VOGONS

Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Topic actions

Reply 81 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah... This is what happens when you have sleeping issues and end up needing to go to bed five hours before the usual update time. So I could've been five hours early or at least three hours late. I chose five hours early. ;)

So as is obvious by now, Ancient DOS Games Episode 29 - Mystic Towers is online!

I'm actually fairly surprised by the nudity later in this game. I mean, I was playing this game as a kid and was seriously considering buying the registered version way back in 1996 when I first played it. It's a similar feeling to when you get through Bionic Commando on the NES, since Nintendo was censoring the heck out of everything to come out on their little grey box... and yet they completely missed getting to watch Hitler's head explode. (Or let it slide because of the sheer awesomeness of that. ;)

I'm gonna be taking a break from my standard ADG duties for the next couple weeks. Regularlly scheduled ADG episodes will resume on January 8th. Instead, I'm gonna put a couple fillers up during these holiday weeks, one to discuss DOSBox configuration settings and another about how to work with the DOS command prompt, two things I'm sure most of us here on VOGONS know how to deal with but it'll be good for anyone who doesn't like working with either of those, or hasn't yet and is thinking about checking out old DOS games.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 82 of 3343, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ah Mystic Towers.... nice one I was playing it as a youngster too.... but nudity? where? I watched the video too did not spot any 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 83 of 3343, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gemini000 wrote:

So as is obvious by now, Ancient DOS Games Episode 29 - Mystic Towers is online!

How does saving work in this game? Does it only keep track of which towers you've beaten, or can you save/load at any time? etc.

Reply 84 of 3343, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Great video! Well done and keep up the fantastic work 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 85 of 3343, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

but nudity? where? I watched the video too did not spot any 🤣

He said later levels in the game which he wasn't going to show for that reason. I noticed one of the paintings on the wall had been blurred out.

Reply 86 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HunterZ wrote:

How does saving work in this game? Does it only keep track of which towers you've beaten, or can you save/load at any time? etc.

You can save at any point you want by pressing F2 and resume from exactly that point. You can load a save game from mid-game or when starting a new game.

Saving's only necessary when doing a full quest cycle through all 12 towers to see the story sequences and make a high score, since you can practice any single tower you want to at any time.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 89 of 3343, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wd wrote:

If you need tits, google them.

Naah, tits are good. But why all that censorship stuff ? Cause to me, there is SO much unnecessary censorship, such as the "accidental" nipple slip, that ended up "shocking" so many people , in comparison to people getting shot and bombed to pieces without any kind of censoring, cause to me over there, then they should loosen their grip. And let a fucking nipple slip pass through, and so with the curse words. But thank goodness I live in a country where we are so laid back, that it is only three TV channels(which are being broadcast from the UK so they are under UK censorship bollocks laws), and three viasat channels (TV3 , TV3 + and TV3 Puls) that censors tits and curses. Seriously, if you ask me. Then a child would take more damage from violence, than a curse or a tit. Or if we have to go medical on it, then the showing of a breast on a woman, should not be censored. Also I believe I have already mentioned that I am against censoring the free speech. But I am not against people getting punished , when they utter either hateful , racist or for that matter LGBT phobic stuff. Cause that is what people can be punished here for. So wake up, there are worse things, than accidental nipple slips, and a pixelated breast or vagina to worry about, that can hurt children.

Last edited by WolverineDK on 2010-12-20, 14:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 90 of 3343, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's an alien conspiracy. Plan is to eventually stop us from breeding but to keep us fighting. Good plan.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 91 of 3343, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote:

It's an alien conspiracy. Plan is to eventually stop us from breeding but to keep us fighting. Good plan.

Have you been smoking the green stuff ? 🤣, I told you that you should rather smoke Black Nepal.

Reply 92 of 3343, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think Gemini's choice to censor the image was fine. His show so far has been what would be called "family friendly" here in the U.S., with sensitivity shown towards both violence and nudity. While I have no problem with such things myself, I feel that his approach is very professional and allows me to recommend the show to anyone without having to worry about whether they might be offended by something.

Reply 93 of 3343, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

HunterZ: I know that, and as I have said in a few posts, I like his show. But I miss some .. let us call it "maturity" to it. The maker of the "old" video game show Retrocore/RTC (Yakumo, even though I know his real name which I withhold) who is a guy from Liverpool, now living in Japan. Used some colourful language so to speak, and I some times miss that kind of stuff in some online shows. I mean, Troldspejlet which is a videogame show in Denmark on DR1, has no censoring of words (in the games) when he reviews games, so the whole "protect the ears" attitude is rubbing me the wrong, and I began watching the Danish show, many years ago, when the Amiga has its glory when it came to games. Cause freedom and expression means a lot to me, and maybe that is why it just IRKS a lot about the censoring of stuff. Cause just think about it, what would hurt the most, seeing a zombie from Left4Dead getting its head shot off, or would 320X240 ega/vga pixelated breasts hurt the most ?

Reply 94 of 3343, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The answer to your question depends on what culture you come from. Here in the U.S., violence is more tolerated and/or less "shocking" than nudity. In Europe my understanding is that it is generally the other way around.

Gemini seems to be making an attempt to be sensitive to both viewpoints, which I think takes a respectable amount of thought and/or restraint.

Reply 95 of 3343, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/20/inte … o_n_799034.html

Think of the children Wolverine!

😉

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 96 of 3343, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
WolverineDK wrote:

I am just getting so tired of the whole "I got to cover my ass attitude"

Didn't we have this same discussion after the System Shock episode?

WolverineDK wrote:

some colourful language so to speak, and I some times miss that kind of stuff in some online shows.

You might like The Spoony Experiment. He uses colorful language to good effect. That said, it's a very different show from what Gemini000 is going for. Ancient DOS Games is primarily an informational show where as other shows are focused on comedy. Judging from the Arctic Adventure episode that's not the way for Gemini000 to go.

Reply 97 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hey, WolverineDK is just proof of an old saying: "You can't please everyone." Even the most popular web show artists on the net are faced with tons of people who hate what they're doing.

WolverineDK doesn't seem to like the fact that I censor things out, that I don't swear (I don't even in regular life so why would I force myself to in my show), the fact that I add warnings about violence... I've learned that sometimes being the nicest person possible is the fastest way to annoy someone. We're only Human and we each see things in our own way.

If WolverineDK doesn't like my web show he doesn't have to watch it, or if he likes some episodes and hates others he'll let me know why and that's proof that he wants a good web show about DOS games. Some people will like what I'm doing, others won't. Life goes on and so will Ancient DOS Games. :)

Really though, I have nothing against swearing, violence, nudity, etc. The thing is, a very large portion of the visitors to my website are under the age of 18. Having a web show without violence warnings or such would be inappropriate. I wasn't about to raise the rating of my Mystic Towers episode from general to mature just because of the most minor amount of full frontal nudity you could have, so I decided to censor it instead. If I was doing a mature rated episode, such as for System Shock and Doom, I wouldn't have censored anything.

The nudity in Mystic Towers consists of both a painting and statue, common in towers A4, A6, W4 and W6, sporting full frontal nudity, breasts and all.

I agree though that sometimes censorship can be taken way out of context or to extremes. My feeling though is that so long as you're censoring yourself, then you can take creative liberties with that and do it in a way that makes for a good show. :)

I mean common, who here has watched those "unnecessary censorship" videos? ;D

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 98 of 3343, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Gemini000: I like your show a lot, and I respect your viewpoints, so I will leave it at that 😀 but as I have said before, the Danish "free mind" (frisind in danish) is something people could learn from . Because the old laid back attitude about nudity is something like this . "Oh there is a breast ? well let us have a smoke/cop of coffee etc" or at least the Danes used to be like that about a silly little bit of tit 😀 not like "Oh my god, think of the children when it comes to a "nude" breast" . But Gemini000, I like your shows, and I do not see you as annoying, cause I like to have a lovely language, I just prefer having the choice of using a "bad" word. Cause when I use such a word. I some times feel liberated 😀

Reply 99 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You'll get no arguement from me on that point. It's just amazing sometimes what can offend people and what can't, and I prefer to be as inoffensive as possible while still doing as good a job as possible. In fact, I find the task just that much more challenging that way, and I love a good challenge! ;)

Case in point: Back in Episode #28 when I called Rygil a "jerk", I actually did a half-hour of research to figure out the worst word I could call him, given the context of what he does, that wouldn't be considered a swear word and "jerk" was it.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)