Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Topic actions

Reply 701 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
WolverineDK wrote:

Gemini000: I really like your episodes, but as you can read in another post, then I have been extremely busy with real life. But anyway is there an editor for Catacomb or has that never been officially released ? Cause I doubt it is the TED5 editor you would be using.

AFAIK, the pseudo-sequel to Catacomb called "The Catacomb" had an editor for making your own levels, but unlike Catacomb which was free, The Catacomb was a part of the Gamer's Edge subscription disks so you had to pay for it.

SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:

I've never heard of the game. Maybe I'm just not into RPGs as much as other genres. Is it really supposed to be that well known?

I thought so... I guess not. ^_^;

SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:

You mention turning off GUS support. The default value is gus=false. I think it's been that way since it was pointed out that GUS interferes with the SB music in Quake.

I'm fairly certain GUS support is enabled by default; I could be wrong, but even if I'm not, it's probably a good idea to leave it off. When doing the DOSBox Settings in my reviews, I like to mention when a particular setting MUST be set to a particular value, even if it's the default value, just in case someone likes to have it set differently as their own personal default. ;)

Calvero wrote:

Maybe editing CT-VOICE.DRV will let you use other Sound Blaster settings.

Maybe, but unless you were working with retro hardware there wouldn't be much of a point considering DOSBox's configuration capabilities. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 702 of 3343, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

there was a whole web site devoted to catacomb and the open source sequel being made witch is now long dead. it also had a ton of info on the old catacomb games. maybe waybackmachine has an archive of it.

Reply 704 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Quick note for everyone: For my filler coming up, I actually managed to pick up an Intec Combat Arcade Stick today, clearance priced for about $25 after taxes.

One of these things: http://www.dennisgranau.com/2010/05/23/

Yes, it's primarily an old PS3 arcade stick that was originally released in 2009 (that apparently hasn't worked with PS3s since a firmware update awhile back) but it functions in such a generic way that Windows actually recognizes it and thus I can use it on my PC almost perfectly! (Except that the stick acts as a hat and thus whatever game I use it with has to be able to assign hat functionality to directional movement. Fortunately, Super Street Fighter IV is capable of that. ;)

So not counting my NES Advantage, this is my first arcade stick. :D

Also...

wd wrote:

I'm fairly certain GUS support is enabled by default

GUS is disabled by default (because some games don't work otherwise)

Good to know! :)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 705 of 3343, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:

You mention turning off GUS support. The default value is gus=false. I think it's been that way since it was pointed out that GUS interferes with the SB music in Quake.

Quake does support the GUS, but the way it does isn't really supported by DOSBox, think it's direct DMA access to the gus

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 706 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Filler #14 - Gemini's PC Joysticks & Gamepads is online!

...and since I'm dead tired at the moment, I'm going to bed. Goodnight, Everyone! ^_^;

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 707 of 3343, by nerka99

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

About your current Logitech pad... well it's not exactly shaped like dualshock. While it could be great pad i just couldn't get over fact that... ummm "molds" (sorry, can't figure out proper word) in which analogs are set are square shaped instead of circle shaped. So if your trying to do full circle in ur analog it kind of get stuck on corners, and thats FUBAR.

logo.jpeg cRPG Games Lexicon

Reply 708 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
nerka99 wrote:

About your current Logitech pad... well it's not exactly shaped like dualshock. While it could be great pad i just couldn't get over fact that... ummm "molds" (sorry, can't figure out proper word) in which analogs are set are square shaped instead of circle shaped. So if your trying to do full circle in ur analog it kind of get stuck on corners, and thats FUBAR.

True, it isn't really shaped all that much like a Dualshock controller, but it has all the same components anyways. (Granted, it doesn't have the pressure-sensitive buttons of the Dualshock2.)

One thing that's been fun is that I have Wipeout 3, which is probably one of the extremely few PS1 games to have Widescreen support, so rather than playing it on my PS2, since I have the Dual Action gamepad for my PC, I've actually been playing it emulated on my PC at 1920x1080 resolution and it works REALLY well that way! :)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 709 of 3343, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Gemini000: I loved the music in this filler episode, but God damn you are a whiny little bitch at times (sorry that I offend you, when in fact I really enjoy your show). But you mentioned the dual analogue Logitec pad. And well, you could always mod/tighten up that joystick. So I enjoyed your episode, but stop complaining and enjoy playing instead 😀

Reply 710 of 3343, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Reminds me of the several Gravis Joysticks I had. After a while they would all start to make loud squeaking noises...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 711 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
WolverineDK wrote:

Gemini000: I loved the music in this filler episode, but God damn you are a whiny little bitch at times (sorry that I offend you, when in fact I really enjoy your show). But you mentioned the dual analogue Logitec pad. And well, you could always mod/tighten up that joystick. So I enjoyed your episode, but stop complaining and enjoy playing instead :)

You don't offend me. You're like the embodiment of all kinds of internet users, bad and good, rolled into a single entity; You're kinda like chaos. ;D

And since I review stuff, complaining is kinda expected. All reviewers complain. :P

But I will admit, I do nit-pick quite a bit. You should see me when I'm programming. I've been known to spend entire days tweaking numbers just to make a movement algorithm feel perfect or something. I spent five hours once making absolutely sure that a set of three lasers fired side-by-side would always be the same distance from each other visually and not off by a SINGLE pixel. ^_^;

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 712 of 3343, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gemini000 wrote:
WolverineDK wrote:

Gemini000: I loved the music in this filler episode, but God damn you are a whiny little bitch at times (sorry that I offend you, when in fact I really enjoy your show). But you mentioned the dual analogue Logitec pad. And well, you could always mod/tighten up that joystick. So I enjoyed your episode, but stop complaining and enjoy playing instead 😀

You don't offend me. You're like the embodiment of all kinds of internet users, bad and good, rolled into a single entity; You're kinda like chaos. ;D

True, I am a bit chaotic that way. So I take that as a compliment 😀

Gemini000 wrote:

And since I review stuff, complaining is kinda expected. All reviewers complain. 😜

No worries 😀

Gemini000 wrote:

But I will admit, I do nit-pick quite a bit. You should see me when I'm programming. I've been known to spend entire days tweaking numbers just to make a movement algorithm feel perfect or something. I spent five hours once making absolutely sure that a set of three lasers fired side-by-side would always be the same distance from each other visually and not off by a SINGLE pixel. 😅

I think being in some ways specific and a bit of a perfectionist in programming is actually a good thing. Since I can not program (I have admitted that), then I do it with posts instead, such as double (a few cases of even triple) checking the post for grammatical errors. And if I am in a heated argument, where I am not looking for total destruction, of either the person I am writing too, and vice versa. Then I do some serious hard work to make sure. That I can look myself in the eyes , the next morning. Without feeling ashamed of what I posted or did towards the other person. And then when I am a bit at ease with myself about , what I have posted is good enough. Then if the person still, has been offended . And I was not looking for a total damnation of me, then I just shake my head and think "oh well, I did my best not to screw with him totally, but he still got offended because he wanted to be offended".

Reply 713 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 76 - Ugh! is online!

Despite how simple this game is there was a surprising amount of stuff to say about it for a variety of reasons. I think if it weren't for its ambiguous licensing state among other tid-bits, this would've been a much shorter episode. :O

I'm also surprised at how many people sent in guesses. Once again, a game I thought was obscure turned out not to be! ^_^;

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 714 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 77 - Star Wars: TIE Fighter is online!

I kinda wish I had more time this week to get better gameplay footage. Still, I've been far enough to know what's ahead and I also made sure to cross reference some stuff so that I could get as many details right as possible.

...and I still somehow made a mistake in saying that the TIE Bomber had dual ion cannons. XD

I cut both parts out where I had said that since I didn't have enough time left to re-do the voiceover. I guess this is what happens when you're trying to review games, make games, and work on non-computerized stuff, all at the same time. :P

I'm not very satisfied with how this review went from an editing standpoint, but hopefully the actual review part of the review is good enough. :)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 715 of 3343, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

nice review! I actually have the dos disk version on my shelf with the defender of the empire x-pack. I havent gotten around to playing it yet and honestly you moved it up the list!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 716 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 78 - Bio Menace is online!

Firstly, this is a mature rated episode, but only just barely. I really don't like how the rare person seems to have a problem with the fact that I would mature-rate anything DOS related for whatever reason so hopefully my explanation at the beginning of the video will suffice.

If it doesn't, then just deal with it. I don't want this thread to become mostly about mature-rating discussions, as there's been one almost every time and this is SUPPOSED to be a thread so that all us VOGONSers can talk about the content of my videos. :P

And speaking of content, this was a surprisingly hard game to talk about. I know I missed a bunch of points by focussing on the level design as much as I did, so I added a few of them to the additional information section below the video.

Also, since it's a mature rated video, here's the hint for the next episode: It's a game where you can climb into choppers and tanks and score all the overkills you can! As usual, send your guesses to adg@pixelships.com! ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 717 of 3343, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I'd forgotten those special moves in biomenance. Don't think I ever bothered playing it beyond the first episode, still it was a fun game.

Reply 718 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Harekiet wrote:

I'd forgotten those special moves in biomenance. Don't think I ever bothered playing it beyond the first episode, still it was a fun game.

That's why you think it's a fun game, because you never bothered playing beyond the first episode! ;D

I'm just kidding of course, some people do like the later episodes too because they really are hard as nails. You should give them a try at some point and see if it changes your opinion of the game or not. ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)