Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
WolverineDK wrote:

the Danish "free mind" (frisind in danish) is something people could learn from

There is a saying we have over here in Australia:

If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all 😉

Gemini000 wrote:

You'll get no argument from me on that point. It's just amazing sometimes what can offend people and what can't, and I prefer to be as inoffensive as possible while still doing as good a job as possible.

Keep up the good work! I thoroughly enjoy your videos. Not many people these days take the time to thoroughly review old school games.

Reply 101 of 3346, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mau1wurf1977: nothing nice ? hmm I really like his shows, is that not nice ? 😀

Gemini000: yeah keep up the good , I feel I must add, cause there has not been a show like yours in a long while, and I like the stuff you are explaining too, so keep up the good work, but I will probably ask you other questions, when you make a new show 😀 since after all vogons, has made me realise this. I am here to learn 😀 And yeah there are extremely few people who takes their time to review old dos games like you.
Heck, I think if I should make some videos, it would be about old DOS games too. But I would choose youtube, cause certain things can go through there more easily, but I know they have a weird thing going on about nudity, cause in some stuff you can slip in a nipple, but in others you can not. But anyway, I am beginning to think, that I should make some youtube shows, about the old DOS games.

Reply 103 of 3346, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've had other thoughts swimming around my mind about other kinds of web shows, but something that bothers me is when one of my favourite web show artists diversifies too much. When that happens, the show they made that I loved becomes updated less and less because so much of their time has to go towards other projects, some of which I may not be interested in.

As it stands, I can make ADG at a rate of one episode per week and I don't want that to change. ;)

This is partly why I'm making filler episodes every so often, so I can diverge from the main format of my show and do something a little or completely different. I have some interesting fillers planned once I have a new camcorder, which should be very soon. I may also double the rate at which I make fillers, once every five episodes instead of once every ten, because the two fillers I've made so far have also been two of my most popular episodes, followed only by the Mega Man, System Shock and Dark Forces episodes.

And just for the curious, the Serve and Volley episode has been the least popular. That's what I get for having disturbing PC Speaker music at the end. ;P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 104 of 3346, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The filler episodes have been very informative!

I also realized that most of the game episodes are reviews of action games, and was wondering if you have any plans to dip more into other genres in the future.

Reply 105 of 3346, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah let's see you do a 20 minute review of a CARD GAME! or a 40 minute review of all of the "Tommy's Toys"!

As for the whole censorship issue... i've no problem with that at all, and i'm a getting-crap-past-the-radar kind of person (because 'offend' radars are much more fun to stealth in). One game I have a strong directive role for has some of the most blood and borderline nudity ever seen in many popular distro's apt-get repositories. On the other hand, it does stays clear away from swearing... so it might disappoint Wolverine a bit I think since I ThinkOfTheChildren(tm). All it's missing is cringingly realistic locational damage and gore with overdramatic death animations, genitalia and female nipples, and bot AND ANNOUNCER dialogue consisting 70% of fuck'nshits. Tell me, would this be a legit exercise of free speech, or would it be tasteless smut?

It should be noted that mannequins and statues, even if painted with anatomical correct coloring seems to get a free pass exception from censorship. EVEN ON TV. The "art" excuse works, even if it does titillate! Hell i've seen zombie nudity go by without a problem (RTCW, Killing Floor), so I guess it's a 'if it's living, then it's up for censoring' kind of thing.

Another reason to censor in mind is for the advertisers. You wouldn't want to screw their trust over and terminate their services.

Last edited by leileilol on 2010-12-21, 20:03. Edited 5 times in total.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 106 of 3346, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HunterZ wrote:

most of the game episodes are reviews of action games

I suspect the reason for that is action games are entertaining to watch while he talks.

Gemini000, there are some games that I'd like to see reviews of just for what nuances or strategies you might discover for them. However I think there would be much more material to talk about than to show.

• Alien Legacy
    Lightspeed and or Hyperspeed
    Mantis XF5700 Experimental Spacefighter
    Millennia: Altered Destinies

Reply 107 of 3346, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I believe it has more to do with popularity of the games. System Shock, Mega Man and Dark Forces are very well known.

I'm sure if he reviewed games like Wing Commander or Monkey Island his views would sky rocket. But these games have been reviewed to death and the games he reviews have hardly been reviewed to such a thorough extent.

Reply 108 of 3346, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

I believe it has more to do with popularity of the games. System Shock, Mega Man and Dark Forces are very well known.

He hasn't reviewed Blood yet. Blood is like the one dos game that today's new decade tweeny kids love due to the anti-heroness of it all (complimenting their stereotypical nu metal lifestyle) and the false sense on how 'abandonware' it is even if it's sold by GoG nowadays. It can't be denied the "Colbert Bump" was strong with this one when HOTU added it. The same day also did the same for System Shock 2. Deus Ex isn't even as widespread recognised as those two games. 🙁

Dune II is another "popular" DOS game among the young types, even if they don't play it through it, it's just heaping of praise like it changed the world... like the same with "classic books".

The Ultima series is severely underrated considering the 'new school dos abandonware generation' interest of these guys as if it never existed. So, keep that in mind, if you're going for popularity, target the '#3 DOS action/adventure game sold commercially'. Non-Epic/Apogee, Shareware games, popular games of other genres (sims, wargames, puzzles, card, etc) simply do not exist.

Last edited by leileilol on 2010-12-21, 20:18. Edited 3 times in total.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 109 of 3346, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Suggestion: An RSS feed would make it easier for me to catch new episodes of the show.

laxDRAGON.com | My Game Collection | My Computers | YouTube

Reply 110 of 3346, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

Dune II is another "popular" DOS game among the young types, even if they don't play it through it, it's just heaping of praise like it changed the world... like the same with "classic books".

I'm a member of the Atari generation. I loved Dune II, and it *was* a "game-changer". It invented the modern RTS genre: it was copied *very* closely by Warcraft I, and the Dune II team went on to make the Command & Conquer games.

The Ultima series is severely underrated considering the 'new school dos abandonware generation' interest of these guys as if it never existed. So, keep that in mind, if you're going for popularity, target the '#3 DOS action/adventure game sold commercially'. Non-Epic/Apogee, Shareware games, popular games of other genres (sims, wargames, puzzles, card, etc) simply do not exist.

I missed out on Ultima back in the day, but my cousin gave me an old Ultima I-VI Series CD-ROM at one point. Finally sat down and played through U1 last year and it was of course crude. Tried moving on to U2 and it was not any better. I put them down after that because I have a hangup about jumping ahead to sequels without playing the earlier games in a series.

My impression of the Ultima games so far is that they were more groundbreaking than truly fun.

Reply 111 of 3346, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ultima was amazing "at that time" but still quite hardcore. The later Ultimas are much more accessible.

There is also Ultima Underworld but me not being very much into RPG that rune spell system went straight over my head and I didn't get far at all. But at the time it was truly groundbreaking.

I think many of the Ultima Underworld developers ended up working on System Shock.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 112 of 3346, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ultima Underworlds.... pure masterpieces!!!!
Mau1wurf1977 you can focus on meelee and use some spells only, no need to become a master-mage 😁 I actually play them like that too 🤣 one day I hope I will have the piece of mind needed to finish them too!!!!

and here is proof UW1 is awesome:

th_Cimg0396.jpg

it comes with a map and runes!!!! 🤣 🤣 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 113 of 3346, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice!

I think the "openess" or "freedom" confused the hell out of me. I do need a bit of guidance as what to do next and so on. I just remember that I got to a point where I just didn't know what to do next, where to go next and giving up after a while...

My YouTube channel

Reply 114 of 3346, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ooooh .... well almost all utlima games seem like that to me TBH... it's one of their "trademarks" ... there is no shame in downloading a guide from gamefaqs and use it as a "plan of some sorts" ... nowdays with the limited time we have we are excused to do so 😁

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 115 of 3346, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea I have this obsession / habit / tick that I need to play it "the right way" and not miss out on anything. Choices in games almost have a traumatizing effect on me.

e.g. in Bioshock it took me ages to settle for "saving the girls". I don't ming games like Crysis where you know "what" you need to do but you can choose the "how" you are going to do it.

But yea too much choice isn't good for my health 🤣

My YouTube channel

Reply 116 of 3346, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Yea I have this obsession / habit / tick that I need to play it "the right way" and not miss out on anything. Choices in games almost have a traumatizing effect on me.

e.g. in Bioshock it took me ages to settle for "saving the girls". I don't ming games like Crysis where you know "what" you need to do but you can choose the "how" you are going to do it.

But yea too much choice isn't good for my health 🤣

Fortunately I don't have that hangup, but I do have a need to look under every rock and cart every bent tin can back to my stash or to a shopkeeper. Makes finishing Bethesda's open-world RPGs almost impossible.

Reply 117 of 3346, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Gemini000: What about reviewing Kaptajn Kaper in a future episode ? also the license is so long gone, and the English source is available. But get the English version, since you will probably not understand the Danish version , yeah that game is an old Danish game (made in 1983 by Peter Ole Frederiksen aka POF) (yeah long before Harald Hårdtand and the Screentroll Hugo).
And yes, you should review it 😁 cause you will see some of Denmark in the game 😀

http://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaptajn_Kaper_i_Kattegat (sadly there is no English version of the article) Maybe Amigaz can translate the article, or you can gramtrans the article into a rough English article.

Hell there is even a Java version available

http://www.javakaper.dk/

Reply 119 of 3346, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

If it's a Danish game and you are from Denmark, why not review it yourself? Sounds like the perfect game for you!

Yeah, But the thing is this, should I review in Danish or in English ?
Maybe I should review, in English. But hey Mau1würf1977 where are you from ? But anyway, I think the first episode of such a review from will be in the next year, and yeah I was actually thinking of doing that game as my first game review. Since it will mark at least the gaming map of Denmark long before Hugo, Oswald , Super Oswald and Harald Hårdtand and for that matter Guldkorns Expressen, which I bloody doubt is a Danish production, and the same goes to Harald Hårdtand, but the game The Jungle Animal Hugo/Jungledyret Hugo (aka. JungleJack) is based on a Danish childrens book, before it became a cartoon, and all that jazz.
But whether that game is programmed in Denmark or not, then that game is bound in Danish soil. But I will leave it at that, cause I will not go too much into Danish pride.