VOGONS

Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Topic actions

Reply 2300 of 3347, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's annoying. One issue with cloud providers, they can shut down at any time. I noticed that some of my older posts, under my old user name, don't have working images any more. I believe I used Imageshack back then. Same could happen to imgur. Quite a worry.

This could be something that some clever internet start-up could develop a product for. Some sort of dynamically linked content system. Keeping content and links alive, regardless of where the actual content is stored. I'm having similar concerns with my website, hosted by weebly. I went with weebly because I like thins super simple, allowing to focus on the content rather than struggle with technology. But the website can't be easily "exported" or moved to another provider.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2301 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Since day one of my website being online, way back before the turn of the century, I develop my website locally and simply upload files to my hosting provider for each update. This way, if anything goes wrong and I have to switch over to a new host, ALL content will remain intact. Since getting the pixelships.com domain name in 2000, so long as I always have that domain name, any files or images I link to externally will always function, even if I change hosts, as the directory format for my website wouldn't change across hosts. :B

It's too bad the WayBack Machine only goes back to 2003. My website had three other design iterations before that one even. My current design though is very easy to maintain and update so it probably won't change again for quite awhile. ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 2302 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 160 - Spiritual Warfare is online!

And now, I'm gonna fall asleep at the keyboard having been up for over 18 hours straight. Goodnihrtg93re

...zzzzzzzzzzzzz...

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 2304 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:

What does God need with a raft?
If he really is a god, let him fight his own battles.

Well, if we did that, we wouldn't have much of a game then, would we? ;D

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 2306 of 3347, by switchblade

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've checked out your YouTube page, Kris, and it looks like you've managed to upload every single one of your episodes on there. I have noticed some broken thumbnail images on some of the videos, though.

I guess with Blip shutting down, you might rethink about taking advantage of that 60 FPS option in future YouTube videos? Not trying to push things, but that suggestion is still available to use. 😉

Reply 2307 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
switchblade wrote:

I've checked out your YouTube page, Kris, and it looks like you've managed to upload every single one of your episodes on there. I have noticed some broken thumbnail images on some of the videos, though.

I guess with Blip shutting down, you might rethink about taking advantage of that 60 FPS option in future YouTube videos? Not trying to push things, but that suggestion is still available to use. ;)

In terms of the broken thumbnails, I'm at a loss as to what to do about it. The videos they're broken on show up as working when I go to edit, and yet show up as not working everywhere else. If I change the thumbnail it stays not working everywhere else. For the interim, they're just gonna have to stay broken. :(

As for the 60 FPS support, we'll see. I have to learn more about the specifics so that I can make sure everything's formatted perfectly and I'm not sure when I'll be able to find time to do that. I'll probably learn on my feet once I get around to livestream uploads, as some of those were at 60 FPS.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 2308 of 3347, by IO.SYS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Gemini000, i've been fan of your series for some time now. Almost all retro channels in the web are console related, very few are dedicated for early PC and early Windows (3.11 & 95) games. Not to say that Commodore Amiga channels are pretty much nonexistent, and that's a sad fact. (And by that I mean, someone who will review an Amiga game each week. Not just technical stuff.)

Another thing which I like about your series, it's the serious in-depth documentary style of your reviews, and also avoiding dull comedy remarks to satisfy newcomers. Games today became so realistic without any room for imagination. A typical triple A game is a rendition of random Hollywood Action flick script, with intrusive DRM restrictions, and with very limited Single Player if any (luckily for us, good unique indie games are flourishing). Games in the early 90s were very technologically limited which makes them, ironically, more creative and allow the players to use their imagination to fill the "gaps". Same thing can be say when comparing films to books.

And I know, you don't do too much Adventure games, but i'll be glad if you'll review Normality in some point. The game is an overlooked masterpiece! And make a filler of Windows 3.11 games (real games designed specifically for the system like Entombed or Myst, not shovelware), that will be great!

Anyway keep up the good work!

Reply 2309 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

VERY odd... pixelships.com isn't working right now, but pixelmusement.com is... what's very odd about this is that even though HTTP access isn't working, FTP access still is, so it's not like the domain name doesn't exist and doesn't go where it's supposed to... I've contacted my webhosting provider to try and find out what's up. For the interim, anyone trying to access my site should go through pixelmusement.com instead of pixelships.com. :P

EDIT: Wait... "www.pixelships.com" is what's not working, yet "pixelships.com" is...??????????

IO.SYS wrote:

Another thing which I like about your series, it's the serious in-depth documentary style of your reviews, and also avoiding dull comedy remarks to satisfy newcomers.

I try to inject a LITTLE bit of comedy, such as always showing something weird at the start of episodes, showing a quote that has something to do with the game in question, and sometimes just having fun with the source material, but yes, for the most part, I go as technical as I can. ;)

IO.SYS wrote:

And I know, you don't do too much Adventure games, but i'll be glad if you'll review Normality in some point.

Err...

http://www.pixelmusement.com/adg/ep0026.html

...I already have. ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 2310 of 3347, by IO.SYS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gemini000 wrote:

🤣 I didn't realize you actually reviewed it.

Anyway, finished watched it now (and also finished a glass bottle of coke while watching). I need to dwell someday in the earlier episodes, see some reviews I missed. Probably, when I have more spare time in my early 30s life of mine 😀 .

Reply 2311 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

...and now www.pixelships.com is working again despite not hearing back from tech support yet. *shakes head* Very strange how the www version of my domain cut out for a period of time and came back all on its own while the non-www address worked fine. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 2313 of 3347, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gemini000 wrote:

...and now http://www.pixelships.com is working again despite not hearing back from tech support yet. *shakes head* Very strange how the www version of my domain cut out for a period of time and came back all on its own while the non-www address worked fine. 😜

Most probably some temporary DNS issue, not necessarily from your hosting, maybe it was from your ISP and both versions were always visible for the rest of us.

Reply 2314 of 3347, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

quick word that your favorite educational platformer is coming to Steam in a typical irresponsible Interceptor manner and is most likely a "DOSBox v0.70 with bad unadjustable settings" repack.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2315 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

quick word that your favorite educational platformer is coming to Steam in a typical irresponsible Interceptor manner and is most likely a "DOSBox v0.70 with bad unadjustable settings" repack.

It's actually only being solid as part of the Anthology pack that 3D Realms was selling directly on their own before now, so I imagine what you get on Steam will be very similar to what 3D Realms offers... TBH though, I don't know what they do with their anthology pack. I didn't buy it when it first debuted because I already owned many of the games included. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 2317 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

It's poor taste to only have an edutainment game available as part of a bundle with violent M games anyway. hence the irresponsible thing

Fair enough. :B

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 2318 of 3347, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

It's poor taste to only have an edutainment game available as part of a bundle with violent M games anyway. hence the irresponsible thing

I see what you're saying but I disagree.

It's sold as a nostalgia item to 25+ year olds, not as an edutainment product.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 2319 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 161 - MegaRace 2 is FINALLY online! :D

Pretty soon, I'll be going to bed, will wake up, will go with Dad to sign insurance papers and give copies to the offices at the building we'll be in, come home and pack what few things I brought with me, then on Thursday morning, we go to the storage unit along with the same guys who helped us out before and retrieve a decent portion of our stuff to move into our new apartment! :)

It's actually a decent size with the design sacrificing some living room space in exchange for larger bedrooms. Dad's bedroom is actually almost as big as the living room, with mine being not much smaller! :o

But, I consider this temporary lodging as I'm only taking about a third of my stuff out of storage. Video game consoles, old artwork, and a number of toys like my marble and LEGO stuff will be staying put. In a couple months, my secret game project will be ready to go and depending on how much support and interest it generates I could find myself financially independent again VERY quickly... or it could end up flopping hard. Either way, time will tell. ;)

Also, a couple other notes: I figured out how to utilize YouTube's 60p support, so yes, this latest ADG episode IS using it! You have to watch in HD though to get 60 FPS. I've also converted all but one embed on my website over to YouTube. Let me know if I messed any of them up. The only one I couldn't convert over yet is the bloopers video for Filler #5 as I don't have access to my backup DVDs yet, so I'll be updating that one sometime next week.

Whew... too much life all at once... I'm already ready for my end-of-year break! :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)