Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Topic actions

Reply 2220 of 3354, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gemini000 wrote:

Maybe I'll take a second look at it in a filler video at some point. I remember the game feeling distinctly NOT like Populous though so I'm very uninclined. 😜

That's how i am with fallout 3. For my PTB was my first look at populous BUT, unlike fallout they did release more classic style populous games later according to what you said in the video. I remember for command and conquer they made an FPS called renegade that was really fun despite being an FPS and not RTS.

Reply 2222 of 3354, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cdoublejj wrote:

That's how i am with fallout 3. For my PTB was my first look at populous BUT, unlike fallout they did release more classic style populous games later according to what you said in the video. I remember for command and conquer they made an FPS called renegade that was really fun despite being an FPS and not RTS.

I have C&C Renegade; no idea how or why since I never bought it myself. I found it a bit too overcomplicated. :/

As for Fallout 3, I specifically liked it better than the original Fallout games because of the divergence away from the strategy format, as I'm very bad at most strategy games. That said though, I can understand the frustration of someone coming from the earlier games, wanting more of the same, but getting a post-apocalyptic Oblivion instead. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 2223 of 3354, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gemini000 wrote:
cdoublejj wrote:

I have C&C Renegade; no idea how or why since I never bought it myself. I found it a bit too overcomplicated. 😒

As for Fallout 3, I specifically liked it better than the original Fallout games because of the divergence away from the strategy format, as I'm very bad at most strategy games. That said though, I can understand the frustration of someone coming from the earlier games, wanting more of the same, but getting a post-apocalyptic Oblivion instead. 😜

ahhh you bias is away from strategy. I found renegade pretty par for an FPS, fairly simple. this is the goal, here is bad guy, here is health pack and ammo.

Reply 2225 of 3354, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

Renegade always felt more like a plasticine Hasbro GI Joe game than a C&C game

This makes almost way too much sense. ;D

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 2227 of 3354, by SedrynTyros

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gemini000 wrote:
Ancient DOS Games Filler #46 - Ziggurat is online! […]
Show full quote

Ancient DOS Games Filler #46 - Ziggurat is online!

...and would you believe up until this video I was mispronouncing that word as "ZIG-URR-AHT"? ;D

...and would you believe it's a REAL word? 😳

Anyways... this is an indie game that was released only a few months ago and is probably one of the best indie first-person shooters I've ever played. Still not a perfect game by any means, but... well... go watch the video and you can see for yourself. It's extremely well polished, just could use some more features to give the player more control over the outcome of each run as it's a bit too random for its own good sometimes. 😜

Actually, I've kinda lost touch with modern gaming for the most part. Retro and indie seem to be the only two aspects I pay attention to anymore. Not that modern games are "bad", there's definitely some decent ones, I think it mostly comes down to me not wanting to pay $60 for something I may or may not like, when there's stuff that can be just as fun that's only $5 to $20. :B

Also, a lot of indie titles harken to the days of early gaming just in overall gameplay, if not also graphics, so it's easier for me to understand and play such things. 😉

Your videos are great. And thanks for the tip on Zig-gur .... that game. 😉

Reply 2229 of 3354, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Rod Primitive wrote:

Ziggurat

I'm pretty sure SedrynTyros knows, he's just being funny because it's a weird word to pronounce when you first see it. ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 2231 of 3354, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 156 - Electro Man / ElectroBODY is online!

...and WOW... this game was freakin' BORING. -_-

I literally almost fell asleep while playing through the fifth level when I eventually realized I was only semi-consciously playing the game. There's nothing technically wrong with this game, but there's nothing in here to serve as a grounding point to keep players interested. It just gets extremely monotonous, extremely fast.

*shrugs* ...still... would rather play this over Skunny Kart any day. :B

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 2233 of 3354, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
konc wrote:

I kinda like this kind of games, where you just play something without much stress and don't require absolute focus

I only lost focus because I was so incredibly bored. The game itself really is hard and frustrating and not relaxing at all. Give it a try for yourself and you'll see what I mean... >_>;

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 2234 of 3354, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gemini000 wrote:

The sound effects all sound ripped, but I'm not sure as I have no idea where any of them came from if they were.

heh, that "Jesus is here!!1" immediately reminded me of Front 242's Welcome to Paradise, since it's also used there. Apparently from an old sermon by some preacher named Ferrell Griswold.

To make it funnier, a common term for Front 242's style is 'EBM', which stands for "Electro Body Music"

thumb_high-expectations-asian-father-meme-generator-the-plot-thickens-9a9a00.jpg

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 2235 of 3354, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Actually, a fan sent in details of where every sound clip came from. I'll be posting it on my website at some point in the next day or two. :B

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 2236 of 3354, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gemini000 wrote:
konc wrote:

I kinda like this kind of games, where you just play something without much stress and don't require absolute focus

I only lost focus because I was so incredibly bored. The game itself really is hard and frustrating and not relaxing at all. Give it a try for yourself and you'll see what I mean... >_>;

I've been playing it since I was a kid, maybe it's because I'm so used to it that I find it (and similar games) relaxing. Like an old friend, stuborn and predictable, but still feels so comfortable around them 😉

Reply 2237 of 3354, by Bullmecha

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can't believe I just found this. Keep the classics rolling ADG !!!!

Just a guy with a bad tinkering habit.
i5 6600k Main Rig
too many to list old school rigs

Reply 2238 of 3354, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This game never seemed to fit my attention span, I don't recall ever making it past level 1. Heartlight Deluxe, by the same developers, was a far more entertaining game IMO.

Cool to hear about the original music cassette, I had no idea this even existed. Would love to hear that someday, and I'm sure a catchy sound track like in the intro screen would make this game much more interesting.

Reply 2239 of 3354, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Indeed heartlight was a delight to play whereas electroman was totally underwhelming. Amazing that you managed to play it for as long as you did 😀