Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Topic actions

Reply 3100 of 3104, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gemini000 wrote on 2020-02-08, 08:34:

Ancient DOS Games Episode 263 - XF5700 Mantis Experimental Fighter is online!

At first, I was kinda surprised I'd never heard of this game, then I played it for this review... then I wasn't surprised anymore. It's not that the game is bad, far from it, it's just... very, very, average.

At least we get a good unboxing out of this video! 😀

What format did they use for the FMV scenes? Animated GIF?

DOSBox-X project: more emulation better accuracy.
DOSLIB and DOSLIB2: Learn how to tinker and hack hardware and software from DOS.

Reply 3101 of 3104, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gemini000 wrote on 2020-02-08, 08:34:

I wonder how far you got while playing the game. At one point you defeat the Sirians and the rest of the game you fight the Rexum Empire. I thought the game was rather easy until then. I just loaded up on missiles and targeted the stronger ships first. Making sure that I was always getting more kills than my wingmen. However once the plot switched over the difficulty spiked until the missions were completely unwinnable.

Reply 3102 of 3104, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SKARDAVNELNATE wrote on 2020-02-08, 21:10:

I wonder how far you got while playing the game. At one point you defeat the Sirians and the rest of the game you fight the Rexum Empire. I thought the game was rather easy until then. I just loaded up on missiles and targeted the stronger ships first. Making sure that I was always getting more kills than my wingmen. However once the plot switched over the difficulty spiked until the missions were completely unwinnable.

Not THAT far. I think I stopped around Mission 20-something because it didn't feel like I was getting much in the way of useful footage anymore given how similar everything was up to that point. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 3103 of 3104, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a copy of this game and I was excited to pull it off the shelf. I knew I had the 5.25 version, and I opened the box to see a slip of paper proclaiming the speech pack is "coming soon". I was also sad to learn I am missing the keybinding chart and manual.

drat.

it does have a plethora of other slips of paper, advertising everything under the sun. oh well.

edit, now that I'm dwelling on this game, and I have it handy, it only has 11 5.25 floppies, yes?

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 3104 of 3104, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Filler #80 - Volumetric 3D Rendering is online!

This has been in my queue for awhile now, but I kept losing track of my old QuickBASIC code so I kept pushing it back more and more. I've actually been wanting to do a video on this since 2014! :O

But yeah, one of the things I find interesting is the concept of rendering three-dimensional objects out of mathematical constructs, and so I wrote a program way back in 2008 to investigate the process, then discovered Ken Silverman's "EvalDraw" program not long following, though never really experimented with it as much as I should've because I was too entranced by the numerous examples included with it! :B

So this video first goes over my own stuff, followed by a showcase of a tiny number of things EvalDraw comes with, followed by my attempts to convert my old volumetric code into the EvalDraw format!

Also...

luckybob wrote on 2020-02-09, 20:47:

edit, now that I'm dwelling on this game, and I have it handy, it only has 11 5.25 floppies, yes?

I have no idea. Sorry. :/

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg