1378 of 3347, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Upload order isn't too important on Youtube, at least when doing a bunch of uploads around the same time.

As far as I know, there are only 3 meaningful ways to denote order in a sequence of videos on Youtube:
1. Put the episode number in the title (this is a basic must-have).
2. Put the episodes in a playlist (really nice for watching the videos in batches, and for channels with multiple series).
3. Mark each video as a response to the previous video (no reason to do this given the existence of playlists).

Don't forget to post a link to your channel here and/or on your web site 😀

Reply 1379 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
WolverineDK wrote:

Gemini000: I wonder if you will ever review Fuck Quest. Which I highly doubt, cause you would never curse on your show.

Yeah. Probably not gonna happen just because of the name. ;D

WolverineDK wrote:

But Mjölnir is the hammer

That's indeed what I said. ;)

WolverineDK wrote:

I doubt the Odin-sleep. Cause (unless I am wrong). I can NOT remember one story, where Odin needed that particular sleep.

It's common in works of fiction, but yeah, I don't think it's mentioned anywhere in actual Norse mythology. :P

WolverineDK wrote:

But Loki is not an Æsir ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aesir ) , in fact he is a Jötunn ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%B6tunn )

Yup. Again, part of the reason why I said right at the start that I doubted the story followed actual Norse mythology. I was quoting what the game's story told me. ;P

HunterZ wrote:

Don't forget to post a link to your channel here and/or on your web site

Don't worry. ;)

All the embedded players on my website will remain Blip-driven, but I plan to add YouTube links to each page for people who prefer to watch on YouTube. Each video on YouTube will also link back to my website in the description to let them know where to find additional information and corrections related to an episode.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)