Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Topic actions

Reply 1480 of 3353, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:
Like this gem in Jamagic (the flopped overhyped 3d attempt at Click & Create i'm sure Gemini once followed at one point) […]
Show full quote

Like this gem in Jamagic (the flopped overhyped 3d attempt at Click & Create i'm sure Gemini once followed at one point)

Looser.png

Don't think I really wanna know how the game's supposed to make you "looser". But for the player's sake, I hope that the "dampener" from Kris's post is an option. *shudders*

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 1481 of 3353, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

While on the subject, I remember a LONG time ago a racing game so bad it made daikatana look good. it spawned this image: yourewinner-38601.jpg

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 1482 of 3353, by P4R4D0X

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I remember that racing game. It's called Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing. The game is made by the devil. Full of bugs and glitches, stupid AI, broken physics and more. There are several mods out there which try to make the game much more enjoyable. There's one on Newgrounds by Kogey, and several other ones on YouTube by other people. The developers left the PSD file so that can be easily edited.

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1068319
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzY2KLiEyjs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc0x3pA--_0

But wait there's Depth Dwellers from TriSoft. That has an awesome ending screen too. Not sure if many of you remember this bad Doom clone.

dos4gw_000.png
Filename
dos4gw_000.png
File size
1.15 KiB
Views
File comment
YOU ARE AWSOME !!
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1483 of 3353, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I parodied that screen in ADG Episode 42, with a "Blame Depth Dwellers" tag as well... and I still got an eMail saying I didn't spell it right. XD

I've wanted to cover Depth Dwellers for awhile now, but it's a painful game to play because of how BORING it is. I'm still trying to think of some way to make it at least tolerable enough for viewers to sit through, and I can't simply pretend its linked to economic troubles due to the creators being involved with government agencies because Clint already did that. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 1484 of 3353, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:
it's not as bad as abuse of the word loose. Like this gem in Jamagic (the flopped overhyped 3d attempt at Click & Create i'm su […]
Show full quote

it's not as bad as abuse of the word loose. Like this gem in Jamagic (the flopped overhyped 3d attempt at Click & Create i'm sure Gemini once followed at one point)

Looser.png

Yes, I see people transpose 'loose' and 'lose' all the time and it really irritates me. That, and when people use 'oriented' and 'orientated' incorrectly Whenever I see that it serves as a reminder of how dumbed down the educational system has become.

Reply 1485 of 3353, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
VileRancour wrote:

Don't think I really wanna know how the game's supposed to make you "looser".

It was a 3d tank game where you drove some tank up slopes (it doesn't even tilt) and you try to blow the other tank with dumbfire missiles found in crates that spawn. You can also fall out of the land and into the void. It's a bit BigRigsy in physics. Given the ClickTeam origin the sounds are all recycled from Klik & Play and Games Factory...

the only good game with Jamagic that played like a game was that rather unauthorized (and horribly '1999 photoshop' cheesy) Shufflepuck 3D. There's a terrible "Pac 3D" game in there too that plays a creepy sound when you start a level with a horrifying looking PacMan......

Attachments

• Themenu.jpg
    Filename
    Themenu.jpg
    File size
    62.88 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 1486 of 3353, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 121 - Echelon is online!

...actually, my original intent wasn't to rip off Dr. Ashens at all, but I really have seem to have misplaced my white towel. All I can find are my navy blue towles, my brown towel, and my lavender towel. x_x;

I even went through Dad's towels and couldn't find any white ones. :(

Oh well. I got to emulate Dr. Ashens in a fun way so that's now two of my favourite web show artists who I've paid tribute to, the other being Lewis Lovhaug of Atop the 4th Wall. :)

I'll sneak in some more when I find good ways to do it without doing it just because I can.

And why am I talking about all of this instead of the game I covered? ...because the game is BEYOND BORING. x_x;;;

...Ironically, Jim warned me that was going to happen... :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1488 of 3353, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:

White towel?
Dr. Ashens?
I don't follow.

In prior episodes, I've done unboxings with a white towel as a backdrop... most of the time. Daggerfall was an exception.

Dr. Ashens is this guy here, who constantly reviews stuff with his hands and sarcasm on a brown sofa: http://www.ashens.com

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1489 of 3353, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A co-founder of MobyGames watches your show? Cool!

The PC Speaker sound is pretty impressive for a late '80s DOS game. There are a good number of '80s games that I remember using digitized PC speaker sounds/music (Mach 3, Axe of Rage / Deathsword 2, Wizardry 6 & 7, Dungeon Master) but I can't think of any that can do it without using all of the CPU while the sounds/music are playing.

I think I may have been vaguely aware of the 2001 Echelon game, but I've never seen this DOS one.

Reply 1491 of 3353, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HunterZ wrote:

A co-founder of MobyGames watches your show? Cool!

*nods* Trixter's been watching for awhile now and we've debated quite a bit on various topics of video creation... We actually disagree on more things than we agree on! XD

He does a ton of demoscene stuff too, which is the main focus of his blog: http://trixter.oldskool.org/

A couple months back, he pulled off some slick coding with a PCjr to achieve a "World First" credit, something that means nothing to most of us, but to demoscene coders, is a highly notable thing. It's a pretty impressive demo too, ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs1oJOlPqMM ), especially when you consider the hardware it's running on! ;)

He also keeps tabs on Clint's and Roses' stuff too and I'm pretty sure he gave some games to them as well... dunno which games though. We may yet find out. ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1493 of 3353, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gemini000 wrote:
SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:

White towel?
Dr. Ashens?
I don't follow.

In prior episodes, I've done unboxings with a white towel as a backdrop... most of the time. Daggerfall was an exception.

Dr. Ashens is this guy here, who constantly reviews stuff with his hands and sarcasm on a brown sofa: http://www.ashens.com

You're an Ashens fan as well? Awesome! I love that guy. 😁

Reply 1494 of 3353, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 122 - Doom II: Hell on Earth is online!

...yeah, everyone knew I'd be covering this game. ;D

...and while I was typing out some problems I was having with the standard-def file that was converted on Blip, the problem fixed itself. Blip can be weird like that sometimes I've noticed: The instant you upload something there can be weird problems that correct themselves after a minute or ten. *shrugs*

Whereas YouTube instead just asks you to prove you have commercial use rights to videos that are 99% live-footage of yourself. >_>;

(Yeah seriously, they just pulled that on Filler #5 a couple days ago... still waiting on their "verdict" about that one...)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1495 of 3353, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Funny story, I actually remember one of my friends telling me a few years back that he literally had nightmares about the arch-vile when he was a kid. As a result, his mother made him uninstall Doom II. 🤣 I can totally see though why that enemy could be considered the epitome of nightmare fuel to some people.

Reply 1497 of 3353, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Aaah Doom II brings back good memories 😀 Also I feel quite lucky, that I got Doom Collectors Edition (the CD with Ultimate Doom, Doom II and so forth) for less than 2 dollars 😁

Reply 1498 of 3353, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

More of a Doom 1 story, but I remember having to play it at my dad's office on weekends when it first came out because our 286 couldn't run it.

By the time I got a hold of Doom 2, we had a 386DX-33 that ran it pretty well. When we built a 486DX4-120 a couple years late, I built a null-modem serial cable so that my brother and I could play Doom, Descent, etc. together.

BTW, I highly recommend checking out "Brutal Doom", which is a mod that runs with most official Doom games under any of the ZDoom family of source ports. It adds a lot of gore but also adds ironsights and some other neat features that make the gameplay feel a bit more modern and help to balance out the weapons (pistol is replaced with a semi-automatic assault rifle, for example, which is useful for sniping due to ironsights).

Reply 1499 of 3353, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A few things:

The Doom / Wolfenstein / Commander Keen connection - Commander Keen (Billy Blaze)'s clones are being tortured as an act of revenge against his grandfather, B.J. Blazkowicz. In Wolfenstein RPG B.J. fights the Harbinger which later would become the Cyberdemon.

The Revenants have twin shoulder mounted rocket launchers. I don't get why you called the rockets eyeballs.