VOGONS

Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Topic actions

Reply 720 of 3343, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember playing that game when I was 12 or 13. Good times to shoot some shit, when you came home from being bullied at the shitty after school centre. Thankfully, when I was almost 14 I moved so far away. That I grew some chest hair. But I still hate to this day. Bullying, harassment and what not that makes children and young adults commit suicide. Since that is what is reality . So to get off some steam to Killer Instinct, Bio Menace, Wolfenstein was great . When I was a child / young teenager.

Cause who knows what would have happened, if I did not get help through adults who cared about me, and me playing some outright violent games. Cause being bullied, beaten, harassed from I was 7 until I was 11 in primary school, and two extra years from the after school centre. Would probably have gone totally bugger all. If I didn't have that outlet.

Reply 721 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
WolverineDK wrote:

I remember playing that game when I was 12 or 13. Good times to shoot some shit, when you came home from being bullied at the shitty after school centre. Thankfully, when I was almost 14 I moved so far away. That I grew some chest hair. But I still hate to this day. Bullying, harassment and what not that makes children and young adults commit suicide. Since that is what is reality . So to get off some steam to Killer Instinct, Bio Menace, Wolfenstein was great . When I was a child / young teenager.

Cause who knows what would have happened, if I did not get help through adults who cared about me, and me playing some outright violent games. Cause being bullied, beaten, harassed from I was 7 until I was 11 in primary school, and two extra years from the after school centre. Would probably have gone totally bugger all. If I didn't have that outlet.

For once, you've said something I can actually relate to... not to the same extent mind you. Most of the bullying I suffered in school was verbal abuse. Physical abuse was extremely rare for me and I think it only happened three or four times and in grades 4, 6, and 9. Computer and video games were pretty much my only form of escapism, and in the late 80s and early 90s, being into those kinds of things wasn't really all that "cool".

But then, who's got the last laugh now? I've had people literally beg me for computer or gaming help before! >:D

Though actually, for me, I didn't like violent games at first. The first time I played Doom (I was 11 years old) I could only stand it for about 2 minutes before I shut it off and went back to a shareware version of One Must Fall 2097. I left Doom on my computer though, and about 4 or 5 months later I was like, "Hmm... maybe I should actually give the game a chance." So I loaded it up again and realized that there was a lot more to the game than blood effects and guns. For one thing, looking past some of the satanic imagery, I really liked the architecture and just the way the levels were built in general, exploring for secrets and wondering if it was possible to get into every little courtyard that was seemingly empty. ;)

Nowadays, being far more experienced in game design, I've noticed that there's only two proper ways to put graphic violence in a game: As ambience to evoke realism, or as sensationalism as an artistic standpoint. Using excessive gore to "enhance" a game without using it in an artistic way usually just makes a game weaker. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 722 of 3343, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Gemini000: Now you know why I am SO much against bullshit censorship, it is thanks to certain parts of my childhood. I played quite a few violent games. But the important part is this, I knew the difference between reality and fiction. Oh by the way, another person he could maybe or maybe not have a relation to is Snake Plissken, from the "Escape" movies, where Kurt Russell plays the guy Snake Plissken, which Solid Snake is heavily inspired off.

Reply 723 of 3343, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I hate bullying too. Never had too much of a problem, I learnt how to tackle most bullies, I've had the occassional idiot. A couple of years ago, I was in class and had taken out my lunch and an asshole just grabbed a bite and said "Not bad" in a sarcastic way. Other than that, I don't think I've ever had to fight a bully.

But I also stood lucky I think. I don't wear glasses, I don't have any weird marks on my body or face, I'm not short or really tall etc. Also, I always was semi-popular, so I was mostly in good terms with both nerds and jocks alike 😜

But, I have to say, violent video games have always been fun. I remember me and my brother cracking up with all the death sequences in Fade To Black (some of them were downright hilarious, like the death due to
decompression 😜).

Doom and Quake are two games that I really enjoy in small bursts. I might run Doom to listen to how it sounds on the new soundfont I've loaded up and end up playing about half an hour and beating the first episode. It's just so much fun gunning down everything with the machine gun. And it's something you know you can never do in real life, so I think video games can really help in that department, make you realize what reality's limits are and allowing you to experience your "fantasies" if you want in a world where no harm is really done!

Masters of Doom gives some interesting insight in what let the id guys develop games like Wolfenstein 3D and Doom and I think John Romero in particular was regularly beaten by his stepdad. He resorted in creating violent comics in which a kid faced horrible deaths and then he just moved on to videogames. I guess for him they were just different means of expressing himself!

Reply 724 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 79 - Seek and Destroy is online!

This is one of my most favourite games of the 90s. I played the shareware version when it was brand new and knew I HAD to get this game. :3

Unfortunately, it's incredibly hard to find legit copies of this game nowadays, which is part of the reason why I've held off on reviewing it for so long. Heck, I had gameplay footage of this game in my introductory episode of ADG when I relaunched the series!

Actually, one thing I forgot to mention in the episode is that the shareware version of the game contains 40% of the entire game! So even if you can't get the full version, the shareware version is still worth the effort! ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 726 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, the drop in framerate from 57 to 29.97 probably doesn't help, and video compression algorithms don't seem to handle spins very well as there's all kinds of faint trails left behind. :/

It's actually easier to look at if you're the one playing because you know exactly what you're about to do and what to expect visually when you do it.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 727 of 3343, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
Gemini000 wrote:

Unfortunately, it's incredibly hard to find legit copies of this game nowadays

At RGB Classic Games, where you can download the shareware version of Seek and Destroy, there is a note that the game is still sold on CD for $15 at www.epicclassics.com, which apparently includes a 25-page game guide. I don't have any personal experience with purchasing from there; and it doesn't look like electronic delivery is offered.

Reply 728 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ripsaw8080 wrote:
Gemini000 wrote:

Unfortunately, it's incredibly hard to find legit copies of this game nowadays

At RGB Classic Games, where you can download the shareware version of Seek and Destroy, there is a note that the game is still sold on CD for $15 at www.epicclassics.com, which apparently includes a 25-page game guide. I don't have any personal experience with purchasing from there; and it doesn't look like electronic delivery is offered.

As I said in the review though, this place hasn't returned any of my eMails and hasn't been updated since 2008. I'd think twice before sending them any money considering... >_>;

And yeah, I forgot to mention in the review itself that the shareware version is actually about 40% of the entire game, so even that one's worth a play for anyone who can't find the full game. ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 729 of 3343, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

One should never send cash, anyway. 😉

The site registration is under the name of Paul Sweeney, possibly a relation of Tim Sweeney, and there is what looks like a personal email address and contact phone number that might get a response if the email address on the site itself does not.

Reply 730 of 3343, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Gemini000: Great episode 😀 I had a feeling when I heard the music, it was originally for the Amiga. Cause there is something about certain melodies , that makes you think about the Amiga immediately. And so was it with this game, but again it is no surprise that it had GUS support, cause GUS feels to me like Amiga sound with a few filters on to "soften" some of the Amiga sound´s roughness. Amigaz please do not kill me mate , I know you prefer the Amiga´s rough sound, which I personally think is smashing too. But the GUS does sound pretty fantastic too in its own right 😀

Gemini000: let me guess, the game´s music is in tracker file format ?

Reply 733 of 3343, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wd wrote:

I've removed some post that was using explicit language.

Yes you did, I wrote "What The Fuck ? ? ?" in the context of why on Earth are you correcting my grammar. When I am at least putting in a lot of commas and periods, question marks ! And what not ?

Cause I see no reason, why you should be the grammar Nazi . So if it was not aimed at me, then you have an apology. But if it was pointed at my grammar. Then my statement stands. Perhaps you are a moderator, but you do not need to be a Grammar Nazi, or an arse. Shame on you wd ! ! !

Last edited by WolverineDK on 2012-03-12, 00:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 735 of 3343, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I actually own a legit full copy of Seek and Destroy. 😁 I got it from a local thrift store for free along with a boxed SNES copy of Zombies Ate My Neighbors and an old Bon Jovi cassette when my dad and I dropped off a bunch of stuff there a few years ago. 🤣

Reply 736 of 3343, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I actually own a legit full copy of Seek and Destroy. 😁 I got it from a local thrift store for free along with a boxed SNES copy of Zombies Ate My Neighbors and an old Bon Jovi cassette when my dad and I dropped off a bunch of stuff there a few years ago. 🤣

that is cool 😀 sometimes you you are lucky experiencing that 😀

Reply 737 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 80 - TechnoVenture is online!

No one even attempted to guess what todays game would be and quite frankly, I'm not surprised. This game is pretty obscure and very primitive as far as late-90s DOS games are concerned, but that's part of the reason why I wanted to take a look at it, because even though it is incredibly basic it's still a fun game to play! :)

Also, April is Edutainment Month so I will be covering nothing but edutainment games, and in order to get a full set of 5 games in, after the filler next weekend, the next Episode of ADG will be pushed back one day to Sunday April 1st. Afterwards, episodes will resume their normal Saturday release schedules. ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 738 of 3343, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Gemini000: lovely little episode (which I saw yesterday). But I just happened to watch LGR today (yeah I actually enjoy LGR´s stuff a lot too) , and let us just say. Dear Gemini000, please do NOT ever get a beard in the style of Richard Stallman(even though that man bloody rocks, which is a completely different story). But keep on making episodes today, and having long heavy metal headbanging hair. Rocks ! ! !