Reply 1920 of 3346, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
F2bnp wrote:
Gemini000 wrote:
RadioPoultry wrote:

I've not played BioForge, but the controls, as described, remind me of Twinsen's Odyssey. Between the controls and my compatibility issues, I don't know how I finished that game. (I still kind of liked that one, though.)

Oh geeze... rest assured, the Twinsen games will get their time on the show at some point or another. Their overall design combined with the way they play has always made me curious who the intended audience was. >_>;

Tread lightly, you're on a thin line after saying such things :lol:

Livin' on the edge! ...of a knife blade.... or something... XD

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 1921 of 3346, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

🤣

Jokes aside, I can see why you wouldn't like the Twinsen games. I grew up with LBA2, so I absolutely love it, but LBA1 has some horrid design choices (like taking damage from running on walls...). I thought LBA2 improved upon the original in every way. I'd love to see what you have to say on those games!

Reply 1922 of 3346, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think AitD probably gets more of a pass because it was more original at the time it came out. As far as I know there was nothing quite like it at the time.

Reply 1923 of 3346, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Pretty much. I love AitD. I beat it for the first time a few months ago and had a blast. It can still be a little creepy at times, although obviously you have to get really immersed to get that feeling. It looks so funny nowadays 😀.

Reply 1924 of 3346, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
F2bnp wrote:

Jokes aside, I can see why you wouldn't like the Twinsen games.

Good thing you said "wouldn't" instead of "don't", since I never actually said I didn't like them, just that I don't understand who those games were made for. I don't have a ton of experience with them, even though I own them both, (including a physical copy of the second game), but every time I've tried to play them in the past I make lots of progress through combinations of potentially disturbing things yet cutesy graphics and dialogue, then get murdered by the first things I have to fight or die trying to get past holes and jumping puzzles. >_>;

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1925 of 3346, by temptingthelure

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gemini000 wrote:
Just got the milestone video up on YouTube... and of course, hit by Content-ID because of the video footage of the title sequenc […]
Show full quote

Just got the milestone video up on YouTube... and of course, hit by Content-ID because of the video footage of the title sequence for The Sims 3. >_>;

...honestly, because I'm getting numerous times more money from Patreon supporters than from ad revenue I don't really care to stress over the YouTube system anymore. If any videos get hit by Content-ID in the future yet are still watchable following (and the match wasn't completely erroneous) I'm just acknowledging it and adding side notes into the video description that it happened and that the revenue for any ads shown aren't going to me but to someone else. (Even non-monetized videos hit by Content-ID may have ads shown, with the revenue going towards the claimant.)

Ironically, knowing what I know about Google now... I think they WANT the system to be more friendly to content producers, but have their hands tied because of the DMCA and other such ridiculousness. I was reading their latest Content-ID policies and have noticed just from the wording and extra options available now for claimants that they're making an effort to discourage people/companies from using Content-ID to completely block/mute videos, even though those options are still available.

EDIT (just a few minutes later): ...and I just went to go back to recording footage for ADG and noticed that none of the past three hours of gameplay were captured for some reason even though I KNOW I hit CTRL+ALT+F5 properly... yet there's a screenshot in my capture folder from before I started playing...

*sigh*

How much money are you making thru patreon? Enough to quit your job and retire to the Bahamas?

Rise of the Triad modding site!
http://rott.s4.bizhat.com

Reply 1926 of 3346, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
temptingthelure wrote:

How much money are you making thru patreon? Enough to quit your job and retire to the Bahamas?

Just watched his video update about it earlier today. Sounds like he got $200 in a month, which is pretty cool.

I thought it was neat how Kris plugged fellow video creators that have supported him in one way or another. I went and watched SquallStrife's interesting Thexder video because of that 😜

Reply 1927 of 3346, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
temptingthelure wrote:

You can actually check the number directly on my Patreon account: http://www.patreon.com/kasick

Granted, even if I was getting extremely huge amounts of money (go check out Clint's Patreon account for LGR for a good contrast of what's possible) I wouldn't be able to retire from doing anything because that money only comes in because people enjoy the videos I make (or possibly some of the other stuff I do too) and want to be extra generous towards ensuring more get made, thus if I stopped making videos, that money would likely disappear too. :P

And I don't have a day job. I suffer from a sleeping disorder that makes holding a job for any length of time virtually impossible. Part of the reason why I ended up moving back in with my father for the time being while I try to get other things going beyond making videos.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1928 of 3346, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wow some serious $$$$ to be made. Living the dream, living from what you love to do. I always thought it was peanuts but what do you know...

Have you thought about doing programming shows / tutorials?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 1929 of 3346, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Wow some serious $$$$ to be made. Living the dream, living from what you love to do. I always thought it was peanuts but what do you know...

A few thousand peanuts grouped together makes for a lot of food. :3

...damnit, now I'm hungry. XD

What matters the most to me though is that people enjoy the stuff I make! Don't get me wrong, the money-side of things is really freaking amazing and is going to be what enables me to live a decent life in the long run, but stuff like that can't happen if you're not doing your creative projects justice, and if you're just in it for the money then it shows in the way you word things, in the way you lay things out, etc., and people don't enjoy that, myself included.

Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Have you thought about doing programming shows / tutorials?

I have... it's not a terrible idea but I don't think I could do such a series nearly as well as I do ADG given the way I code and everything.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1930 of 3346, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gemini000 wrote:

Ancient DOS Games Episode 142 - BioForge is online!

I hate that style of controls in a third-person game. Resident Evil and Parasite Eve spring to mind as two more games with the same control scheme, and that also would have been more enjoyable without it.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 1931 of 3346, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OK... this is annoying. I just tried resuming uploads to YouTube only to find my video and audio desynced by a full second. x_x;

I thought maybe YouTube screwed something up but I just discovered the video data itself that I'm trying to upload is bugged up. I don't understand why as the process I used to make these conversions is identical to how I did it for the first couple batches of YouTube conversions. :(

*sigh* ...YouTube uploads still on hold as I try to sort this mess out. :/

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1932 of 3346, by Relicc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I only played the Demo of Bioforge when it was out in 95/96, but I loved that first room. I got to play the entire thing about a year or so ago. I actually thought it was pretty good, which is why I voted to have it reviewed. I didn't seem to have the same problems with the interface you did, but then again everyone I know tells me the X-Com interface sucks and I love it. Maybe I'm just weird. 😀

Reply 1935 of 3346, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gemini000 wrote:

I have zero interest in the Resident Evil series. As for Alone in the Dark, it's in the top 10 most requested games now so I'll definitely be getting to it sooner or later. 😉

HunterZ wrote:

I thought of Alone in the Dark too when Kris described the controls.

See, the funny thing is that even though controls like that really don't belong in a fixed camera angles game, they're not THAT bad so long as they actually work and you can move around acceptably enough. In BioForge they're slow to respond, occasionally DON'T, and finicky when you want to try and run, so it just makes an already awkward control system annoying. 😜

If you ever do a review of AitD be sure to use ripsaw8080's patch (loader). Otherwise you will have either difficulty running or slow frame rate.

Reply 1936 of 3346, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HunterZ wrote:

Where does review voting take place?

I'm mostly going by YouTube thumbs ups vs. thumbs downs. Episode 60 is SIGNIFICANTLY different in that category than every other video I've uploaded so far. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1937 of 3346, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gemini000 wrote:

I'm mostly going by YouTube thumbs ups vs. thumbs downs.

I didn't know your videos were also at Youtube. But I only see until ~80, have I looked at the wrong channel?

Reply 1938 of 3346, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
konc wrote:
Gemini000 wrote:

I'm mostly going by YouTube thumbs ups vs. thumbs downs.

I didn't know your videos were also at Youtube. But I only see until ~80, have I looked at the wrong channel?

I'm still catching up on YouTube. I was all set to get back to it earlier this week and then annoyingness happened and now I have to figure out what went wrong, set up all the re-conversions all over again, and then be prepped to start uploading again. :/

TBH: I really don't like the YouTube system, but I know lots of people prefer it, plus because of Blip policies it's more suitable for me to upload my future archived livestreams to YouTube instead of to Blip, but those should be the only videos that end up exclusively on YouTube.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1939 of 3346, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gemini000 wrote:

TBH: I really don't like the YouTube system, but I know lots of people prefer it, plus because of Blip policies it's more suitable for me to upload my future archived livestreams to YouTube instead of to Blip, but those should be the only videos that end up exclusively on YouTube.

Sounds odd... what are blip's rules on that?

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread